Screen Capture during boot up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easygoer

Explorer
Hi,

As I am not a computer geek, this is a real dumb question:D

How do I do a screen capture during the boot process so I can upload shots of error messages?. I tried a search in the forums but could not find any documentation.
I am trying to figure out some problems/messages on boot up after upgrade v9.3>9.1
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
IPMI or serial console redirection.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you would rather just look at the information after the system is booted up then you can go into the Shell and type "dmesg | more". If you want to save it as a text file, just ensure you are in a folder where you want the file to be created (I choose a folder that is being shared so I can access the file via Windows CIFS share), then type "dmesg > dmesglog.txt" and you will have a new file. You can use "cat dmesglog.txt | more" to view it using the shell, or if you want to scroll up and down the file I like using the editor called "ee". To use it type "ee dmesglog.txt". To exit ee just hit ESCape and answer the prompts.

That is more than you asked for but if you are looking for a problem, grabbing screenshots can be a pain in the rear.

Easygoer

Explorer
If you would rather just look at the information after the system is booted up then you can go into the Shell and type "dmesg | more". If you want to save it as a text file, just ensure you are in a folder where you want the file to be created (I choose a folder that is being shared so I can access the file via Windows CIFS share), then type "dmesg > dmesglog.txt" and you will have a new file. You can use "cat dmesglog.txt | more" to view it using the shell, or if you want to scroll up and down the file I like using the editor called "ee". To use it type "ee dmesglog.txt". To exit ee just hit ESCape and answer the prompts.

That is more than you asked for but if you are looking for a problem, grabbing screenshots can be a pain in the rear.
Thanks joeschmuck for the detailed reply. You have pointed me in the right direction. It looks like I will have to learn some computer commands:). Really appreciate it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The commands are not too difficult to learn, sometimes it's just frustrating to learn them and then not use them for half a year, then having to relearn them again. Google is my friend. If you need any advice on how to look at the data, pull it off, find an easy to use SSH viewer (like Putty) then just ask. Most of us will offer assistance. Just be as clear as you can in your request.

Also, when you look at the dmesg data, you will fine error messages from time to time, the trick is to know which ones are expected and which ones are not. Most of those depend on your hardware. If you have a problem then you can tell us what that problem is, being as descriptive as possible because it helps reduce guess work, and post the contents of the file or a link to the contents (using pastebin.com). Make the Title of your thread match the issue, not something like "I need help".

Status
Not open for further replies.