BUILD Noob FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidtest

Cadet
Hi all,

I've been running a WHS server for years (since before WHS 2011, when Drive Extender was around) but it's time for a new start. WHS isn't much of an option these days so I've been contemplating the usual NAS boxes from Synology and QNAP. Honestly the Synology DS-716+ would probably be enough for what I do, but I've been building my own PCs for the last 15 years so I have an itch to DIY it. The IXSystems FreeNAS Mini is also quite tempting but I can put together a box that I think is slightly more appropriate and better specced in some ways for less.

Usage - nothing dramatic, the usual home stuff. I'm a bit Apple centric in my end user devices - AppleTV, i-devices, etc. A few specifics:

* iTunes library storage and streaming
* Plex video streaming - since I intend this to last a few years accommodating 4K would be nice.
* Backups of a couple of Windows PCs and a Mac Mini
* Occasional torrents
* Quiet, power efficient

I've done some reading around the FreeNAS forums and reviews on most of the above OTS boxes. Based on that the build I've drafted is as follows:

* Mainboard - ASRock C2550D4I (initially mimicked the FreeNAS mini and chose the C2750 but I think 8 cores is overkill so I can save $90)
* Case - Fractal Designs Node 304
* PSU - SilverStone ST45SF-G SFX Modular 450W (probably overkill but like the modular SFX design and it isn't available in lower power)
* RAM - Crucial 2x8GB DDR3 1600 ECC
* HD - WD Red, probably 4x3TB to start. I don't need massive storage, right now.

Some parts I have available that I could possibly repurpose:

* SanDisk 240GB SATA 3 SSD. OS boot drive?
* Silverstone HTPC case. 7-8 years old, not sure of model but standard ATX midsize, 8 3.5" HD bays. Obviously much larger than a mini-ITX.
* PSU PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 - not modular but not a big deal in larger case.
* Areca ARC-1210 raid card

I'd appreciate any comments, feedback, criticisms etc. Thanks in advance!

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

Fuganater

Patron
Save a ton more money and get 2x 16GB Sandisk Fit 2.0 thumb drives instead of the SSD. Now if you want you could use the SSD for your jails but that is up to you.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Or instead of the 2x 16GB USB sticks get a cheap SSD of 60 or 120 GB for 30 or 40 $ ;) USB is evil :D

Acidtest

Cadet
I already have the SSD, so there's no extra cost there.

@MrToddsFriends, I'll take a look at that thread. I know the Supermicro boards are generally highly recommended here.

Acidtest

Cadet
Looks like the Marvell SATA controllers are the culprit with the ASRock board? I was planning to not use those anyway, and use only the Intel SATA ports, based on reading I've already done here. I won't need more than the 6 Intel SATA ports.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks like the Marvell SATA controllers are the culprit with the ASRock board? I was planning to not use those anyway, and use only the Intel SATA ports, based on reading I've already done here. I won't need more than the 6 Intel SATA ports.
Unfortunately, their presence implies an additional 10W power consumption, due to the PCI-e switch employed. Of course, the ASRock board will work fine, it's just a little fact that you might want to know.

Acidtest

Cadet
For the record, I did a bit of a 180 on my hardware choices, at least for MB/CPU. Here's what I ended up selecting:

MB: Supermicro X10SLM-F-O
CPU: Xeon E3 1220 v3
RAM: Crucial 2x8GB DDR3 1600 ECC
PSU: Seasonic SSR-550RM 80 Plus Gold
HD: 3 x WD Red 3 TB (for now)
Case: existing Silverstone ATX HTPC

Should be arriving next Tuesday from Newegg and I plan to start building/installling after Christmas. It'll be my project for the week after Christmas "staycation" I have scheduled. So now to move on to more reading on the install/configure guides & documentation. Looking forward to this!

NASbeginner

Dabbler
Save a ton more money and get 2x 16GB Sandisk Fit 2.0 thumb drives instead of the SSD. Now if you want you could use the SSD for your jails but that is up to you.

Hi Fuganater, can you expand on the use of SSDs for jails? Is this something that can increase performance?

Fuganater

Patron
Hi Fuganater, can you expand on the use of SSDs for jails? Is this something that can increase performance?
I read on here that using an SSD for your jails speeds some of them up. The main one being Plex for loading the metadata.

NASbeginner

Dabbler
Thanks. I may have to look at then for my build, as I'm planning on running Emby Media Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.