SOLVED Tested CrashPlan 4.5 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cudencuden

Dabbler
hello, I am on Windows 10, with crashplan v4.6.0 (64-bit) client on PC and was able to follow everything except for last step..how do I start SSH tunnel..i can do this with putty? any help?

FYI: in windows ui_info is located at C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan , and ui_<yourPcLocalUserName>.properties is located at C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\conf

cudencuden

Dabbler
Yeah, Im looking for a more enterprise like solution. The constant issues are a PITA.
I was going to give rclone and Amazon Cloud Drive a spin, looks like unlimited storage for $60 per year, 300mbit+ uploads reported by some users and without the PITA of the Crashplan java nonsense.
You can use 'encfs' to encrypt your uploads too. Anyone whose tried it let me know how it went - save me a weekend faffing around if it doesn't work!

hmmm, i'll try this as well... have you heard that rsync/rclone + amazon cloud drive + freenas is easier than crashplan on freenas ? I just want to backup my freenas datasets to cloud

wtfR6a

Explorer
got pretty close but didnt quite manage to get the FUSE stuff work in 9.10. Im not sure if this is because we are half way to v10 or because Im half intelligent enough, my understanding was the kernel of FreeBSD 10 included the FUSE code but the user land stuff was still needed to enable EncFS to function.
rclone & cad-cli both work fine although its not possible to encrypt the uploads right now which is a deal breaker for me. I think we are close to being able to ditch Crashplan. The uploads I tested to ACD maxed my 150mbps line and I read reports of unto 600mbps being seen. Due to the bandwidth offered by ACD its possible to stream movies from the cloud apparently..... https://amc.ovh/2015/08/13/infinite-media-server.html
The good news is I did managed to coerce crashplan to update to v4.6 so clock isn't ticking quite so fast as it was before.

let me / keep us informed how you progress if you try please.

Paul W.

Cadet
Could you elaborate on the steps to update to v4.6? I have been following the previous thread, but I didn't want to jump in and update my install until there was some sort of consensus.

cudencuden

Dabbler
edit: i did not get it to work..i'm stuck on last step...don't know how to do the tunneling on windows pc

Could you elaborate on the steps to update to v4.6? I have been following the previous thread, but I didn't want to jump in and update my install until there was some sort of consensus.

you just change the download link to http://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.6.0_Linux.tgz , also use this cpio -idv < CrashPlan_4.6.0.cpi .....that's it. if you are using windows OS, reference my earlier post for the directory on client PC

Andrew076

Patron
So I got CrashPlan to install followed the instructions to install the "http://download.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.6.0_Linux.tgz" version.

However, my server will just connect to crash plan and says the following:

Code:
W 04/11/16 12:05PM Unable to apply upgrade(s), retrying in one hour 
I 04/11/16 12:09PM Downloading a new version of CrashPlan. 
W 04/11/16 12:09PM Download of upgrade failed - version 1435813200460, verificat
ion failed. 
W 04/11/16 12:09PM Unable to apply upgrade(s), retrying in one hour 
W 04/11/16 12:09PM Download of upgrade failed - version 1435813200460, verificat
ion failed. 
ion failed. 

but see the following:

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # cat /var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log | grep CPVER 
[04.11.16 11:26:12.621 INFO  main  com.backup42.service.CPService] CPVE
RSION = 4.6.0 - 1435813200460 (2015-07-02T05:00:00:460+0000) - Build: 382 
root@crashplan_1:/ #

What am I missing?

adrianwi

Guru
I followed the guide when it was still at 4.5.2 and got everything running without any issues.

It happily synced 2.7TB of data up to CrashPlan and then they released 4.6 and I couldn't connect the desktop app to the FreeNAS server through the SSH tunnel anymore, so tried updating CrashPlan to 4.6. Pretty sure this worked, but I still couldn't connect to it from the client.

That said, it's still happily backing up in the background so unless I need to change the datasets everything is fine. Not sure how I'd recover it, but I'll worry about that if it's ever needed. As everything is backed up locally it would need a major catastrophe for me to need it.

Andrew076

Patron
I think I am close but when I run sockstat -l java isn't listening and I can't seem to find the post about setting that up. I did it a long time ago so I was hoping someone knew where it was so I could get that part working.

Phlogi

Dabbler
My Crashplan on freenas got updated to 4.6.0 and I can't even see anything listening on sockstat -l. The engine seems running though. Anyone else on 4.6 already?

Ziferius

Dabbler
I'm running 4.6.0 just fine. I'm connecting from a linux system GUI to the headless freenas server.

wtfR6a

Explorer
mine was all running fine with 4.6 until I updated FreeNAS 9.10 to a nightly a few days ago and it now refuses to start the plugin in the GUI now. Everything is as its been for a while, all config files check out etc. I swear theres something funky going on with plugins/jails and the DHCP stuff which may be affecting it.

Talz

Cadet
I had it working on 9.10 but it broke again after the last update. I've got an IP address and network comms. Service starts and no errors in engine_output.log but no ports bound in sockstat. I'm lost for now. Need to clear the mind for a while before I can successfully cope with *nix.

windyboi

Explorer
I recently installed Crashplan and upgraded bash etc and when I tried to start crashplan I got this error:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/crashplan: WARNING: no shebang line in /usr/bin/cpuset
Starting CrashPlan Engine ... Using standard startup
OK

I followed these instructions to upgrade but get a new error, and crashplan still wont start:
[root@crashplan_1 /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan]# service crashplan start
Starting CrashPlan Engine ... Using standard startup
OK
[root@crashplan_1 /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan]# ELF binary type "0" not known.

And then it hangs.

Any ideas? Thanks

wtfR6a

Explorer
are you on the latest nightly?

windyboi

Explorer
Latest nightly? What's that? I'm on the most up to date FreeNAS 9.10 (no more updates available in updates tab)

wtfR6a

Explorer
Theres a stable branch and a nightly branch selectable under the Updates tab.
The latest nightly from a few days ago won't even let me start the Crashplan plugin on the plugins tab.
Its worth checking its set to 'on' before you start the service in the shell.
Its one of the things I want to debug this weekend and see if I can get it started again.

windyboi

Explorer
Ah ok, I'm on the Stable. I also cannot turn the plugin to On from the plugins tab.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.