Stuck on POST after install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggyk

Contributor
I put my older parts together that is amd based and I put the freenas iso onto a usb and had a blank usb to install on.

FreeNas sees all disk and seemed to install fine but when I restarted, I wanted to go into bios to make sure the freenas usb was the first to boot the computer is a stuck at the post screen. If I remove the usb and restart the computer works fine. Iv tried with two other usb sticks but same problem.

Its an Phenom 2 955 with a Gigabyte 770t-usb3 motherboard. I have a small 250g drive in there which freenas setup also detected but its only in there temporary once I know everything is working.

Im not really sure where to go from here.

solarisguy

Guru
@biggyk, can you please install FreeDOS into the same USB memory device (i.e. overwrite it) and see whether you can boot into FreeDOS ?

biggyk

Contributor
@solarisguy I thought you meant can I run it in a live session but realized FreeDos cant do that. Il will report back in a bit with my results.

biggyk

Contributor
@solarisguy Not sure whats wrong now but when I have my formatted fat32 4gb usb stick inserted, the computer is stuck on POST. As stated there is nothing on it and I was able to access and format it from another computer.

I took it out and restarted with the just the FreeDos usb and it did boot the setup screen. Pretty weird that I was able to install FreeNas to the 4gb stick before it got stuck.

Btw...im also only using 2gb dd3 ram from my current computer as I didnt want to buy deticated ram for this system untill I knew this was a go.

biggyk

Contributor
@solarisguy like I said, it would just be to make sure it installs and boots fine. Once I know this computer is ok, I was going to go out a buy at least 8gb for this system.

I reforamted the 4gb stick and it does clear post but in FreeDos setup it just show the formatted 4gb stick

solarisguy

Guru
You can retry installing FreeNAS, but
* try powering everything off (unplugging the cables!) for 3 minutes, and only afterwards retry installing;
* you cannot expect a correct behaviour from FreeNAS, when it expects 8GB of RAM and you do not have even 6GB of RAM.

biggyk

Contributor
I understand that, youre right. Im just figuing thats not the issue atm since Im just trying to have it get out of post and begining booting of the usb.

Also, I dont think this motherboard supports eufi. Could that be a problem?

Last edited:

solarisguy

Guru
I understand that, youre right. Im just figuing thats not the issue atm since Im just trying to have it get out of post and begining booting of the usb.

Also, I dont think this motherboard supports eufi. Could that be a problem?
UEFI? No, but not understanding GPT could be your problem... = you have way too old hardware

P.S.
Please read recommendations for the hardware: 8GB ECC RAM etc.

biggyk

Contributor
Spelling error, I know more than you are assuming. ;)

Thanks anyways.

solarisguy

Guru
I was not just trying to point out a spelling error :D , I was making sure that anybody who reads the forum understands that the problem is with GPT (UEFI by default supports GPT).

biggyk

Contributor
Well maybe im better off choosing another os/route to go. I didnt really want to go out and purchase all new hardware. Oh well.

Last edited:

solarisguy

Guru
If you have hardware that is pre-UEFI, then unless it is a good quality server hardware that was built to last, I would not entrust my storage to it.

solarisguy

Guru
If you use too old of the hardware, you would not be able to use full potential of disks larger than 2TB.

If you have many older disks, they might be dying on you sooner than later = you better go with RAID-Z2, and that means better hardware to support ZFS.

If you have some older disk, you would need to replace them as they fail. In Canada, disks larger than 2TB offer the lowest cost per GB stored, so you better calculate your future costs before starting your adventure.

P.S.
Please notice that I have never mentioned that your solution would be slow, as various people have various needs. And I am assuming that you had considered that factor and you do not need speed.

biggyk

Contributor
What if I would rather use UFS? As I have the hardware for ECC ram and was only planning to get a 3tb or 2 drives. Should I use nas4free instead? If I recall, FreeNas does not support UFS anymore.

solarisguy

Guru
UFS is not a magic cure... Quite opposite...

In the early days of FreeNAS, people were happy to have in it a somewhat simple management tool for their disks. And they were happy (otherwise the project would have died outright). Then, with time, people noticed, like the inventors of ZFS and other modern filesystems before them, that although it is very nice to have a manageable storage, it is even nicer to have a reliable storage, and then realized that they are really after reliable data... Hence UFS support was considered a legacy (transitional) in FreeNAS 9.2.x, and the current FreeNAS is only ZFS.

NAS4Free says outright "For using ZFS, we recommend a absolute minimum of 4GB RAM and using a 64-bits install only". You may be able to find some old Sun recommendations for RAM that were more relaxed than that, but that was long, long ago in a different fairyland.

biggyk

Contributor
Well unfortunately FreeNas is not going to suit my needs. Im going with Ubuntu Server for now. Thanks anyways :)

Status
Not open for further replies.