FreeNAS 9.3 & CrashPlan Jail -Unable to connect to backup engine. Retry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSDrocks

Cadet
Hi,

I'm running FreeNAS 9.3 (latest stable as of today) and latest CrashPlan plugin 3.6.3_1. On the desktop (Linux) I've got CrashPlan 3.7.0. I set it up as it is documented here but I'm always getting the same error on the client side: Unable to connect to backup engine. Retry?

Here are the details of what I did to set it up:

FreeNAS Crashplan Install
Install the crashplan plugin via the web GUI. >> Plugins >> CrashPlan
In the left-hand frame of the FreeNAS web GUI, expand Plugins, then click on Crashplan. Scroll down to accept the Java EULA.
Added storage to the crashplan jail (Do I need this if I'm only backing up what's on the FreeNAS box itself?
I've got /mnt/pond/media Destination /mnt/media/

Go to the FreeNAS CrashPlan jail and run a SSH session

Enable SSHD /etc/rc.conf to enable SSHD
sshd_enable="YES"
and
crashplan_enable="YES"

Added crashplan user who is a member of wheel.

service crashplan start
(starts without errors)

sockstat -l shows it is running A-O.K.

Edited:
/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
<serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost> Change 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0

Restarted CrashPlan on FreeNAS
service crashplan stop && service crashplan start

In the Plugin section I turn the CrashPlan plugin to ON.

Client Side Install
Copy my pub key
ssh-copy-id crashplan@ipaddressofjail

Create SSH tunnel to FreeNAS Jail
ssh -L 4200:127.0.0.1:4243 crashplan@ipaddressofjail -N -v -v

Edit the local config file /usr/local/crashplan/conf/ui.properties and uncomment and change the following:
Port to 4200
Servicehost to the IP of your FreeNAS CrashPlan jail

Crashplan Client is 3.7.0 and it always times out w/

Unable to connect to backup engine. Retry?

:mad:

Anyone else seen this? Do I need to have the storage setup if I'm not doing anything but back up the stuff on my FreeNAS box? Has anyone seen this issue or is it one of the open bugs?:eek:

TIA!

BSDrocks

Cadet
Never mind! I actually figured it out. I had too many SSH session tabs open and evidently I set the ui.properties to the IP of the jail. This is WRONG and when I took a look at I realized and set it back to 127.0.0.1 and now it works without issue. My bad! o_O

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you make to modification to the ui.properties file in the jail to be 0.0.0.0 you don't even need the ssh tunnel. You can change the cp client ui.properties back to the way it was with the jail IP. You had two different methods working against each other. Glad you got it figured out.

BSDrocks

Cadet
Yes, very true. But that way you have to trust everyone on your LAN because they can know your password too... :rolleyes: Encrypt everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.