Stuck during first boot

TheoRK

Cadet
Hi All,

I am finally giving FreeNAS a try on an old DELL workstation (Xeon processor, 32GB ECC Ram) I outfitted with an older AMD graphics card I could spare (5770) and 3x4TB Drives (that already contain a ZFS pool from a previous linux test run) and an INTEL SSD of 64GB.

Downloaded the ISO, put it on a 4GB USB stick with the recommended tool from the instructional videos (not my first system install, but wanted to do it by the book) and because it's a little oder hardware did not chose uefi. It started, installed, I restarted and removed the medium, but now it's stuck during boot. Always holds with this final screen, I left it running for almost an hour in case it needs to do something, but it just seems stuck.

FreeNAS stuck.jpg

Help?

TheoRK

Cadet
Please ignore the 2nd attachment, it's dolby atmos speaker instructions uploaded by accident (why can't I edit my own post?!)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you sure there's a second attachment? I don't see anything and the history on your post is clear.

Anyway, I don't know if the IPMI part is done with those two messages, but if it isn't, disabling the IPMI stuff in FreeNAS would probably help. You wouldn't lose anything too useful, but you'd probably have to fiddle around in single-user mode to disable it.

TheoRK

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. WHat is IPMI good for? Starting the machine remotely while it is switched off and things like that?
Unfortunately it does not even start up to a point where I could fiddle around with it :-(

P.S.: Reported my own post, got removed it seems. Can't edit my 2nd post, so it all looks a bit odd now... lol.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Remote control and monitoring of the hardware, broadly speaking.

Unfortunately it does not even start up to a point where I could fiddle around with it :-(
You should be able to choose single-user mode at the bootloader, right after the system firmware exits.

TheoRK

Cadet
O.K. I tried with disconnected Ethernet. IPMI is not an option in Bios, but I deactivated things like "wake on lan". Selected "single user mode" in bootloader, but still get stuck at the same point...