How do I upgrade from 8 to 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctt

Dabbler
Hi All,
It sounds a simple question and I wanted to ask people who have done the upgrade from 8 to 9 how they did it and why they did it.
Is it worth upgrading? Should I just wait for a more mature release? What can I expect to loose? What is there to gain?

Now for the detail. I'm running FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 on an HP Microserver n54L. I'm considering how and why I would upgrade using FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64.img.xz

On the current Freenas 8 install I have RAIDz3, a Jail installed and some plugins. Mainly I would like to keep Subsonic. By keeping I mean I don't mind doing a fresh install or plugin upgrade but want to check that the current Subsonic plugin works with 9.

How?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-9.1.0/RELEASE/

1. Upgrade plan; I'm thinking, based on advice posted in this forum, that using another USB key for the 9 install is a good idea.

2. ZFS, RAIDz3 used with zgeli Encryption. How did you go about this and is it worth the risk?
Do I need to do anything with the encryption?
"8) **IMPORTANT** Backward compatibility of FreeNAS 9.1 ZFS pools with older versions of ZFS is not to be expected. Upgrade pools with extreme caution, as all ZFS pool upgrades are one-way and only FreeNAS 9.1, FreeBSD 9-STABLE, and FreeBSD 8.4 currently support this ZFS pool format."

3. Plugin advice. Do these work (well)? And how did you find the upgrade process?
Replacement plugins:
Firefly, MiniDLNA, Transmission.​
What about Subsonic? Does it work with 9.1.0 RELEASE x64?​
SABnzbd​
Working for you?​
SickBeard​
Any problems?​
CouchPotato​
Same question ;)​

4. Jails upgrade:
"9) To convert 8.* pluginjail to a 9.* pluginjail, please run the jail migration script like so (prior to configuring jails) from the command-line: /root/migrate_pluginjail.sh -D

Any installed 8.x plugins will need to be updated manually."
Sounds simple, any pointers with this step?

5. Should I just wait for a later RELEASE with possibly better plugin/port support? Am I better off sticking with 8 and waiting six months for example?

So it looks like a fair bit of work and has risks. Bottom line, why did you upgrade and any tips on how you did it are greatly appreciated.

Yatti420

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.