Send test mail using Gmail help

chickennuggets

Dabbler
I am setting up and using Freenas for the first time. I was following this guide at https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-getting-freenas-to-email-you-in-gmail.22517/ , and I need some help on figuring out how to resolve this error after configuring email in root, setting up in System -> Email, and creating app password in Gmail to get around 2 factor authentication:
Code:
[EFAULT] Failed to send email: [Errno 65] No route to host

System Specs
Freenas version 11.3-U3.2
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F-O
CPU: Intel Pentium G4400
RAM: 64 GB
Boot Drive: 1x 120 GB Kingston A400 SSD
Drives: 2x 1.92GB Samsung sm863a SSD in mirror
All drives connected with direct SATA connection
Network cards: built in motherboard

I'm not very familiar with networking stuff, so I do need a little bit of walkthrough.

diedrichg

Wizard
Hi. I'm the author of that thread, are the steps not correct? If you follow them, are you able to get the one-time password step? From there it's just plugging in the required information into FreeNAS.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Don’t overlook mundane things like network settings. Under Network->Network Summary, do you have a default gateway, and DNS servers showing? Both would be required for sending to Gmail.

chickennuggets

Dabbler
Hi. I'm the author of that thread, are the steps not correct? If you follow them, are you able to get the one-time password step? From there it's just plugging in the required information into FreeNAS.
Yes, I have the one time password created.

Don’t overlook mundane things like network settings. Under Network->Network Summary, do you have a default gateway, and DNS servers showing? Both would be required for sending to Gmail.
Default Routes (same as gateway?) and nameservers are present - I didn't touch those fields and were already there by itself.

Samuel Tai

If you have IPv6 addresses active, you also need IPv6 default gateways and DNS servers.

chickennuggets

Dabbler
If you have IPv6 addresses active, you also need IPv6 default gateways and DNS servers.
I don't think I have any IPv6 active, from looking through my router settings.

Samuel Tai

Does Network->Network Summary show IPv6 addresses?

chickennuggets

Dabbler

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 229

Samuel Tai

What do you get from running nslookup smtp.gmail.com?

chickennuggets

Dabbler

Samuel Tai

That's the problem. DNS is sometimes returning the IPv6 address for smtp.gmail.com, and you don't have an IPv6 path out on your router.

chickennuggets

Dabbler
That's the problem. DNS is sometimes returning the IPv6 address for smtp.gmail.com, and you don't have an IPv6 path out on your router.
I see...Thank you so much for your help! Messing with IPv6 configurations on my router is a little beyond what I'm comfortable with. The reason I was setting up email in the first place was so that I can get warnings about my drive health. I'll just run smartctl every once in a while manually to take care of that for now.

Samuel Tai

You could run dnsmasq in a jail, and configure it to filter out IPv6.

chickennuggets

Dabbler
You could run dnsmasq in a jail, and configure it to filter out IPv6.

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction. I will need to do some reading and learning, then come back to this. This is going beyond the scope of my capabilities. I appreciate your time and effort!

glauco

Guru
You could try and disable all IPv6 settings on your router and see if that helps.

KevDog

Patron
Hmm, I curious for experimentation sake if he would use a different resolver such as 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2, and then query smtp.gmail.com if he would receive ipv6 addresses? If not, cant ipv6 just be deactivated at the router level?

subhuman

Contributor
Hmm, I curious for experimentation sake if he would use a different resolver such as 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2,
I was just going to suggest that. Any of the following should work

esamett

Patron
Hello: I have previously successfully used gmail with my FreeNAS-11.2-U7 production system. I just logged on and saw error messages from August 2020. I sent a test message and got: "Your test email could not be sent: [EAUTH] Authentication error (535): b'5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at\n5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials m15sm3231iow.9 - gsmtp "

Searching the forum and google I saw a technique for setting up app specific passwords. However I do NOT have two factor authentication set up so the option is not available.

Can someone enlighten me as to what may have happened to gmail and how I can fix it. I am happy otherwize with my current build and would rather not update if not needed.

Thank you in advance.

esamett

Patron
addendum: I originally succeeded with "SSL". Based upon a forum post I swiched to "TLS" without change in error message.

diedrichg

Wizard