SOLVED Setting up Crashplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramy

Dabbler
Can somebody walk me through the setup for crashplan 3.6.4 on freenas 9.3? I have found a bunch of partial solutions, all for slightly older versions of the plugin/freenas, and I am having trouble adapting them. I cannot even seem to get the crashplan service to start, so there is no way for me to even think about attempting either the ssh tunnel or any other way to use the GUI to set it up.

tigerfan

Cadet
Hi Ramy,

I just got this working on my FREENAS box, quite the ordeal! The crashplan plugin will need to be updated from 3.6.3 (the FREENAS 9.3 plugin) to the latest version 4.3.0
The crashplan plugin will update itself, but unfortunately it will crash along the way, and will require some intervention to kick it along the way.

Here is what I had to do to accomplish this:

1. Install the plugin into a jail: Click on Plugins, then the Available tab, the "crashplan" line and finally the Install button.
2. Once the installation completes, on the left tree, expand Plugins and click on CrashPlan. Accept the Java EULA.
3. Start the Crashplan plugin: Plugins->Installed and make sure the Crashplan plugin is in the "ON" position.
4. In the crashplan jail, look at the file /var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log - you are interested in noting 'CPVERSION = 3.6.3' (this is crashplan version)
5. The crashplan plugin will stop (crash) itself at this point, it may not be reflected in FREENAS GUI, force an update to the FREENAS GUI, then crashplan plugin should be in 'OFF' status
6. Turn on crashplan plugin (repeat step 3)
7. Note again in the jail (var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log) that you are now at 'CPVERSION = 3.6.4'
8. edit /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf :
add the following option to SRV_JAVA_OPTS & GUI_JAVA_OPTS:
-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider

see this post for more info: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ing-upgrade-then-no-longer-works-3-6-4.24227/

9. Turn on crashplan plugin (repeat step 3)
10. Wait a few minutes, then note again in the jail (var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log) that you are now at 'CPVERSION = 3.7.0'
11. repeat steps 8 & 9
12. Wait a few minutes, note again in the jail (var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log) that you are now at 'CPVERSION = 4.2.0'
13. Wait a few minutes, crashplan will update itself one more time, it will stop & restart itself. Note again in the jail (var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log) that you are now at 'CPVERSION = 4.3.0', as of now this is the latest!

Crashplan now should be functioning properly on FREENAS 9.3!

In this version (4.3.0) it is not necessary to use an ssh tunnel to connect a gui to the crashplan plugin. See this post: http://chrisnelson.ca/2015/07/02/fixing-crashplan-4-3-0-on-synology/
look at/follow the 'Get the headless key' section.

Ramy

Dabbler
I can get as far as 3.7.0, but then the service just stops immediately when I turn it on, and the version is not updating.

Edit: Restarted the jail, now updated to 4.3.0. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

jmatt3685

Dabbler
So, what if I can't get my service to start???? I had crashplan working a while ago and all of a sudden it won't start. And I've added the -djava and it just won't start :(

Daddyo4sons

Cadet
I can get as far as 3.7.0, but then the service just stops immediately when I turn it on, and the version is not updating.

Edit: Restarted the jail, now updated to 4.3.0. Thank you for your help!
I cannot get past the initial version 3.6.3.

I cannot get past the initial version 3.6.3.

I'm having the same issue. I reinstalled (was running 4.3.0, but had to move my jails to another volume) and have 3.6.3 working properly, but it's been more than 48 hours and crashplan hasn't made any attempt to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.