Hidden files on Time Machine share

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

I found these files on my Time Machine share (SMB) and silly past me did not document anything about them:
Code:
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody  nogroup  uarch  228 Jul  2 22:01 .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody  nogroup  uarch    0 Jul  2 22:01 .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist.FreeNAS-managed
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody  nogroup  uarch    0 Jul  2 22:01 .com.apple.timemachine.supported

Searching revealed that the first plist limits the amount of space a single TM backup will take. Fittingly set to 500 GB - I have two Macs using the share as a backup drive. I am still wondering what the second does and if all of these were created by TrueNAS/FreeNAS in the past, because the timestamp is identical. I could not find any setting in the UI corresponding to the 500 G TM quota, though ...

Any hints welcome.

Thanks!
Patrick

colmconn

Contributor
These might help:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks, @colmconn - I already found as much. My question is more like "did I manually put those there, then forgot about it?". Of course nobody but me has a chance to answer that. But then follows: "if yes, what is this .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist.FreeNAS-managed, then?" and "is it possible that FreeNAS put those files there? If yes, where is the UI for that ..?".

Kind regards,
Patrick

colmconn

Contributor
Reading through the code, think enabling a quota triggers their creation. The commit went in in 08 sept 2018.
If you look at the blame history you can see the commit (and it's message) around line 195. https://github.com/freenas/freenas/...src/middlewared/middlewared/etc_files/afpd.py

I have a TM share (served via AFP) but have none of these files even though I have a quota set on the dataset. I suspect this is because the dataset predates this commit by about 14 months.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks a lot! Now everything is obvious. It's in the AFP sharing options - see screen shot.

Of course I ran my Mac client only home network on AFP for years. So the quota files were put there by FreeNAS, hence I could not remember.
Then I switched everything to SMB recently-ish.

So I'll delete the FreeNAS-managed managed one, since it isn't anymore. And put a link to some documentation you referenced on my private Wiki. Generally it seems to work as it should over SMB, too.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-30 um 17.17.06.png