unable to install Syncthing

matteob86

Explorer
hello everybody,

i want to install Syncthing to upload my phone datas to my nas but when i try to install it i get this error

Error: Syncthing had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - syncthing : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed

why?

i have seen on my router that it was create the ip

1648679580171.png

thanks

q/pa

Explorer
I tried to update Syncthing which did not work. Now I cannot reach the IP anymore. I noticed that neither in the plugins list nor on my installation the version is shown, it just reads N/A.

Nordlicht-13

Explorer
I'm face the same problem. SyncThink-Plugin installation stops at 75% with the Error:
SyncThing had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - syncthing : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed

I already installed 3 other plugins (nextcloud, duplicati and plexserver) without installationproblems.

Hope that somebody has a solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance

Nordlicht-13

Explorer
Might be the Plugin have the problem?
All other Plugins show a Version above the installation button.

SyncThink shows no Version:

Official Plugin verified_user
Version: N/A
Installed Instances: 0

Barrow1990

Cadet
I have the same issue.
Might be the Plugin have the problem?
All other Plugins show a Version above the installation button.

SyncThink shows no Version:

Official Plugin verified_user
Version: N/A
Installed Instances: 0
I have the same issue.
I feel this is what the issue is.
The workaround is to manually install it in a jail.
If your unsure on how to do it, you can use this guide:
Manual Jail Setup Tutorial For Syncthing on FreeNAS 11.3YouTube · Lawrence Systems11 Apr 2020

Nordlicht-13

Explorer
Installing Synvthing manualy in a jail worked fpr me, after setting the jailuser from root to the syncthing-user.
Thanks for the help.

q/pa

Explorer
I also created a new base jail and set up Syncthing all new. I just deleted the old plugin.

q/pa

Explorer
Hi @dropio, similar but not the same. I do not really understand why his jail is hosting the Syncthing web page. Also I do not need an ssh connection to my Syncthing jail. Following you will find roughly the steps I went through to set up my jail:

1. Create a new base jail for Syncthing (named syncthing; before that I renamed the old plugin (iocage rename old_plugin_name new_plugin_name))
2. Via ssh to my TrueNAS box (alternatively via the shell button in the Jails section) I did: iocage console syncthing
3. (in new jail) pkg update, pkg install syncthing, pkg install nginx
4. For the next step you need the file /usr/local/etc/syncthing/config.xml. To create it, just start/stop syncthing once: service syncthing start then service syncthing stop (thanks go to @_patrick_ for the tip)
5. Look into the file /usr/local/etc/syncthing/config.xml and change <address>127.0.0.1:8384</address> into <address>0.0.0.0:8384</address>
6. To /etc/rc.conf add the following:
syncthing_enable="YES"
nginx_enable="YES"
hostname="syncthing"

don't know of the following lines are there by default:
# Enable IPv6
ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
ifconfig_epair0b="SYNCDHCP"

7. Exit jail console; iocage set exec_jail_user=syncthing syncthing and iocage set boot=on syncthing
8. Then you should ssh into your old plugin and copy the contents of /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf; ssh into you new jail and set up the same file there accordingly.
9. Then (inside the new jail via ssh) try: service syncthing start and service nginx start (or just restart the whole jail) and check if you can reach the syncthing web page (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/syncthing)
10. Stop the jail, add your mountpoints (see video for that) and set up Syncthing

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

Good luck and have a great day!

Edit: Added 6. Exit jail console; iocage set exec_jail_user=syncthing syncthing and iocage set boot=on syncthing
Edit2: Added 4. For the next step you need the file /usr/local/etc/syncthing/config.xml. To create it, just start/stop syncthing once: service syncthing start then service syncthing stop (thanks go to @_patrick_ for the tip)

Last edited:

dropio

Dabbler
Hi and thank you very much for the quick answer.
I tried it, but my problem is, that I do not have any "old" plugin or jail I can copy of.
And it really annoys me that I have to fiddle around in some consoles. I picked TrueNas (FreeNas) because of the working integration and UI. Why in the world is that plugin not working? Lot's of people can use it but not us.

q/pa

Explorer
Hi and thank you very much for the quick answer.
I tried it, but my problem is, that I do not have any "old" plugin or jail I can copy of.
And it really annoys me that I have to fiddle around in some consoles. I picked TrueNas (FreeNas) because of the working integration and UI. Why in the world is that plugin not working? Lot's of people can use it but not us.
I understand your frustration. Ease of use is the reason for the existence of plugins with the downside that then you depend on the maintainers. Maybe you should investigate where on github this plugin is located and open an issue with a detailed description of the problem. It is way more likely that this will bring the attention of the maintainer(s) to the problem than a series of posts on the forums. I hope for you that this will get resolved as soon as possible!

dropio

Dabbler
I understand your frustration. Ease of use is the reason for the existence of plugins with the downside that then you depend on the maintainers. Maybe you should investigate where on github this plugin is located and open an issue with a detailed description of the problem. It is way more likely that this will bring the attention of the maintainer(s) to the problem than a series of posts on the forums. I hope for you that this will get resolved as soon as possible!
Thank you for the kind words, I hope I didn't sound rude, I was ur demotivated at the moment. Unfortunately I could find absolutely nothing about the plugin on github or on the web. There was an app repo in TrueNAS Orga but it didn't include all the apps.

pogodaddy

Cadet
Hi @dropio, similar but not the same. I do not really understand why his jail is hosting the Syncthing web page. Also I do not need an ssh connection to my Syncthing jail. Following you will find roughly the steps I went through to set up my jail:

1. Create a new base jail for Syncthing (named syncthing; before that I renamed the old plugin (iocage rename old_plugin_name new_plugin_name))
2. Via ssh to my TrueNAS box (alternatively via the shell button in the Jails section) I did: iocage console syncthing
3. (in new jail) pkg update, pkg install syncthing, pkg install nginx
4. Look into the file /usr/local/etc/syncthing/config.xml and change <address>127.0.0.1:8384</address> into <address>0.0.0.0:8384</address>
5. To /etc/rc.conf add the following:
syncthing_enable="YES"
nginx_enable="YES"
hostname="syncthing"

don't know of the following lines are there by default:
# Enable IPv6
ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
ifconfig_epair0b="SYNCDHCP"

6. Exit jail console; iocage set exec_jail_user=syncthing syncthing and iocage set boot=on syncthing
7. Then you should ssh into your old plugin and copy the contents of /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf; ssh into you new jail and set up the same file there accordingly.
8. Then (inside the new jail via ssh) try: service syncthing start and service nginx start (or just restart the whole jail) and check if you can reach the syncthing web page (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/syncthing)
9. Stop the jail, add your mountpoints (see video for that) and set up Syncthing

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

Good luck and have a great day!

Edit: Added 6. Exit jail console; iocage set exec_jail_user=syncthing syncthing and iocage set boot=on syncthing
Ok, I have followed the video from Lawrence Tech and tried several different ways. I cannot for the life of me get past the pkg install synching.
I get "No packages available to install matching 'synching' have been found in the repositories" every time. I have done pkg update, pkg upgrade. I have done pkg search sync and I find that there is no pkg named syncthing in my repositories. So I'm guessing I need to add to my repositories but I just can not figure it out. Any help please? I'm currently running TrueNAS-12.0-U8. I promise I have spent a few hours googling like crazy and I'm still stuck.

biggzie

Cadet
I have exactly the same problem doing exactly the same as you using the same method and the same version of TrueNAS, on FreeNas Mini XL hardware!