GUI-Upgrade from 8.3.1-RELEASE to 9.1-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

warri

Guru
The first README seems to be outdated (Source: README, updated 2013-07-15).
Since the image size is supposed to be reduced to 2 GB in the 9.1.0-RELEASE, a GUI upgrade should work.

I'll try upgrading later.

[edit]
Worked like a charm. Now running FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13).

[edit2]
Ok, FreeNAS lost my (custom) hostname in the upgrade process. Not a biggie, though.

Thx warri. I upgraded via GUI and it just worked :)

D

dlavigne

This was not possible in RC1 as the image size had increased. This was fixed in RC2 so that this upgrade option would be possible.

karlywarly

Dabbler
Have any of you guys had any issues with regards to plugins?

I have just updated to 9.1.0 (dff7d13) and tried to update the transmission and minidlna plugins and now getting the message "You must configure your network interface and a default gateway" even though the network interface seems to be working fine.

My old plugins transmission (V.2.61) & minidlna (1.0.24_1) seem to still be working even though the service status is off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi karlwarly,

I hope you already tried the migration script from the Release notes:
9) To convert 8.* pluginjail to a 9.* pluginjail, please run the jail migration script like so (prior to configuring jails) from the command-line: /root/migrate_pluginjail.sh -D
Any installed 8.x plugins will need to be updated manually.

For my needs, I did a clean install for transmission and left my Jail for 8.3.0 untouched to switch back if necessary.
Since my transmission was configured to store its data in a separate zfs dataset, I just needed to set mount point for the new jail.

karlywarly

Dabbler
Hi karlwarly,

I hope you already tried the migration script from the Release notes:

For my needs, I did a clean install for transmission and left my Jail for 8.3.0 untouched to switch back if necessary.
Since my transmission was configured to store its data in a separate zfs dataset, I just needed to set mount point for the new jail.

Hi DerKleineLeif,

Thanks for your reply.

I had run the migration script and hadn't realised that the plugins needed to be updated manually as it didn't say in the manual.

I have had a look on how to update the plugins manually, I presume through shell/SSH but so far have found nothing on how to do this.

D

dlavigne

The manual is pretty clear:

Due to binary incompatibility between FreeBSD 8.x and 9.x applications, you will need to reinstall your applications after the jail is migrated. Existing FreeNAS® plugins will be displayed under Services → Plugins. However, they will be in the 8.x format and will not work until they are upgraded to 9.x.

You have several choices on how to install the software, see sections 10.5 and 10.6 in the PDF of the 9.1 Guide. Seeing that so much has changed in jails for 9.x (a complete redesign), it's well worth skimming all of chapter 10 to get a good overview.

bbddpp

Explorer
Anyone happen to know if it's possible to relocate the jail to a new volume as part of the upgrade process?

I have my 8.1.3 jail on an old UFS volume and I'd love to relocate it to a ZFS volume as I upgrade to 9.1.1, so I can then wipe the UFS disk and format it as ZFS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It doesn't really matter because when you upgrade to 9.1.1 you'll need to resetup the jails since its a 9.x jail and the PBI is different from the ones that worked in 8.x.

bbddpp

Explorer
Okay, makes sense. So basically I can have two jails? The old jail with my old plugins and mysql database, and the new jail. Once I get the new jail setup (which i can have set up on any volume I want) I can just completely blow away the old jail?

I was thinking for peace of mind keep the old jail running and even convert it, in case I can grab any databases or config files from it that I realize are missing. Will that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.