slow read speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

progsup

Cadet
Some Info:

Running FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC2-amd64 (7813). My hardware allows for a 120Mb/s read speed. My network allows for a maximum of 100Mb/s transfer speed (gigabit).

I am able to write to my freenas box at 80Mb/s (using CIFS/SMB). Reading however using CIFS/SMB yields an incredible slow performance (to both windows and linux boxes). It started out at something like 1.3 Mb/s with large RW and AIO enabled. At some point I discovered that send file could be the cullprit and disabled it. Read speed went up to the expected 80 Mb/s. I decided to try tinkering with the read write buffer sizes and added some auxiliary parameters. CIFS started to transfer really slow again. Now here is the weird part, I removed the aux. settings and performance stayed bad. Suspecting a config update corruption I started checking how changing trough the web interface effected the smb.conf file. Here are my conclusions:

Clicking use sendfile gives me a "use sendfile=yes" entry. Enabling it gives me no entry in the smb.conf file. Is this correct?

Almost the same thing happened with the large readwrite setting. Enabling did not put an "use large readwrite=yes" option in my smb.conf file. It left the setting out.

putting use sendfile=no in the auxiliary setting improved my transferrate to 30mb/s. Adding use large readwrite=yes downgraded my read performance again.

my conclusions:
1) its not my network
2) its not my client
3) its not my disk transfer speed
4) its setting related to CIFS/SMB
5) Possible there is a bug in updating from the web-interface to the smb.conf file.

I am totally puzzled over this, any help on how to get my read speed over CIFS/SMB in order would be appreciated.

huberte

Explorer
Same here, ftp with 75 MB/S,SMB with 25 MB/S (and only 2% CPU)

It would be nice if someone could post a good smb.conf file...

progsup

Cadet
Try to disable Windows 7 bandwidth throttling and test again. Here is what I did (trying to totally wreck this feature):

1. Disable ip6 on the network adapter
2. Disable QoS on the network adapter
3. Disable Interrupt moderation on the network card
4. Disable the Multimedia Class Schedulern service (MMCSS)
5. Edit the registry with the tweaks found here: http://www.daveherbert.info/network-bandwidth-throttling-in-windows-7
6. Try some of the tweaks found here: http://pcplus.techradar.com/feature/features/tune-windows-networking-09-03-11

or remove the need to move large files from Windows to your file server all together ;-)

huberte

Explorer
Tried all that today : same, and sometimes worth with CIFS....

really a *ù*ù$^$^*ù protocol

BUT !

Now,I'm with more than 100MB/S with my ftp :D. Strange sometimes the speed decrease to 0 and then go up to 100MB/S

thanks anyway,I think I'll stuck with ftp, all those Regedit tweaks makes me tired

Status
Not open for further replies.