Manual update to Truenas 12.0-U2 fail

chickennuggets

Dabbler
Hello,
I am trying apply a manual update from Truenas 12.0-U1.1 to Truenas 12.0-U2 and I am getting the following error after hitting apply update button:
updateissue.PNG

System Specs
Freenas version 12.0-U1.1
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F-O
CPU: Intel Pentium G4400
RAM: 64 GB
Boot Drive: 1x 120 GB Kingston A400 SSD
Drives: 2x 1.92GB Samsung sm863a SSD in mirror
All drives connected with direct SATA connection
Network cards: built in motherboard

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Interesting, can you perhaps try changing from "Memory Device" to storing the file on your pool? Maybe ram is already allocated and in use by ARC and other things.

chickennuggets

Dabbler
Interesting, can you perhaps try changing from "Memory Device" to storing the file on your pool? Maybe ram is already allocated and in use by ARC and other things.
I tried changing it to my storage pool. The same error occurred shortly after I hit apply update.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Did you check the checksums of the file you are uploading or try another browser? Something clearly doesn't seem right there.

You could also try uploading the file over SSH and run "freenas-update <path-to-file>" to see if that tosses another error.

chickennuggets

Dabbler

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
There's a .sha256 file which contains the SHA256 checksum for the manual update TAR file. You'll need to verify the TAR file's checksum matches the one in the .sha256 file to have confidence you have a good download. To generate a checksum, use a PowerShell, and run Get-FileHash /path/to/TAR/file.

chickennuggets

Dabbler
There's a .sha256 file which contains the SHA256 checksum for the manual update TAR file. You'll need to verify the TAR file's checksum matches the one in the .sha256 file to have confidence you have a good download. To generate a checksum, use a PowerShell, and run Get-FileHash /path/to/TAR/file.
Is checksum verification case sensitive? I compared the sha256 file from https://download.freenas.org/latest/ to the string I got in powershell - both are identical in letters and numbers except uppercase and lowercase is switched. Screenshot here shows the sha256 file on the first line and the second line is copy/pasted from powershell output:
hash.PNG

Samuel Tai

No, checksums aren't case sensitive.

chickennuggets

Dabbler
Well any ideas on what I should go from here? I'm puzzled.

Samuel Tai

Try rebooting and then reattempting the upgrade.

chickennuggets

Dabbler

Samuel Tai

What does /var/log/middlewared.log show?

chickennuggets

Dabbler
Hey! So while waiting for further instructions, I did a full shut down and unplugged the power. Then I turned it back on and tried again...IT UPDATED!! I don't know why that worked. Thank you Kris and Samuel!

Samuel Tai

OK, glad you're back up & running.