SOLVED Crashplan has been disconnected from the back engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwslippey

Contributor
I'm been working on trying to get crashplan setup in a jail for good bit of the day today.

I'm running FreeNas 9.3 and Crashplan 3.6.3_1 Plugin

I've ran into a bunch of issues, but I think these relate to older posts I've been following thus far, I've overcome several issues but I'm stuck now...
The issue I'm battling now is every time I am able to connect the crashplan client (Windows 7) to the freenas running crashplan engine, it opens up, asks for my username and password and upon entering it, it waits a second and then displays a dialog "Critial Error" "Crashplan has been disconnected from the backup engine"
and then of course it exits.

Any thoughts on where I go from here?

Thanks

rwslippey

Contributor
Ok it seems I missed the version issues with the crashplan UI.

should have been obvious but, you apparently can't use the newer Crashplan UI (client side) versions with the older crashplan plugins... so the next issue becomes finding a download of the old versions, which I could find on the code42 website....

This post provides a link to an offsite download

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...home-computers-to-crashplan-on-freenas.39265/

I'm definitely suffering from the same issue. I was able to find an older version of Crashplan for Mac OS X however, as soon as I start it, it automatically updates. Is there some way of getting around that? maybe not being connected to the internet?

Btw, did you get your headless client up and running or not?

Cheers

rwslippey

Contributor
I'm definitely suffering from the same issue. I was able to find an older version of Crashplan for Mac OS X however, as soon as I start it, it automatically updates. Is there some way of getting around that? maybe not being connected to the internet?

Btw, did you get your headless client up and running or not?

Cheers

Mine never tried to update? I'm running Windows so that might be why?

Getting the headless backup engine running was fine once I got around the version issues. I'm not aware of a headless client though. The UI must run on your local computer, I wish their were another way to make configuration changes (web UI?)

I hope that helped a bit....

Rob

Hi Rob,

thanks for the reply. I was able to get mine up and running last night following this article:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/tested-crashplan-4-5-setup.41418/

I had assumed there was a way to get the most recent version of CrashPlan directly in a jail but had no idea how. The above article will explain that.

I few gotchas that I came across:

1. I had to use the --secure-protocol=tlsv1 option to get wget to download the .tgz file. I was getting SSL errors (handshake failure). This article helped me passed that:
http://serverfault.com/questions/560053/curl-succeeds-on-an-https-request-wget-does-not
2. you should use cpio -idv < CrashPlan_4.5.2.cpi instead of cpio -idv < CrashPlan_4.5.0.cpi (just the wrong version number)
3. in the command cp -r crashplan-install/lib* . be sure to add the . (dot) on the end, otherwise the command won't work.

I'm all set up and backing up now! Which is a massive relief.

Thanks and I hope that article solves other peoples problems too.

Jonny

rwslippey

Contributor
I'm all set up and backing up now! Which is a massive relief.

Thanks and I hope that article solves other peoples problems too.

Jonny

Ah,

So far I've noticed that dealing with Crashplan and FreeNas together, doesn't really seem to be consistent... your experience is different than mine, and yet others...
None, the less, glad it's up and running...

Now you just have a wait for your existing files to get uploaded I assume...

I've got a few days left... It's killing my internet connect haha

Status
Not open for further replies.