Should I stick with 8(BETA4) or roll back to 7.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fostersimported

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have recently installed 8(BETA4) but its still got various 'teething problems' etc...

I have been using freenas since release 0.6 and I just wanted your thoughts on if I should stick with 8 or roll back to 7.2 ??

Cheers

Don

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi fostersimported,

If you could tell us what sort of problems you are having we would be better equipped to help you decide. Are they problems or missing features?

-Will

fostersimported

Dabbler
Hi Will,

Im not really having problems, apart from having to edit shares every time I reboot but I have posted about that. I used to be able to get e-mail reports of the system and read hdd temps etc. I have just got 2 new 2tb hdd to add to I am new to ZFS set up etc... so i need to find some good info on zfs setup, first thing I dont understand ZFS compression level???

sgk

Dabbler
FreeNAS 8 (even BETA4) has still serious problems. The major ones involve inability to boot a lot of times from CF card or USB stick with error "da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0 AutoSense Failed". On the other hand legacy FreeNAS 0.7.x series seems to be fading out. So unless someone come up with a stable new NAS (Linux or BSD based) system we are in trouble. The other problem is that if you revert back to legacy FreeNAS you might not be able to import your 0.7 series based shares to the new 8 series environment easily, because most likely there will not be any toolkit to upgrade from 0.7 to 8.

fostersimported

Dabbler
Well since I posted this I have decided to stay with 7.2. I am running a Raidz1 on 2gb ram 64bit with no problems. I will wait unit 8 is until I permanently stick with it. That does not mean i'm giving up on Freenas I will try 8.0.1 RC1 when I have time, and report my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.