Setting Time Machine Quota on TrueNAS 12?

Robertr

Dabbler
I've been searching for the solution but can't find any.
I've tried the old solution that worked on FreeNAS 11.

How to set a limit to each time machine backup?
I tried placing the .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist file both in the root of the "Multi-user time machine" share and the individual filesystem created after a user logs into it.
Time Machine on the Macs report the available space to be the entire pool.

EDIT:
I just set User Data Quota on the file system for each user on the Time Machine share and it seems like the Time Machine clients recognise this but I don't know if this is the correct method or how it will turn out when they get full.
If anyone can verify that this is the right way to do it I would be grateful.
Would also be great if there was a method to have any new client logging into this share getting a data quota automatically.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've been searching for the solution but can't find any.
I've tried the old solution that worked on FreeNAS 11.

How to set a limit to each time machine backup?
I tried placing the .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist file both in the root of the "Multi-user time machine" share and the individual filesystem created after a user logs into it.
Time Machine on the Macs report the available space to be the entire pool.

EDIT:
I just set User Data Quota on the file system for each user on the Time Machine share and it seems like the Time Machine clients recognise this but I don't know if this is the correct method or how it will turn out when they get full.
If anyone can verify that this is the right way to do it I would be grateful.
Would also be great if there was a method to have any new client logging into this share getting a data quota automatically.
Multi-user time machine share automatically should set a ZFS user quota of 1TiB on the newly created dataset. Assuming you're using different usernames for each of the client macs, this should just work automatically. You can edit user quotas in the GUI (they're separate from dataset quotas).

masru

Dabbler
I added this to share -> edit -> advanced options -> Auxilliary Parameters

(Version 12 RC1)

fruit:time machine max size = 700 G

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I added this to share -> edit -> advanced options -> Auxilliary Parameters

(Version 12 RC1)

fruit:time machine max size = 700 G
This is a different sort of parameter. The former applies a limitation on how much data a given user can write to a dataset, the latter is a limit on size of a given time machine sparsebundle volume.

Robertr

Dabbler
Thanks guys!
I wanted to limit the size of sparse bundles as one user can have several machines.
But the ability to limit data per user is also great!
I wish I could limit the sparse bundle size onuses basis so that some users can have bigger than others.

m0nKeY

Cadet
Multi-user time machine share automatically should set a ZFS user quota of 1TiB on the newly created dataset. Assuming you're using different usernames for each of the client macs, this should just work automatically. You can edit user quotas in the GUI (they're separate from dataset quotas).
Sorry for reopening this thread.

Apparently this is not the case. It automatically creates sub-datasets per user, but no user quota is set. If I want to do it manually do I have to set the user quota onto the parent-dataset or the sub-user-dataset?

Greetings
m0nKeY

Last edited: