C2750D4I FreeNas 9.2 Supported or Not Supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
v3 is Haswell (socket 1150). v2 is Ivy, plain is Sandy Bridge (both 1155).

cadamwil

Explorer
Any updates on performance? I might go with this board if it works well. Or I may wait for the Asrock Xeon mini ITX board with the LSI SAS HBA.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Anything can saturate gigabit easily these days. The question is if it can do it with ZFS and CIFS ... both very heavy.

cadamwil

Explorer
Anything can saturate gigabit easily these days. The question is if it can do it with ZFS and CIFS ... both very heavy.
JGreco, that is exactly my question, what is the performance on say a 4 drive RAIDZ2 pool on CIFS across the network connection. If it will push 100MB/s I will never run into issues, but 25MB/s and I may run into issues frequently. Has anyone been able to get some real numbers using this board?

morxy49

Contributor
Hello there. Newbie incoming.
Just to sum things up, is the motherboard itself 100% compatible with FreeNAS now?
I'm just confused by all discussions about transfer speeds ;)

morxy49

Contributor
It has been confirmed working.

Great news! :)
Now for one question (maybe this is a little bit off topic). Is there any reason to buy the C2750 over the C2550 if i want to run a Plex media server on my NAS?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I believe the Plex transcoder supports multiple cores... doesn't it? If it does, then at least for Plex users, the additional cores could be a win.

kelchm

Dabbler
I believe the Plex transcoder supports multiple cores... doesn't it? If it does, then at least for Plex users, the additional cores could be a win.

Yes, it will make use of multiple cores for a single transcode.

corwin

Dabbler
I just had to return my third instance of this motherboard. I'm going with a similar Supermicro, but with an LSI controller. All three boards have exhibited the same problems.

I have 6x2.5" Samsung 2TB and 2x2.5" Hitachi 1.5TB drives set up as a stripe of mirrors (3x2TB and 1x1.5TB on the 4 port Marvell controller make up one side of the mirrors, and 2x2TB on the Intel SATA3 ports, and the remaining two drives on the 2 port Marvell controller making up the other side of the mirrors). A Samsung 2.5" 2TB drive sits on one SATA2 port as a spare.
The controllers are all in AHCI and JBOD mode.

I have 4x8GB Crucial approved memory.

The first board died during a memory burn. After about a day, the system started a constant reset cycle. The BMI errors were showing a CPU overtemp, the system would shut down, and the CPU overtemp would IMMEDIATELY clear. The heat-sink was always cool to the touch.

Back it went to Amazon for a replacement.

The second board survived the memory test, and I started exercising the drives in sequence (a few errors) and then I started moving a data set over (4.5TB).

The minute I start a heavy write to the pool (rsync of 4.5TB of data from an older FreeNAS) the drives on the Marvell controllers start throwing CRC errors, with one or more drives occasionally disconnecting. A scrub on the full set (I did get the 4.5TB data over) will almost immediately disconnect one or more drives. The Intel connected drives never throw an error.

I contacted a very nice tech at Asrockrack, and he said the temp on the board and CPU should stay below ~50C. I was running up around 74C at load. I added more fans and ran them full-out (their SMART-FAN settings do not get it below 74C). That did not help.

I also swapped cables with a new set, and moved the drives around. The errors followed the Marvell ports, not the drives.

I had a further call with the Asrock folks, and they offered to swap the board, and burn-in a board at their facility before sending it to me.

I just got that board, and it shows the same errors - I'm done here. It's back in the box, heading for Amazon.

One thing on their testing - they tested a RAID 10 set on the 4 port Marvell controller, and a RAID 0 on the 2 port Marvell controller. That means that the parallel writes that ZFS does went through a different data path on the controllers (JBOD) vs. their test (which was one stream to the controller, which then spread the actions out to the drives). That might be the difference.

cadamwil

Explorer
Hmm, hopefully mine will not fall the same fate. I am just now getting the drives in I want to use over time. So my array has only been on the intel SATA controller so far and hasn't seen much activity. I will post an update in a few weeks. My current setup is the C2750d4i, 16GB (2x8GB) of Kingston ECC RAM, Silverstone DS380 case and a Silverstone SFX 450W SFX 80 Gold power supply. My drives will be 4x 2TB WD Reds (used) and 4x 4TB WD Red (new). All drives will be in one ZFS2 array. OS is running off of a CF card in a startech CF to SATA adapter. My plan is to replace the 2TB drives over the next few months and expand the array from 12TB to 24TB.

Corwin, what power supply did you use? I have often seen memory issues actually be PS issues. One of the voltage readings on my Silverstone is a bit out of spec, if I run into issues, it is one of the first components I swap to see if things improve.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just had to return my third instance of this motherboard. I'm going with a similar Supermicro, but with an LSI controller. All three boards have exhibited the same problems.

I have 6x2.5" Samsung 2TB and 2x2.5" Hitachi 1.5TB drives set up as a stripe of mirrors (3x2TB and 1x1.5TB on the 4 port Marvell controller make up one side of the mirrors, and 2x2TB on the Intel SATA3 ports, and the remaining two drives on the 2 port Marvell controller making up the other side of the mirrors). A Samsung 2.5" 2TB drive sits on one SATA2 port as a spare.
The controllers are all in AHCI and JBOD mode.

I have 4x8GB Crucial approved memory.

The first board died during a memory burn. After about a day, the system started a constant reset cycle. The BMI errors were showing a CPU overtemp, the system would shut down, and the CPU overtemp would IMMEDIATELY clear. The heat-sink was always cool to the touch.

Back it went to Amazon for a replacement.

The second board survived the memory test, and I started exercising the drives in sequence (a few errors) and then I started moving a data set over (4.5TB).

The minute I start a heavy write to the pool (rsync of 4.5TB of data from an older FreeNAS) the drives on the Marvell controllers start throwing CRC errors, with one or more drives occasionally disconnecting. A scrub on the full set (I did get the 4.5TB data over) will almost immediately disconnect one or more drives. The Intel connected drives never throw an error.

I contacted a very nice tech at Asrockrack, and he said the temp on the board and CPU should stay below ~50C. I was running up around 74C at load. I added more fans and ran them full-out (their SMART-FAN settings do not get it below 74C). That did not help.

I also swapped cables with a new set, and moved the drives around. The errors followed the Marvell ports, not the drives.

I had a further call with the Asrock folks, and they offered to swap the board, and burn-in a board at their facility before sending it to me.

I just got that board, and it shows the same errors - I'm done here. It's back in the box, heading for Amazon.

One thing on their testing - they tested a RAID 10 set on the 4 port Marvell controller, and a RAID 0 on the 2 port Marvell controller. That means that the parallel writes that ZFS does went through a different data path on the controllers (JBOD) vs. their test (which was one stream to the controller, which then spread the actions out to the drives). That might be the difference.

Must be some very unusual combination of hardware, since several people (including FreeNAS Mini users) have been using it without major complaints...

Could you list everything you used (especially PSU) so we can make a mental note of it?

I just bought the C2750D4I and am running with 4 Cruical 8gb ECC DIMMs and 8 3TB WD Red's in RaidZ2 spread across the Intel and two Marvell controllers. Seems to be running well so far, saturating the gigabit connection between the NAS and my PC over CIFS and iSCSI with no compression or encryption.

I've been running a plex server too and for my usage (transcoding videos for a few phones/tablets and direct streaming to a HTPC) it has no trouble at all, can easily transcode two HD streams concurrently to the phones.

I'd love to run some more tests if anyone is intersted. I'm new to FreeNAS (and this kind of stuff in general) and am very keen to learn more.

spchtr

Cadet
I am currently looking at this board for my first FreeNAS install. I had noticed on the NAS4Free forums that someone over there mentioned this device had trouble with hot plugging a replacement drive, and that it was a driver problem between FreeBSD and ASROCK. I was wondering if someone who had this board could test for this functionality with this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.