Cannot send test email.[Solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrmerkov

Dabbler
Hi, brand new user here. After reading rules, I hope that I am not violating any.

Here is what I can determine of my hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU: Pentium G 3258
RAM: 8GB
Harddrives Seagate IronWolf 2TB x 2
HD Controller: On MB
Network Card: None. Ethernet cable plugged directly into MB

When trying to send the test email I got an [errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known.
As in a setup guide I used for my email settings:

smpt.gmail.com for the server
port 465
ssl
my gmail username and password.

After searching for this error, I have set, under Network Global Config (I don't know what these setting mean)
Hostname:frenas
Domain:10.0.0.5
Ipv4 Default Gateway:10.0.0.5
Nameserver1:10.0.0.5
Nameserver2:8.8.8.8

From the menu on the left of the GUI I selected shell and tried
ping google.com. I got the error: cannot resolve google.com: Hostname lookup failure

I then tried ping 8.8.8.8. Waited a while then hit cntrl C and got
61 packets transmitted. 0 packets received, 100% packet loss.

Many thanks for providing this forum for questions.
merk

You need to set an e-mail address for the root account. If you don't do that, it has no destination e-mail address to use for the test e-mail account.

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums.

To work on fixing the ping issue - what's the ip of your router, and do you have DNS entries in the DHCP server settings section for it? If so, what are they?

BTW - though it's not the issue here - freenas (two e's) is generally preferred ;-)

rrmerkov

Dabbler
Welcome to the forums.

To work on fixing the ping issue - what's the IP of your router, and do you have DNS entries in the DHCP server settings section for it? If so, what are they?

BTW - though it's not the issue here - freenas (two e's) is generally preferred ;-)
Hi, Thanks for the reply and sorry about the typo (frenas). The IP of the router is 10.0.0.1 it is from xfinity. I am not sure what DNS entries in the DHCP server settings means, however the primary DNS server (IPv4) is listed as 75.75.75.75 I cannot edit that.

Let me add that when I try ping google.com from my laptop it works fine.

Last edited:

rrmerkov

Dabbler
You need to set an e-mail address for the root account. If you don't do that, it has no destination e-mail address to use for the test e-mail account.
Thanks for the quick reply. I do have an email address set for the root account, it is my gmail address.
regards,
merk

Redcoat

MVP
Hostname:frenas
Domain:10.0.0.5
Ipv4 Default Gateway:10.0.0.5
Nameserver1:10.0.0.5
Nameserver2:8.8.8.8

OK - let's have you try this:

Domain:local
Ipv4 Default Gateway:10.0.0.1
Nameserver1:10.0.0.1
Nameserver2:10.0.0.1
Nameserver3:10.0.0.1

and Save.

Then, under "Network Summary" I would expect you to find your IPv4 address that's on the "System" "General" tab (from DHCP I guess, if you haven't set a static), and in the "Nameserver" list you will find 10.0.0.1, then 75.75.75.75 and perhaps one more if you have a secondary DNS listed in your router.

If all goes to plan you'll be able to ping from the FreeNAS shell and, I imagine, get the test email to work, too.

Redcoat

MVP
Oh, yes, if it doesn't go to plan you might be facing an issue with your "Network Card" - yes, you have the item of interest but it is integrated into your MB.

Looking at your mobo specs at https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B85M-D3H-rev-10-11#sp we find that the LAN device is a "Realtek® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)".

Realtek is quite frequently found to be a source of problems for FreeNAS (which is based on FreeBSD) because Realtek does not keep up the development of drivers for FreeBSD, apparently because of the small user base such a development effort would serve (I suppose by comparison with Windoze). The standard advice in this case will be to recommend that you pick up an Intel NIC on eBay - if you're faced with this, do a search here and find multiple threads with suggested part numbers.

rrmerkov

Dabbler
OK - let's have you try this:

Domain:local
Ipv4 Default Gateway:10.0.0.1
Nameserver1:10.0.0.1
Nameserver2:10.0.0.1
Nameserver3:10.0.0.1

and Save.

Then, under "Network Summary" I would expect you to find your IPv4 address that's on the "System" "General" tab (from DHCP I guess, if you haven't set a static), and in the "Nameserver" list you will find 10.0.0.1, then 75.75.75.75 and perhaps one more if you have a secondary DNS listed in your router.

If all goes to plan you'll be able to ping from the FreeNAS shell and, I imagine, get the test email to work, too.

Many thanks for your reply. I can now ping from the FreeNAS shell, but I still get the same error message when trying to send the test email.

Redcoat

MVP
@rrmerkov - it's really difficult for anyone to help you when all you tell us is "it didn't work". What error message are you receiving now when you try to send a test email?

rrmerkov

Dabbler
@rrmerkov - it's really difficult for anyone to help you when all you tell us is "it didn't work". What error message are you receiving now when you try to send a test email?

Sorry, I am getting the same error message as before:
[errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The only thing I have listed in my network config is:

hostname: freenas
domain: local
ipv4 default gateway: 192.168.0.1

And everything works. Are you sure your gateway address is correct? That should be the address of your router in most cases.

Redcoat

MVP
FreeNAS picks up the name servers from my router's DNS server lists:
upload_2018-6-7_20-16-22.png

Sounds like the gateway is correct if he can ping google from the shell, doesn't it?

Last edited:

silverback

Contributor
Hi, brand new user here. After reading rules, I hope that I am not violating any.

Here is what I can determine of my hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU: Pentium G 3258
RAM: 8GB
Harddrives Seagate IronWolf 2TB x 2
HD Controller: On MB
Network Card: None. Ethernet cable plugged directly into MB

When trying to send the test email I got an [errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known.
As in a setup guide I used for my email settings:

smpt.gmail.com for the server
port 465
ssl
my gmail username and password.

You might try using TLS instead of SSL.

rrmerkov

Dabbler
Many thanks for all of your help. I am at work now, so I can't access my machine. But my understanding and guesswork as to how this works is that when I type "ping google.com" from the shell via the GUI the OS (FreeNAS) must somehow find the address of the server at google.com. Since the nameserver in my FreeNAS configuration is my router (10.0.0.1) the OS asks the router for the address. The router then looks up the address from its DNS server (75.75.75.75) and returns this to the OS which then knows where to send the packet. Since I did get a response from the server at google.com , it is my best guess that the nameservers in the configuration of FreeNAS are correct. Thus, my guess is that I have something incorrect in the email setup. I have tried both TLS port 587 and SSL port 465 , and receive the same error message

[errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known

When I get home after work I will double check the email settings to make sure that I didn't type something incorrectly.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What are you using for the "from email:" address?

Redcoat

MVP
Ahhhhhhh..........

I'm going to guess this is the problem (unless it's a typo and not a copy/paste) - I must be going blind:

From #1 above "smpt.gmail.com for the server" should be "smtp.gmail.com"

Status
Not open for further replies.