SOLVED Tested CrashPlan 4.5 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzoom

Guru
@ajschot If you're not on FreeNAS 11-RC2, save your config (System -> General - Save Config), install 11-RC2, import config, then try. If you're still not able to utilize iocage without error, I would check the bug tracker, as this is working on 11-Nightlies

EDIT

I missed the line: Cannot install package: kernel missing Linux support
  1. Go to: System -> Tunables - Add Tunable
    • Variable: linux_load
      Value: YES
      Type: rc.conf
      Enabled: yes
  2. Manually load via: kldload linux
    • Upon Reboot, it will be auto loaded.

Last edited:

ajschot

Patron
@ajschot If you're not on FreeNAS 11-RC2, save your config (System -> General - Save Config), install 11-RC2, import config, then try. If you're still not able to utilize iocage without error, I would check the bug tracker, as this is working on 11-Nightlies

EDIT

I missed the line: Cannot install package: kernel missing Linux support
  1. Go to: System -> Tunables - Add Tunable
    • Variable: linux_load
      Type: Loader
      Enabled: yes
  2. Reboot
Thanks i will try that.
Sorry i've been for a while on Corral (from beta2) and forgot a lot of FreeBSD commands and FN9 tunables.
I have to find out all again.

EDIT: Still get the error :(

Attachments

• Knipsel.PNG
    Knipsel.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Knipsel2.PNG
    Knipsel2.PNG
    57.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

ajschot

Patron
Thanks i will try that.
Sorry i've been for a while on Corral (from beta2) and forgot a lot of FreeBSD commands and FN9 tunables.
I have to find out all again.

EDIT: Still get the error :(

Variable: linux_enable
Comment: Load Linux compatibility module
Enabled: Ticked

I found this on an other place .... this works!

zoomzoom

Guru
I need to find the key and port (.ui_info) but until now i can not find it.
Is there any information about iocage? Because in the FN11 RC2 paper is not much.
importand I need to add a mount to upload to crashplan

this way still is a hell to setup
iocage is simply a jail management program, replacing the old jail management program warden. Warden is still included in FreeNAS,but will removed by the time FreeNAS is out of RC status (IIRC).

Once you add the linux_load kernel mod, you must manually load it, as it won't be auto loaded until you reboot FreeNAS: kldload linux
  • This is a tutorial I've been referencing while trying to get Crashplan configured, however it's just that, a reference.... Do not follow it step by step, as the iocage Crashplan jail shouldn't need to have a lot of the steps in it performed, and Crashplan PROe is not the same as the consumer side Crashplan.
  • You can check out this tutorial for what files you need to edit
Just so you're aware, the issue with CrashPlan and FreeNAS isn't FreeNAS, it's that CrashPlan has always refused to create and maintain a plugin for FreeNAS like they do with other NAS OSes.
  • I haven't been successful in configuring the Crashplan iocage jail yet, which could be due to not realizing the kernel mod needed to be switched from a loader to rc.conf.

ajschot

Patron
iocage is simply a jail management program, replacing the old jail management program warden. Warden is still included in FreeNAS,but will removed by the time FreeNAS is out of RC status (IIRC).

Once you add the linux_load kernel mod, you must manually load it, as it won't be auto loaded until you reboot FreeNAS: kldload linux
  • This is a tutorial I've been referencing while trying to get Crashplan configured, however it's just that, a reference.... Do not follow it step by step, as the iocage Crashplan jail shouldn't need to have a lot of the steps in it performed, and Crashplan PROe is not the same as the consumer side Crashplan.
  • You can check out this tutorial for what files you need to edit
Just so you're aware, the issue with CrashPlan and FreeNAS isn't FreeNAS, it's that CrashPlan has always refused to create and maintain a plugin for FreeNAS like they do with other NAS OSes.
  • I haven't been successful in configuring the Crashplan iocage jail yet, which could be due to not realizing the kernel mod needed to be switched from a loader to rc.conf.
Your tunable did not work this does:
Variable: linux_enable
Comment: Load Linux compatibility module
Enabled: Ticked

For auto load this I will figure out later, that won't be the problem.
I will chek i have to find a way to get one of my zpools mounted. I have 3 in my Corral setup (that will have to work on FN11). So i will make 2 more for fn11 and try if i can only get one in Crashplan ... until now i did not get a zpool into Crashplan but i have to find all the commands first for iocage.
I have it running and can connect via a desktop and ssh tunnel only problem is to get my dataset mounted. I am doing a lot off shit while i can just install crashplan in my ESXi VM, but it would be so nice to don't overload the SMB or NFS share.

Well most easy way would be if Crashplan made a FreeBSD version! Or when we have dockers back

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
@ajschot The kernel mod in the post you quoted does work... and the previous posts were updated as well.
  • Any tunable added will be auto loaded upon reboot.
    • The loader isn't for CrashPlan specifically, but for jails in general. For warden it's a sysctl loader, for iocage it's a rc.conf loader

Your pools will be auto mounted during the boot process, regardless of what version of FreeNAS you're running.
  • Why would you need to make an additional 2 pools for FreeNAS 11?
  • You don't mount a pool in Crashplan, you mount the dataset you want CrashPlan to backup to in the /media directory on CrashPlan via iocage.
    • I'm not sure what command does that in iocage, so issue iocage & iocage <parameter> --help in a terminal to investigate what parameter it might be, as the GUI cannot be utilized for this since the GUI still uses warden.
    • I also recommend using the iocage snapshot <jail> command prior to making any changes to CrashPlan, and a new snapshot once you get one thing working, prior to moving on to a new thing. This will allow you to restore the previous snapshot if something inadvertently gets messed up =]
  • If you're unable to get CrashPlan up and running in a jail, or would simply like to get something up and running immediately while still working on getting the jail working, you can install Ubuntu in a VM on FreeNAS 11 and run the CrashPlan server from the Ubuntu VM.

ajschot

Patron
@ajschot The kernel mod in the post you quoted does work... and the previous posts were updated as well.
  • Any tunable added will be auto loaded upon reboot.
    • The loader isn't for CrashPlan specifically, but for jails in general. For warden it's a sysctl loader, for iocage it's a rc.conf loader

Well I know that, but i need to make a script and auto start the crashplan iocage jail. But that is for later, make a script and add that to rc.conf.

@ajschot
Your pools will be auto mounted during the boot process, regardless of what version of FreeNAS you're running.
  • Why would you need to make an additional 2 pools for FreeNAS 11?
  • You don't mount a pool in Crashplan, you mount the dataset you want CrashPlan to backup to in the /media directory on CrashPlan via iocage.
    • I'm not sure what command does that in iocage, so issue iocage & iocage <parameter> --help in a terminal to investigate what parameter it might be, as the GUI cannot be utilized for this since the GUI still uses warden.
    • I also recommend using the iocage snapshot <jail> command prior to making any changes to CrashPlan, and a new snapshot once you get one thing working, prior to moving on to a new thing. This will allow you to restore the previous snapshot if something inadvertently gets messed up =]
  • If you're unable to get CrashPlan up and running in a jail, or would simply like to get something up and running immediately while still working on getting the jail working, you can install Ubuntu in a VM on FreeNAS 11 and run the CrashPlan server from the Ubuntu VM.
First thing
I use 3 pools:
1) Data - Own recodings, photo's, homevideo's, administration etc. (Raidz2 - 32TB)
2) Backup Time Machine (to backup my macbook's, Hackintosh and my wife's macbook) (RaidZ 9TB)
3) Docker & VM's (SSD's) (mirror - 120GB)

Why? Well i like to keep things organized and extra safe. 3 pools, 3 vdevs.
This way my photo's are on the machine, on the data disk and in a TimeMachine backup.
Also if i make 1 big pool it take's a lot more time to rebuild when a disks crashes, this way i always can get to my files. While the backup pool is off course slow because this are only TimeMachine backups.
I want to mount my Data pool to Crashplan, in docker it was just make a mount, so host: '/mnt/Data/' in docker mount '/freenasDATA' same for the old jails...

Thanks for the snapshots, i saw it on a manual about iocage but i did not dig into that but i will create one because everything is working only i can not acces my files in my jail.

I would love this or docker to work because i don't want to use SMB or NFS share to not overload my services with data trafic when not needed.
In Docker it uses VT9 which so no NFS or SMB load, also with the old jails. When setting up Crashplan iocage there is no mounting point.
So again to be clear, i want to backup my Data TO the Crashplan server.

Oh about Ubuntu, well... i don't like bhyve i found it not stable enough yet. I used iohuve before with ubuntu and that worked just fine, only i have to use again SMB or NFS to backup my dataset to Crashplan.Same when using a VM in ESXi which i am using now already but not for crashplan, just for a iTunes server.

This is my setup now:
ESXi 6.5 with 4 VM's
1 Corral (using 64Gb RAM, 16 cores, 8x4TB Data, 3x3TB Backup 2x 120GB VM-Docker on 2 LSI 9211-8i)
2 FN 11 (4 cores, 16Gb ram, testing)
3 Windows 10 (4 cores, 4Gb)
4 Mac OS 9 (4 cores, 8Gb)

In Corral i use some dockers (Plex, Crashplan, NZBGet, Transmission, Couchpotato, Kodi, Nextcloud, homebridge)

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
I want to mount my Data pool to Crashplan, in docker it was just make a mount, so host: '/mnt/Data/' in docker mount '/freenasDATA' same for the old jails...
You can mount datastores in iocage, some research simply needs to be done to determine the command(s) to use. I would start with a forum search, and if nothing is found, create a thread and ask.

Oh about Ubuntu, well... i don't like bhyve i found it not stable enough yet. I used iohuve before with ubuntu and that worked just fine, only i have to use again SMB or NFS to backup my dataset to Crashplan. Same when using a VM in ESXi which i am using now already but not for crashplan, just for a iTunes server.
Multiple users run Ubuntu in a VM for the sole purpose of running the CrashPlan server and do not have issues. As to stability of VM hypervisors, I'm not sure what your experience has been with, but iXsystems wouldn't put an unstable hypervisor into FN11 for production machines.

If you're intent on runninng Corral, you need to be aware of any exploits that affect the software Corral uses in order to determine if you can apply a patch, and if so, how that patch will interact with the middleware.
  • While this may not be a huge deal 37 days after the discontinuation of Corral, it will became a larger problem as time goes by.
  • There's multiple reasons why Corral should no longer be used, especially with main pools, and users ignoring those reasons put their data and the security of their LAN at risk, with that risk rising as more time passes.
    • No one user is able to keep track of every piece of software utilized by Corral to determine if any of the code has been exploited, and if so, how to apply a patch.
    • You cannot manually update packages on FreeNAS, well you can, but there's an almost sure chance doing so will break functionality of the OS, and unless you're a BSD guru, you're taking a substantial risk by continuing to run Corral.

ajschot

Patron
You can mount datastores in iocage, some research simply needs to be done to determine the command(s) to use. I would start with a forum search, and if nothing is found, create a thread and ask.

Multiple users run Ubuntu in a VM for the sole purpose of running the CrashPlan server and do not have issues. As to stability of VM hypervisors, I'm not sure what your experience has been with, but iXsystems wouldn't put an unstable hypervisor into FN11 for production machines.

If you're intent on runninng Corral, you need to be aware of any exploits that affect the software Corral uses in order to determine if you can apply a patch, and if so, how that patch will interact with the middleware.
  • While this may not be a huge deal 37 days after the discontinuation of Corral, it will became a larger problem as time goes by.
  • There's multiple reasons why Corral should no longer be used, especially with main pools, and users ignoring those reasons put their data and the security of their LAN at risk, with that risk rising as more time passes.
    • No one user is able to keep track of every piece of software utilized by Corral to determine if any of the code has been exploited, and if so, how to apply a patch.
    • You cannot manually update packages on FreeNAS, well you can, but there's an almost sure chance doing so will break functionality of the OS, and unless you're a BSD guru, you're taking a substantial risk by continuing to run Corral.
I know that no patches are not coming anymore, that is why i am testing fn11, I will switch i can switch it is just a matter of changing passthrough and import my volumes. I just am working on this crashplan thing and my backup is almost completed. When it is finished i will make the switch. Just the last point, like i wrote i been for a while on FN10 so some shell commands are just forgotten i am totally not a BSD guru. Sometimes i think i need it to be with FN9/FN11. I am glad many people here are more advanced. I had FN9 running but it is a while ago now, and i had Debian in iohyve running crashplan with a vncserver in iohyve. So i can always do that again but it is also good to go further ;-)

For Bhyve i had problems because i was then on an AMD system and that was not working well. On fn11 i tried a week ago Debian but it did not worked well in bhyve with UEFI loader. I will try Ubuntu maybe that will work. Otherwise it is a couple of second to setup in one of my ESXi vm's. Just have to give it some more memory and some more CPU to do the job.

zoomzoom

Guru
That makes sense. BTW... you can also create a NFS share for ESXi, and use that NFS share to install a distro to and run CrashPlan from that distro.

Also, whenever you switch from Corral, don't destroy your Docker containers as they can still be used once Docker is incorporated into FN11, or with any other OS running Docker

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Is FreeNAS 11 able to do this via docker, easily yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.