SOLVED Seeking clarification with package repository availability issues (when package previously available)

Bikerchris

Patron
Hello all,

Try as I might, I just had a small question, very sorry to trouble you.

I've installed SyncThing many times on many TrueNAS and formally FreeNAS installs without issue. Over the past 3-4 days however, I've been unable to install it as a plugin or jail.

Initially I tried the simple plugin method and received this message:

Error: syncthing had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - syncthing : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed

I then tried to do it manually, as in create a jail, then pkg install syncthing (after pkg update) and received this message:

root@syncthing:/bin # pkg install syncthing Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue... FreeBSD repository is up to date. All repositories are up to date. pkg: No packages available to install matching 'syncthing' have been found in the repositories

After this I thought perhaps I have network issues, so I ping'd google with success, I also tried pkg install netdata and that offered the download/install as usual.

I understand that installing in any other way can affect the stability of the system in general, I just wish confirmation that I should just patiently wait until it's available again? I'm perfectly fine waiting, just seeking clarification.

Many thanks and look forward to any responses.

Chris

Bikerchris

Patron

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
This is a common annoyance with packages on the FreeBSD side, they can come/go at will if they just happen to fail a build during the latest or quarterly runs... I may sound like a broken record, but Apps on SCALE will be a far superior experience and not have this issue ;)

Bikerchris

Patron
This is a common annoyance with packages on the FreeBSD side, they can come/go at will if they just happen to fail a build during the latest or quarterly runs... I may sound like a broken record, but Apps on SCALE will be a far superior experience and not have this issue ;)
Thank you Kris, really appreciate your comment.

I'm sure great efforts are made in the background with repository's, but it would be superb if a local repository could be a thing? When able I like to promote TrueNAS and it would be a little awkward if I were on someone's premises, wishing to show them SyncThing or a similar package, and I have to say that I'll be back in a week when the download is working.

Haha, yes I have tried Scale...to be honest it took me long enough to learn Core, so I'm in no hurry to jump ship! If my income/life was in tech, I'd have no hesitation :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
but it would be superb if a local repository could be a thing
It's easy to build one with a spare machine and poudriere ... that's what we do for our ~100 servers.

Bikerchris

Patron
It's easy to build one with a spare machine and poudriere ... that's what we do for our ~100 servers.
Thank you Patrick, I wonder for situations where only 3 servers are local, is there any practical way of placing them in a read only dataset on one machine, then creating a mount point for a jail? I'm sure I have a spare machine somewhere, just not sure I entirely trust it! Thank you.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can run poudriere in a jail. It does need ZFS underneath, though. You do not need to mount the repo - just run a web server and have managed machines install via HTTP(S).

Bikerchris

Patron
You can run poudriere in a jail. It does need ZFS underneath, though. You do not need to mount the repo - just run a web server and have managed machines install via HTTP(S).
Thank you, I'll put that one my 'learn and todo' list!

Bikerchris

Patron
but Apps on SCALE will be a far superior experience and not have this issue ;)
Hmm, just installed Scale on a spare machine, Syncthing was up and running quite quickly, once I figured out a few things. No doubt far from secure but it was a relatively painless experience and even had successful sync'ing between phone and server. Something I might look into further, may be worth the time investment :)

Bikerchris

Patron
No need for comment, merely a follow up.

Unfortunately the SyncThing install on Scale went awry, seemed to not save settings upon restarting the container. I'll go back to the comfort of Core for the moment but I will certainly give it another try in 6 months or so.