BUILD Trying to go for a small low price build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostiex

Cadet
Looking to build a cheap Freenas unite to replace my current windows 2008 Raid.
I really don't have the cash to spend too too much and prefer to pick up the parts locally if I can.
What is everyone's opinion?

much appreciated.

CASE:
Silverstone DS380 Mini-ITX Case, Black
CPU: Intel Core™ i3-4160 Processor, 3.60GHz w/ 3MB Cache
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI w/ DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Dual Gb LAN
Addon Card: StarTech 4 Port PCI Express USB 3.0 Adapter Card Adapter w/ SATA Power
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G SFX Series 450W Compact Modular Power Supply
Memory: Patriot Signature DDR3 8GB PC3-12800 CL11 DIMM

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Looking to build a cheap Freenas unite to replace my current windows 2008 Raid.
I really don't have the cash to spend too too much and prefer to pick up the parts locally if I can.
What is everyone's opinion?

much appreciated.

CASE:
Silverstone DS380 Mini-ITX Case, Black
CPU: Intel Core™ i3-4160 Processor, 3.60GHz w/ 3MB Cache
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI w/ DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Dual Gb LAN
Addon Card: StarTech 4 Port PCI Express USB 3.0 Adapter Card Adapter w/ SATA Power
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G SFX Series 450W Compact Modular Power Supply
Memory: Patriot Signature DDR3 8GB PC3-12800 CL11 DIMM
Get a server motherboard and ECC RAM. I wouldn't bother with the USB3 card.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can easily go with an i3 4130 and save a few bucks, if you'll just be doing file serving. The USB 3.0 controller is useless and extremely dubious - forget about it.

For miniITX, you can get the ASRock C226 miniITX motherboard. Seems to work fine.

Frostiex

Cadet
Sorry...it was a typo...it isn't the USB card I want...I actually want extra sata connections...lol
I also tried looking in to supermicro, but it seems most of the mobo are MicroATX at least the ones I want are?
I really like the DS380..any suggestions for other good mITX mobo? the as rock is $250 here!!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Sorry...it was a typo...it isn't the USB card I want...I actually want extra sata connections...lol
I also tried looking in to supermicro, but it seems most of the mobo are MicroATX at least the ones I want are?
I really like the DS380..any suggestions for other good mITX mobo? the as rock is $250 here!!
You should look for something that is based on a C226 chipset (server) rather than the desktop board you linked to. In general server motherboards will cost more because the OEM can't get away with packaging absolute crap.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The miniITX selection is rather limited. You also have the Atoms, but they're not exactly much cheaper.

If you move to microATX, your options suddenly look a lot better.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That motherboard feels awfully expensive, but I'm not familiar with Canadian pricing for Supermicro motherboards...

That SATA controller is unlikely to work well, so I recommend you give the hardware sticky a read and get something like an IBM M1015 if you really need it. Of course, the X10SL7-F is cheaper than a separate motherboard + HBA.

Again, if you're not doing transcoding, you can get a slightly cheaper i3 and still be fine.

The PSU is ok, but an upgrade to a Seasonic G-series is advised (but by no means required).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems

Frostiex

Cadet
sigh...there seems to be only 2 authorized retailer in Canada...and the prices are exorbitant.
the MBD-X10SL7-F is @ 307+tax

DKarnov

Dabbler
Don't get an i3-43x0 unless you get some special deal on it. The difference between 43x0 and 41x0 is a better onboard graphics chip, and nothing in FreeNAS will ever use it. Save the money and get the cheapest 41x0 you see - right now, the i3-4150 is cheaper than the 4130 and 4160, when you pull the trigger, it may be different.

If it's just that much better a price deal than the alternatives, that's fine, but a 600W PSU is plenty overkill.

The price of the fancier motherboard is pretty much the same as the simpler mobo and expander card you were looking at before.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't get an i3-43x0 unless you get some special deal on it. The difference between 43x0 and 41x0 is a better onboard graphics chip, and nothing in FreeNAS will ever use it. Save the money and get the cheapest 41x0 you see - right now, the i3-4150 is cheaper than the 4130 and 4160, when you pull the trigger, it may be different.

If it's just that much better a price deal than the alternatives, that's fine, but a 600W PSU is plenty overkill.

The price of the fancier motherboard is pretty much the same as the simpler mobo and expander card you were looking at before.

Actually, the 43XX have 4MB of L3 instead of 3MB.

titan_rw

Guru
sigh...there seems to be only 2 authorized retailer in Canada...and the prices are exorbitant.
the MBD-X10SL7-F is @ 307+tax

I got my S9SRH-7TF and the E5-1650 from Memory Express in Calgary. They had to special order it, and it did take 2-3 weeks, but I was able to avoid international shipping / exchange rates / import fees, etc. MemEx's price was far better than ordering internationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.