BUILD First Build, could use a MOBO suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
Yeah it was. I've read some blogs and some documents about the issues that ZFS specifically tries to remedy like bit rot and corruption, but they also go over how little those issues actually arise and how little of a risk it is to the average user. I want to get a build that runs FreeNAS specifically since I want to try it out, but unRAID also looks attractive and I like to learn as much as I can. But in order to try all of this stuff out I just need the hardware that can support it.
UNRAID just did the seem to offer as many features as FREENAS does. If you want something that's truly customizable and don't mind the lack of an interface, give ZFS on Linux a try, I've been using Arch Linux for about the past 5 months and have no complaints.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vareen

Dabbler
UNRAID just did the seem to offer as many features as FREENAS does. If you want something that's truly customizable and don't mind the lack of an interface, give ZFS on Linux a try, I've been using Arch Linux for about the past 5 months and have no complaints.

Truly the only feature of unraid I like besides being hardware agnostic for drives, is the fact that it runs like a hypervisor and I can use a single machine for both my NAS and my everyday desktop which I can't do with ZFS because I run windows instead of linux. The other set up I was thinking was doing server 2012 and using FreeNAS in Hyper-V

Vareen

Dabbler
W
I would give ESXI a try, they offer a free version.

Which I'll probably end up trying, which means I think I should just make a whole new box so I don't have to keep redoing my main machine every time I want to try something new.

Vareen

Dabbler
I would not trust LinusTechTips with anything that is not just unbacking things in a flashy way.

I have to disagree, while a good portion of their videos are simply fluff to try and sell you a product, I find a lot of their hardware tests/explanation videos/build videos quite entertaining and sometimes educational.

DO GO with the Silverstone DS380B! i used it and it didnt cook my drives and i did not have to drill holes into it. I did not regret my choice.

What temperature do your drives run at and what is their manufacturer recommended temps, enterprise drives run at a different temp than consumer grade drives

INCSlayer

Contributor
I have to disagree, while a good portion of their videos are simply fluff to try and sell you a product, I find a lot of their hardware tests/explanation videos/build videos quite entertaining and sometimes educational.

What temperature do your drives run at and what is their manufacturer recommended temps, enterprise drives run at a different temp than consumer grade drives
I use WD Reds like most people here.
also you will find that i am not alone in my opinion on this forum that listening to Linus for anything "educational" is throwing your time away.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The problem is that they're more about flash than substance and tend to do things a bit impulsively.

Yeah, research makes for poor entertainment, but servers are serious business and it would be nice if people in general put more thought into viewing their computers as serious business, even if they're not aimed at serious business. But of course, consumer apathy reigns supreme. *sigh*

Sidenote: the forum could use a *sigh* emoticon

Edit to sidenote: Despite the insane amount of effort put into emojis in recent times, there is no uinicode emoji representing *sigh*. This is a rather serious omission.

Last edited:

Vareen

Dabbler
The problem is that they're more about flash than substance and tend to do things a bit impulsively.

Yeah, research makes for poor entertainment, but servers are serious business and it would be nice if people in general put more thought into viewing their computers as serious business, even if they're not aimed at serious business. But of course, consumer apathy reigns supreme. *sigh*.

I can promise you that I 100% wouldn't take anything Linus says in terms of technical advice seriously, but I find him both entertaining and he does have a few interesting builds, if it wasn't for his 48TB NAS build I wouldn't have known about ZFS and have cultivated an interest in it for my own purposes.

Sidenote: the forum could use a *sigh* emoticon

Edit to sidenote: Despite the insane amount of effort put into emojis in recent times, there is no uinicode emoji representing *sigh*. This is a rather serious omission.

I agree, it's quite surprising.

Vareen

Dabbler

It was before those videos, but that 'All of our data is GONE' video they claim that it was a hardware issue. how true that is I don't know but I figure that only I know the best storage option for me, and I figure since FreeNAS has the strictest requirements I can focus on building the right machine and then finding the right OS/FS for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.