slow speed on SMB share 355kb/s

artlessknave

Wizard
Here is what I got with wifi
TrueNAS doesn't support wifi. even if you can get it to "work", its not going to work well, as there is no support for it. servers belong on a wired connection.

Davvo

MVP
TrueNAS doesn't support wifi. even if you can get it to "work", its not going to work well, as there is no support for it. servers belong on a wired connection.
TrueNAS itself doesn't, but you can use wifi to access the Shares. I do so for my time machine share since we don't have any spare ethernet cables at home.

justnth

Dabbler
got you!
Is the cache drive necessary? it is running of a pcie-sata card (NAS is headless without GPU), if I can live without the cache drive, I will go and get an intel pcie-ethernet card to make it proper hardware for the setup

Davvo

MVP
got you!
Is the cache drive necessary? it is running of a pcie-sata card (NAS is headless without GPU), if I can live without the cache drive, I will go and get an intel pcie-ethernet card to make it proper hardware for the setup
You should remove that cache drive a priori. L2ARC demands at least 64GB of RAM.

justnth

Dabbler
Found the problem finally, the slow speed of iperf was resulted by ipv4 prefix length set to the wrong value on pc, guess that was a typo.

Well, the iperf testing with wired network (1Gbps) on pc only can get about 260-270Mbits/s, while wireless on pc got about 300-400Mbits/s (not wifi 6)
are these speed looking normal?

on pc the motherboard is b550i from ROG, Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet, and Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200
however I am not running with wifi6 at the moment only whole home wifi from TP-link last gen Deco M5
pc wired to a unit of M5, Nas running off the router M5
I guess that is where the problem is, different unit of the M5 influence the speed.

(Also, installed he.net on android phone, when connected to router wifi, it got about 210-410Mbits/s with occasionally 500mbits/s, when connected to another M5 unit, it went down to 100-150Mbits/s)

Last edited:

justnth

Dabbler
No. With SCALE you would be trying to support that L2ARC on only 8GB of ARC, making the ARC crisis on your system worse.

There is no "wrong" Realtek driver, the Realtek silicon - particularly the 8111 - is just an awful product. What you do is get rid of it. Go buy an Intel Desktop CT ethernet adapter -- make sure you get a real one, not a knockoff, should be about $35, plug it in, and then move on with your very much faster and better life. Then never buy another Realtek mainboard. :smile:

A Pi is unlikely to ever get gigabit ethernet performance. You aren't getting a meaningful test here.
do you have any suggestions which one to get? Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
do you have any suggestions which one to get? Thanks

Yes. Get a genuine "Intel Desktop CT" (Intel EXPI9301CT) ethernet adapter. They usually run about $35. Get it from CDW or Mouser or some other reputable vendor who is tied into the US supply chain. Do not get it from eBay or Amazon or NewEgg, as you stand a much better chance of getting a knockoff product from a back alley in Shenzhen. The return shipping cost and annoyance of having to deal with returning a fake is worth the $35 all on its own. If it is not about $35 there's a good chance it's a knockoff. The pain in your wallet of spending on a legit card will be offset by the joy of problem-free gigabit.

Whattteva

Wizard
Well, the iperf testing with wired network (1Gbps) on pc only can get about 260-270Mbits/s, while wireless on pc got about 300-400Mbits/s (not wifi 6)
are these speed looking normal?
No, it's not normal. I have the same exact motherboard (ROG B550) you have for my PC and my iperf speeds are reaching 900+ Mbps. The fact you're only getting a third of the speed and actually less speed than your WiFi card is puzzling. I suppose the problem then, lies with the NAS.

justnth

Dabbler
Yes. Get a genuine "Intel Desktop CT" (Intel EXPI9301CT) ethernet adapter. They usually run about $35. Get it from CDW or Mouser or some other reputable vendor who is tied into the US supply chain. Do not get it from eBay or Amazon or NewEgg, as you stand a much better chance of getting a knockoff product from a back alley in Shenzhen. The return shipping cost and annoyance of having to deal with returning a fake is worth the $35 all on its own. If it is not about $35 there's a good chance it's a knockoff. The pain in your wallet of spending on a legit card will be offset by the joy of problem-free gigabit.
Thanks a lot! In the UK here. LoL do not have the better supply chain, but do have Mouser here.

justnth

Dabbler
No, it's not normal. I have the same exact motherboard (ROG B550) you have for my PC and my iperf speeds are reaching 900+ Mbps. The fact you're only getting a third of the speed and actually less speed than your WiFi card is puzzling. I suppose the problem then, lies with the NAS.
I guess it is my wifi network, the Deco M5 unit has only got 1Gbps ports, if you have got 2.5Gbps connection for your PC, I have got about the same ratio of reduction based on the norminal bandwidth

Davvo

MVP
I guess it is my wifi network, the Deco M5 unit has only got 1Gbps ports, if you have got 2.5Gbps connection for your PC, I have got about the same ratio of reduction based on the norminal bandwidth
With 1Gbps you should be getting at least 600Mbps if you are using LAN.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
No, I think you misunderstood me. Those 900+ Mbps numbers is with the 2.5 Gbps card operating ONLY at 1Gbps since my switch ports are only 1 Gbps switch. What I'm saying is, you're not even getting anywhere near 1 Gbps speeds. You're getting more like 250-400 Mbps speeds.

justnth

Dabbler
No, I think you misunderstood me. Those 900+ Mbps numbers is with the 2.5 Gbps card operating ONLY at 1Gbps since my switch ports are only 1 Gbps switch. What I'm saying is, you're not even getting anywhere near 1 Gbps speeds. You're getting more like 250-400 Mbps speeds.
I see, so for 1Gbps port, one can get to almost the theoretical values, good to know, I always thought it was about half that you can get.
I think it might be limited to my setup at the moment.
I got a few Deco M5, rated at 867Mbps for 5Ghz wifi and 400Mbps for 2.4 Ghz wifi.
My pc is on 1st floor, NAS and Router M5 is on ground floor. When connected to LAN, it is PC to M5 unit, M5 to M5 router downstairs, NAS to M5 router unit on LAN. SO I think I have got a few limiting factors, one is when more than 2m apart, M5 to device speed is slower then within 2m range (X20 has this by almost half the speed).

I have made some test by copying a bunch of files, wifi can get around 500-600Mbits/s at peak.

So I think the solution is to connect PC to the same M5 unit, (which resulted a higher speed shown as connected via wifi). But the M5 has only got two ports, the router unit need to connect to the modem, hmm.... seems need some upgrading there too. Any suggestions on an affordable mesh wifi system that has more LAN ports and parental control? Thanks in advance.

artlessknave

Wizard
considering getting a ruckus r610/r710 or newer (not a r730 though)
they are dedicated enterprise access points designed to cover whole buildings.
they are being replaced (r650/r750) and can be found all over ebay for decent prices

Whattteva

Wizard
I see, so for 1Gbps port, one can get to almost the theoretical values, good to know, I always thought it was about half that you can get.
I think it might be limited to my setup at the moment.
Yes, this is often the case with WiFi, but with ethernet, you should be getting at least 90%.

justnth

Dabbler
Yes, this is often the case with WiFi, but with ethernet, you should be getting at least 90%.
Thanks. And thank you all for who has put time and effort reading my problem.

I have now got it fixed completely (not quite, but almost).

So in summary, the problem first is the PC, subnet settings was wrong, resulting in slow speed. however, the subsequent well below par speed was caused by my mesh wifi system.

I was using Deco M5, whole home mesh wifi system, without wired backhaul connection, therefore the PC located in the first floor wired to one addon unit M5, NAS was in the ground floor wired to the main Deco unit (router). So all my problem with speed seemed to be that. When the PC connected to the NAS via wires, it connected via the addon Deco unit, and when on wifi, it can connect directly to the router Deco unit, thus the speed was quicker via wifi, but due to WIFI5, the speed was limited to about 500Mbits/s. Also the NAS LAN chip was realtek, not ideal at all.

I have now got some wifi6 units replacing the Deco M5, and both with wifi and LAN, the iperf test shows around 870-940Mbits/s. Mission almost acomplished. The last thing there is to put in a proper LAN card in the NAS.

Thank you all once again for your help.

Client connecting to 192.168.68.200, TCP port 20
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[ 1] local 192.168.68.126 port 11502 connected with 192.168.68.200 port 20
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 1] 0.00-1.00 sec 106 MBytes 891 Mbits/sec
[ 1] 1.00-2.00 sec 112 MBytes 937 Mbits/sec
[ 1] 2.00-3.00 sec 112 MBytes 940 Mbits/sec
[ 1] 3.00-4.00 sec 113 MBytes 948 Mbits/sec
[ 1] 4.00-5.00 sec 111 MBytes 934 Mbits/sec
[ 1] 5.00-6.00 sec 110 MBytes 919 Mbits/sec