BUILD Silverstone DS380

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadamwil

Explorer
Hello All,
I got my Silverstone DS380 in that I am going to use in my NAS build. Haven't sorted out the motherboard quite yet, but thought I would drop some pictures of it as I feel it is almost a perfect NAS box. If you have any questions let me know.

http://cadamwil.smugmug.com/Other/2014-02-01-by-Eye-Fi

Adam

morxy49

Contributor
Really longing for this chassis! :)
Can you press the powerbutton through the front door?
And how good quality does the hdd plastic thingey have? :p

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk

cadamwil

Explorer
Really longing for this chassis! :)
Can you press the powerbutton through the front door?
And how good quality does the hdd plastic thingey have? :p

The power button can be pressed through the door, but not the reset. It can also be locked out and the door locked close with a hex key. The hard drive trays feel of similar quality to any other plastic enterprise hard drive trays. Not as beefy as the Dell aluminum trays in equallogic SANs and some current Dell servers.

Adam

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
That looks like a really nice case. Do the side-fans provide airflow over the harddrives, and what size motherboard fits in there?

cadamwil

Explorer
Yeah, the side fans are the intake fans and are 120 mm fans. They are blowing on the hard drive cage and should keep the hard drives pretty cool. The motherboard size is mini-ITX. There is also a motherboard that Asrock claims will fit and it is 21.3cm by 17cm, which is a good bit bigger than the mini ITX spec. I will double check Asrock a bit later and then probably settle on that board for my build.

Adam

morxy49

Contributor
Yeah, the side fans are the intake fans and are 120 mm fans. They are blowing on the hard drive cage and should keep the hard drives pretty cool. The motherboard size is mini-ITX. There is also a motherboard that Asrock claims will fit and it is 21.3cm by 17cm, which is a good bit bigger than the mini ITX spec. I will double check Asrock a bit later and then probably settle on that board for my build.

Adam

I think asrock proved it with a picture on their facebook page. Can't find it though :p

cadamwil

Explorer
I had two questions on the case. The first was the gap between the back of the case and the drive cage, and what thickness of liquid cooler would fit there. The answer is pretty much any of them, it is over 5". The other question was if the 20.3cm x 17cm motherboard from Asrock will fit. On that one I think the answer is yes, but it will be insanely tight. The distance between the power supply and the case wall can't be more than 20.5mm. Hope this helps.

Adam

cadamwil

Explorer
Honestly, since I haven't had it running with reads and writes occurring, I can't say. However, it feels pretty secure. I wouldn't think there is much room for drive/tray noise.

vlad1966

Dabbler
Cadamwil,

Where did you buy it from?
I'm also considering this case for my next FreeNAS build but haven't found it anywhere online for purchase.

cadamwil

Explorer

someuser

Cadet
I've just ordered my Silverstone case and still haven't decided on a motherboard etc yet. Which one did you go for?

cadamwil

Explorer
I ran out of money due to some car issues, but I plan on using the Asrock C2750D4I. I really wanted to try the Asrock with the built-in LSI HBA, but I am almost 100% positive it will not fit properly with a normal SFX power supply. I am hopefully about to get started again with a lot of 2GB hard drives, motherboard and RAM.

someuser

Cadet
Awesome. Exactly what I want to do with mine. It's very hard to find one of those motherboards here in Australia so I suspect when the time comes I may settle for something else though.

I'll check out the situation again in late May when I plan to buy the rest of my build.

reza fahmie

Cadet
Hello All,
I got my Silverstone DS380 in that I am going to use in my NAS build. Haven't sorted out the motherboard quite yet, but thought I would drop some pictures of it as I feel it is almost a perfect NAS box. If you have any questions let me know.

http://cadamwil.smugmug.com/Other/2014-02-01-by-Eye-Fi

Adam
for the motherboard you can use Asrock c2750D4I or Asrock c2550D4I. Thy are powerfull soc mini-itx server motherboard i believe.
ive seen someone using ds380 and Asrock c2750D4I here
i plan to build my own nas and get The mighty Asrock c2750D4I for my NAS :D

I ran out of money due to some car issues, but I plan on using the Asrock C2750D4I. I really wanted to try the Asrock with the built-in LSI HBA, but I am almost 100% positive it will not fit properly with a normal SFX power supply. I am hopefully about to get started again with a lot of 2GB hard drives, motherboard and RAM.

That was i worried about. The PSU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.