Slow Samba read to Windows fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Le

Cadet
Hi -

Posting this because I couldn't find a fix on the forums and found it somewhere else.
My system:
Dell NX300
16gb ram
4x 6GB SAS nearline on a PERC H200 in IT mode RAIDZ
My symptoms:

Slow transfer speeds, specifically READS from CIFS. 9-10MBps read, but a full 110MBps write sustained.

Problem isolation:

I was able to isolate the problem by trying doing a transfer from/to a different device (the old NAS that this was replacing) (rsync over NFS) was as fast as the old hardware provided (70-80MBs).

IPerf showed consistent 900+MBs

DD tests showed way higher numbers (like 1.6gbs).

What's interesting is that a WIRELESS client got 30MB/s !! Something was definitely wrong on the client side, specifically driver.

The fix:

After determining that it was indeed the client, I started searching for freenas issues to Windows via CIFS but I found the fix after searching for broader terms (windows 10 slow network speed).

The actual fix was just disabling Large File Offload in the network adapter settings. Boom - 110M/s. The specific steps are here: http://www.peerwisdom.org/2013/04/25/disabling-large-send-offload-windows/

Hope it helps someone else too!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When doing dd tests you need to run them in a dataset that has compression disabled. Your dd tests are invalid.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

katamaxcower

Cadet
I signed up just to say that you are my hero OP.

Even file browsing was painfully slow before implementing the fix. My NAS is a speed demon now.

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.