SMB - I have to enter my password everythime I reboot TrueNas

BRIO

Dabbler
Hello hello!

I built 2 different POOL using the same hardware (1 POOL with HDD and another one with M.2 SSD. All connected to the same Motherboard). I've been using both POOL since summer 2023 without any problem using Windows 10 as my OS. Everything was working perfectly until I decide to withdraw my M.2 POOL to use the drives for something else. All I did was to remove the PCIe card with the M.2 drives from the NAS which now show up as "data not available" which is pretty normal.

Screenshot_56.png

That being said, once I plug everything back together (without the M.2 SSD NAS) I have now trouble getting access to my HDD POOL since SMB user password is not remembered anymore. Everytime I reboot my NAS, I have to enter the password in TrueNas in order to access my files through Windows.

Screenshot_58.png

Screenshot_57.png

Any idea what could be the cause of that problem and how I could correct that so I don't have to enter my user password everytime I reboot my NAS? And let me know if you need any more information to help me to clear that problem!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It might be that some boot process steps are failing leaving system dataset uninitialized. If you run the command midclt call smb.configure -job after booting does the issue go away? Maybe your system dataset was originally on the pool you yanked and you didn't migrate it to a different pool cleanly?

BRIO

Dabbler
It might be that some boot process steps are failing leaving system dataset uninitialized. If you run the command midclt call smb.configure -job after booting does the issue go away? Maybe your system dataset was originally on the pool you yanked and you didn't migrate it to a different pool cleanly?
Sorry for being noob but where should I enter that command exactly? in windows CMD or in the shell of TrueNas?

par

Explorer
I'm having the same exact issue as the OP where "FAST" pool offline and SMB not working after a reboot of CORE TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1. Tried restarting the SMB service through webui, it started again but still was not working through Windows mounted network volume. However after trying that command, the output went to 100%, then output "null", now the share is accessible again over SMB. Something weird seems to be going on with this 13.0-U6.1 after rebooting the NAS.

BRIO

Dabbler
I'm having the same exact issue as the OP where "FAST" pool offline and SMB not working after a reboot of CORE TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1. Tried restarting the SMB service through webui, it started again but still was not working through Windows mounted network volume. However after trying that command, the output went to 100%, then output "null", now the share is accessible again over SMB. Something weird seems to be going on with this 13.0-U6.1 after rebooting the NAS.
Okk! So just to make sure I'm doing the right thing here and don't break my NAS, all I have to do is enter that command in the shell and hit "Enter"?

Screenshot_56.png

par

Explorer
Okk! So just to make sure I'm doing the right thing here and don't break my NAS, all I have to do is enter that command in the shell and hit "Enter"?
Yes, confirming that command is safe and will temporarily get your SMB share back online temporarily until the next reboot. When I ran that just a few moments ago, Windows instantly connected to the share in Explorer without me needing to do anything further.

I have not solved the issue with the SSD storage pool being OFFLINE yet. Similar issue posted here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/system-dataset-pool-is-offline.115677/

BRIO

Dabbler
Yes, confirming that command is safe and will temporarily get your SMB share back online temporarily until the next reboot. When I ran that just a few moments ago, Windows instantly connected to the share in Explorer without me needing to do anything further.
Damn, so it's just temporary? From your experience there is no permanent way to fix it, right?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Damn, so it's just temporary? From your experience there is no permanent way to fix it, right?
I'd have to see full system debug (system->advanced->save debug). It's not an expected situation. That said, your system dataset pool must be reliably available.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
All I did was to remove the PCIe card with the M.2 drives from the NAS which now show up as "data not available" which is pretty normal.
In this case, the pool should be Exported/Disconnected from TrueNAS first, as the middleware is now looking for that pool and can't find it.

If you look under System -> Advanced and scroll down to the Storage section, which pool is assigned as your System Dataset Pool? If it is unassigned or expecting to be on "FAST" then you should change it to reside on your (still-present) STORAGE pool instead.

BRIO

Dabbler
I just solved it! All I have to do is to change the boot priority in "System / System Dataset", then I had to change it to the current Pool that is still connected. Hope that can help anyone with the same problem! Have a great day!

Screenshot_2.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I just solved it! All I have to do is to change the boot priority in "System / System Dataset"
This is not the boot priority.