silverstone ds380 cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclarkin9681

Dabbler
Hello,
I just finished building my first FreeNas box (9.2.1.7). I have one volume and one zfs dataset set up. Mostly media files at this point. I am using a silverstone ds380 8-bay case. Currently with 4 x 4TB WD Red NAS drives. Searching the forums (and wd website) its sounds like the drive temperatures should be around 35 degrees Celsius. A couple of the drives are running around 39 idle and 41 with activity. These are the 2 two middle drives of the 4. The 4 drives are stacked, 4 in row. I can separate each drive with an empty bay to help air flow, but would like to have the option to use all 8 bays if needed.

My question, has anyone else used this case and/or hard drives from western digital? Did you have any issues with HD temps? At this point no plugins are installed and running. Just a couple shares going to iTunes.

Here are my specs.

ASRock C2750D4I
1 x Cruical 16GB ECC Unbuffered Ram chip
SilverStove DS380B Chassis
SilverStone SFX 450W 80 plus power supply (recommended for this case)

The SilverStone website has this cooler for the case...wanted to get the communities opinion before i picked one up. Has anyone used this cooler before and would you recommend it?

EDIT The cooler from SilverStone is a CPU fan, just noticed that.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just get stronger fans and see if it helps.

mclarkin9681

Dabbler
I'm going to pick some up. I removed the USB 3 front panel cables, as well swapped out the reguluar sata cables for smaller/slimmer ones sold by SilerStone...removed some of the clutter since is a tight squeeze. And then i tried using every other bay (4 used / 4 empty) and i think that did the trick. Temps are around 30-32. This is fine for now, but kind of stinks if i add more drives. At some point ill get better fans and test, but for now they seem to be ok. Thanks.

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
Just a tip: Add a cardboard insert to force the intake fan air directly over the drive cage. Doing this dropped my 7200rpm HDD from 45C to 35C at load. This should solve most temperature issues.

sroot

Dabbler
Thanks or the tip ShimadaRiku,
the piece of card solution has worked well for me dropping the hottest drive from 44C to 34C and the coolest from 37C to 26C.
However, CPU and motherboard are up from around 33C to 44C. The fans are set as smartfan in bios but are still running at their original 1100RPM so I'm assuming if I find anything to load the CPU the fans will speed up and cope. I'll need to find something to work the CPU and test, but I suspect a small vent into my piece of card will suffice.

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
Thanks or the tip ShimadaRiku,
the piece of card solution has worked well for me dropping the hottest drive from 44C to 34C and the coolest from 37C to 26C.
However, CPU and motherboard are up from around 33C to 44C. The fans are set as smartfan in bios but are still running at their original 1100RPM so I'm assuming if I find anything to load the CPU the fans will speed up and cope. I'll need to find something to work the CPU and test, but I suspect a small vent into my piece of card will suffice.

eBsOVik.jpg

I use a tower fan to direct the air out the rear exhaust which helps pull air from the drive cage. Coolmaster hyper 212 evo barely fits. Actually over kill for my cpu, but it was what I had. IF you buy one probably get the smaller variant.

lopr

Explorer
Just a tip: Add a cardboard insert to force the intake fan air directly over the drive cage. Doing this dropped my 7200rpm HDD from 45C to 35C at load. This should solve most temperature issues.

this. reduced temperature on fully loaded bays (8x 4TB Toshiba 7200rpm) from 60°C to 38°C under load. happy now.
YIGlW4q.jpg

russnas

Contributor
i had a silverstone matx case, i recall the fans were not directly infront of the drives, half was going around, i got some gentle typhoon fans and used duct tape to cover up the square holes on the back to force the air to go through the cpu exhaust, i eventually got a bigger case so have more air circulation and have more space for the sata cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.