SFX PSU recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladTepes

Patron
I've looked a number of old threads but a few years is a long time in technology, and things will have changed.

The build I am doing will require a small form factor (SFX) power supply. (The second system in a Phantek Ethnoo MiniXL case)

In Australia at least the most commonly available brands appear to be Silverstone and Corsair.

The Silverstone SFX PSU's get "OK" reviews stating that there are some issues with power
The Corsair gets better reviews, stating good performance to 50degrees C. Stiff cables compared with Silverstone though.

This is the Corsair I was looking at (not sure if I need this or only a 450, have yet to do some calculations but I suspect the 450 will be enough)
http://www.pccasegear.com/products/35202/corsair-sf600-sfx-80-plus-gold-600w-power-supply/
but in either case the problem is that there is only a single SATA cable with 4 (600W) or 3 (450W) connectors on it. Now I as I want to run up to 5 storage drives plus an SSD (boot device) that's an issue.

I've been looking for the SeaSonic PSU's recommended on this forum (though they are more difficult to come by here, its not impossible. I note the G-Sereis are ATX supplies, and can't see whether they have any SFX PSU's ast all.though unsure if they are SFX or ATX) but they don't appear to be available here.

In any event I'm looking for feedback and recommendations regarding SFX PSU's to power up to 6 SATA devices.

Hopefully this thread will become a useful reference for others as well.

Thank You

Curufinwe_wins

Dabbler
I know it is ugly, but molex to sata power is available. The Corsair units are much better and much quieter. 100% recommended over the silverstone sfx units.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm assuming my build probably isn't too different from what you're doing. Anecdotally, I have no problems with my Silverstone ST30SF. I cannot hear it over the drive noise in my case.

As far as SATA power connectors are concerned, I would get something like the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DD28XG/?tag=ozlp-20

VladTepes

Patron
So what's the general consensus - molex to SATA for the additional drives, or a SATA extender cable as per Nick's suggestion? Any pros/cons for each?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
As far as SATA power connectors are concerned, I would get something like the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DD28XG/?tag=ozlp-20

So what's the general consensus - molex to SATA for the additional drives, or a SATA extender cable as per Nick's suggestion? Any pros/cons for each?

Molex to sata is fine.

Sata to sata is fine.

Molex to 2 sata is ok.

Sata to 2 sata is asking for fire.

So the sata to 4 sata linked is really asking for fire...

brando56894

Wizard
I'm pretty sure the Silverstone 600w SFX PSU killed my NAS. I'd stay away from them.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

VladTepes

Patron
I'm leaning toward the Corsair BUT I am still considering (given this is a dual system build( whether to ruin my gaming system and NAS off one larger PSU with a Phantek powerrail thingy. (technical term). It would keep the case internals much cleaner but I'm not sure if its better to have the two systems isolated with separate PSU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.