Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Interesting. The Synology PDF mentions that the first thing it does after detecting a new Seagate drive is try to sell you a Seagate data recovery plan.

WD and other vendors will probably come up with similar systems.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think you need another option: "I don't care".

So I looked at the propaganda and I think it's funny that it states that it looks at over 200 parameters on the drive yet only lists only 5. I'd like to see a full list of those 200 items. Lets tear this apart...

Code 100 - High Temp. Yup, SMART has that covered and so does FreeNAS.
Code 101 - Connection Issue. Yup, SMART has this covered and so does FreeNAS.
Code 102 - High Shock. Yup, SMART has this covered but you are going to need a script in FreeNAS if you want to monitor it.
Code 105 - Excessive Vibration. Well this is new to me so this one may be valid unless its in the SMART data.
Code 106 - Excessive Host Resets. A script using SMART could do this too.

So at this point in time I just don't see the need for it, also it adds another level of complexity to FreeNAS, why risk having a hard drive headache?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Synology PDF mentions that the first thing it does after detecting a new Seagate drive is try to sell you a Seagate data recovery plan.
Ewww... That is a new low.

gpsguy

Maybe we should submit a similar request for FreeNAS. :eek: After all, if it's a Synology feature, our users' will probably want it too. (not!).

Stux

MVP
Sounds like enhanced version of SMART...

I read the heading is "Seagate Wealth Management"...

joeschmuck

Old Man

farmerpling2

Patron
I just could not leave that lonely 0, so I made it a 1... :rolleyes:

What needs to happen is a way to access the various functions via browser along with monitoring and notification. Email/txt phone/etc.

Saying it can be done with a script, just needs to be written might be a sign that freenas customers really would like it. Some helpful scripts have been written, but it requires someone with knowledge to make them all work.

I have been thinking about doing something like that. It is not rocket science, but just a matter of a consistent user interface and backend to do all of the work to make it happen. Notifications of possible failures are actually a great selling point.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If I purchase these drives then I'm good to write up a script but until then I can't do much. I think the script could be written to recognize the drive as an IronWolf model and then pull in the extra features list. This means that we can just update current code and keep it simple for everyone. Black November is here so i'm keeping an eye out for my 6TB drives but once the price hits $170 or less each, SOLD! These could be WD or Seagate, I dont care however I would prefer the Ironwolf model, I do desire the 7200 RPM drive this time around.

I have to agree.
Personally I've been using Seagate enterprise class drives so this isn't supported for me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.