ASRock C2750D4I build with issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadman36g

Cadet
I have a server built with an ASRock C2750D4I that recently begin giving me issues.

I want to share an email that I have sent to William at ASRock support to help define my problem. After extensive googling I see that William is excellent at ASRock support.

The email states...

Code:
I am reaching out to you for help with my C2750D4l board. I was referred to you by a message forum and hope you do not mind me emailing you.

I have had my server set up since around April 2015 working pretty flawlessly. I accessed my server most recently on this past Sunday night, and when I tried to access it on Monday morning I noticed I had no network access to my server.

This has happened a few times before (Once because my Hard Drive was so full it couldnt load the gui of my OS OpenMediaVault.

Usually a quick reboot fixes this issue, but I rebooted and noticed the network connection never returned.

I can access the server via IPMI interface and the remote control says ‘Host is powered off or in sleep mode’

I have disconnected all of Hard Drive except the one hosting my OS and the result is the same.

I read the instructions you gave another individual with a similar problem and followed them

1. Remove RAM, insert one RAM stick into blue A1 slot

2. Clear the CMOS by holding down the case power button for 30 seconds without the power cable attached to the board and without the CMOS battery inserted

3. Put the power back in as well as the CMOS battery. Turn on the PSU (not the board), and wait until the green BMC LED starts to flash

4. Turn on the server board and check the Sensor Readings in Megarac web management console – Server Health, with the board turned on.

After doing this, I am still receiving the ‘Host is powered off or in sleep mode’ message

My servers specs are as follows

case: SilverStone DS380B

board: ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600 / 1333

ram: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Intel Model KVR13E9K2/16I

psu:  SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W

If there is anyone here that can provide any additional support, I would most greatly appreciate it.

tropic

Dabbler
I don't have any great advice, but I thought I'd let you know that I had similar symptoms with an ASRock E3C226D2I build. Despite the concerns some have with a few of ASRock's mainboards, it was simply a failing or just uncooperative PSU that resulted in an un-bootable server. If you have access to a known-good PSU, it might not hurt to do a quick switch to see if your machine behaves differently with it.

ASRock E3C226D2I, Core i3-4370, 2 x 8GB Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B ECC RAM, 2 x WD RE4 4TB HDDs, Corsair HX650 PSU. Not your motherboard, but built by ASRock using their Megarac IPMI and exhibiting the same symptoms: inability to power-on the server (no fans, no POST, no nothing) though it was reachable via IPMI. In the year it has been in service, there were two occasions where it did not come online after a reboot, but a power cycle corrected that. Error logs showed some CPU temp/throttling events over the past few months (which didn't make sense at the time considering the cooling in place) but nothing else.

I went through a basic troubleshooting process like yours, resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, removing the HDDs and using a single stick of RAM. I wondered if the ASRock watchdog bug had chewed up the onboard flash memory, the BIOS had become corrupted, a short had occurred, etc. When I got around to replacing the PSU with an 8-year-old POS but known-good unit, everything came up roses.

deadman36g

Cadet
When I power on I am getting fans to operate but no post. The power supply I am using is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H4QPDC/?tag=ozlp-20

but I also had one of these available to try

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZFMKCI/?tag=ozlp-20

and got the same result.

I recall when I first build my server I used
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VQ2Y4K/?tag=ozlp-20

and it would boot the machine but only when the rack was disconnected, it was not powerful enough the boot the entire thing

I have the rack removed at the moment though for my testing

Status
Not open for further replies.