Updating to 13 (from 12U8) forces 1TB quota on Time Machine share

saspus

Dabbler
Updating to 13 from 12U8 forces 1TB quota on Time Machine share.

Namely,
1. 1TB quota being added to Time Machine user's child dataset
2. "zfs_core:base_user_quota = 1TB" flag added to SMB configuration

If existing users' backup is larger than that the Time Machine prints (a bit misleading) message "The selected network backup disk does not support the required capabilities - please choose a different network backup disk".

To workaround I had to both

1. Remove the quota from the dataset
2. and add "zfs_core:base_user_quota = 0" in Auxiliary Parameters of the share, otherwise, the setting would return every boot (as seen by "testparm -s")

saspus

Dabbler
Can you please point me to where in the WebUI is this configurable (other than in the SMB advanced settings Aux Parameters, as I had to do)?

Still, I was upgrading from 12.0-U8.1 to 13, and the 1TB limit got imposed after upgrade. If the feature was there in 12 it must have been off ( since my time machine backup was allowed to reach 6+ TB). Therefore, after upgrading to 13, it should have remained off. The fact that it did not -- is a bug.

It's questionable approach though to impose a random limit like this one to begin with.

awasb

Patron
... and it's still there, if one reverts back to 12-U8.1.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's a dataset user quota that gets applied on first SMB tree connect to a path if it doesn't already exist. Just go to storage panel and there's a three-dot menu where you can adjust it.

saspus

Dabbler
... and it's still there, if one reverts back to 12-U8.1.
Yes! It's called differently though -- in 13 it was zfs_core:base_user_quota and in 12 it became ixnas:default_user_quota. I had to edit it when I reverted back to 12.

It's a dataset user quota that gets applied on first SMB tree connect to a path if it doesn't already exist
That's what I thought it to mean, but why did it get applied on an existing dataset, the one with 6TB backup sitting right there?

User experience: 12, backup works, upgrade to 13, backup breaks, Macs complain that backup cannot be started. Somethign is not being preserved somewhere.

Edit: Moreover, if I go and remove the quota from the dataset -- on next boot it is no longer present on the dataset as expected, and yet in SMB settings 1TB quota gets enforced again. This is clearly wrong: once I manually deleted the automatically added quota, SMB share configuration should stop adding it as well.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes! It's called differently though -- in 13 it was zfs_core:base_user_quota and in 12 it became ixnas:default_user_quota. I had to edit it when I reverted back to 12.

That's what I thought it to mean, but why did it get applied on an existing dataset, the one with 6TB backup sitting right there?

User experience: 12, backup works, upgrade to 13, backup breaks, Macs complain that backup cannot be started. Somethign is not being preserved somewhere.

Edit: Moreover, if I go and remove the quota from the dataset -- on next boot it is no longer present on the dataset as expected, and yet in SMB settings 1TB quota gets enforced again. This is clearly wrong: once I manually deleted the automatically added quota, SMB share configuration should stop adding it as well.
No. Still not a bug. The check is whether a quota exists and set it if it's not there. The feature was added for large environments with large numbers of users where auto-generating user quota and limiting size of time machine is desirable (having a base level of this), if you need to go above 1 TiB, just increate to 10 TiB or whatever.

saspus

Dabbler
I see. This is not unreasonable.

Can you please confirm that setting zfs_core:base_user_quota = 0 (or does it have to be non-zero to persist?) in the SMB share Auxiliary Parameters settings would be correct approach? Or is there some other global switch elsewhere that controls these types of automatic quotas?

Also, still unclear, if the feature was introduced in 12, why do I see its effects only when upgrading to 13?

Last edited: