Slow SMB Read/Write Speeds

jajross

Cadet
I am very new to TrueNAS and have set up a server to host two SMB Shares - I have set this up but only get ~60MB/s read/write on each share.

CPU: Intel i3-13100
RAM: 1x16GB DDR4
MB: MSI H610M-B with Intel I219-V NIC
PCIe NIC: Intel I210 1Gb
Boot Drive: 240GB SATA SSD
NVMe Drive: 4TB PCIe Gen4
HDD: 2x2TB 3.5" 7500RPM

Pool 1: 4TB NVMe (single drive)
Pool 2: 2x2TB HDD (striped)*

*Currently testing the system before deployment - this will contain multiple larger drives in RAIDz

I am confused why my SMB Shares for each pool have the same read/write speed as the HDD should reach read speed between 80-120MB/s and the NVMe should read around 3500MB/s (due to motherboard M.2 Gen3). I know my NICs are going to bottleneck down to 1Gbps = 128MB/s but I am currently getting half of that!

In my tests, I have used a MacBook Pro and used Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and this has been the only client connected to the NAS.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
In my tests, I have used a MacBook Pro and used Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and this has been the only client connected to the NAS.

Morning @jajross - welcome!

What version of macOS is the MBP running? We've seen some slower-than-expected results from newer builds especially, due to them using particular settings for SMB and especially extra pieces of metadata that get written alongside - I'm not a Mac user myself, so I can only relay what I've heard from others.

Are you able to test through a different source machine (eg: Windows, Linux) just by copying files on and off, or is the intended use case of the system going to be exclusively macOS?

jajross

Cadet
Hi @HoneyBadger!

Thanks for your quick response.

MBP is up to date with Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1. (M2 Max, 64GB)

I will run a test through Windows now, but the use case of the NAS is exclusively for Mac as the NAS is for Final Cut Pro storage - I am hoping that I will be able to edit directly from the NAS once I get a 10Gbit NIC but not wanting to do that upgrade if there is something else causing the 60MB/s bottleneck.