Console screen on system not displayed - EFI blind mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaere

Cadet
Console menu and messages not being displayed on monitor after 9.10.1 upgrade.
After post / grub. Screen goes black and no console messages or menu. The option is selected in my Advanced tab in the GUI.

System boots, with nothing going to the monitor directly connected. It was working before I reinstalled using 9.10.1

Message that comes up is

No suitable video mode found.
Booting in EFI blind mode

The system was working perfectly in 9.10 before I reinstalled. (replacing / upgraded some drives / network cards)

Any help would be appreciated. Not a Guru for Linux / FreeBSD so simple instructions please :)

Some system details

MB: Gigabyte GA-F288XM -D3H
32GB RAM
6x 4TB drives
1x 120SSD (jails drive, mainly because it was sitting there)
Booting of a 16GB USB2

Last edited:

Vaere

Cadet
I initially did an upgrade from GRUB crashed out to prompt and would not load any further . After which I did a reinstall. I added the SSD when I reinstalled

D

dlavigne

Try going into the BIOS and changing it to BIOS-mode, then reinstalling 9.10.1. Let us know if that does not fix the error.

subzer011

Dabbler
same here. i downloaded latest iso (july 3rd) and did fresh install. after rebooting and grub screen countdown, the screen simply went black. no messages on console or anything. i reverted to the previous iso release which worked fine. i also tried updating to 9.10.1 via the webpage gui with similar result. after web gui update was finished and the system self-rebooted, the system went into grub recovery mode and wouldn't continue any further. i'm using UEFI. i will try switching to BIOS when i get back home.

romracer

Cadet
I had this happen on my Skylake build as well. It looks like someone decided that 'set kernvt="sc"' should be the default for everyone to fix a bug that a few users had with vt. Not sure how that passed QA. And based on where its placed in grub.cfg (or 00_header), it overrides all of the detection of if BIOS vs UEFI. And to cap it off, you can't override kern.vty via loader.conf because your custom setting is placed above "set kFreeBSD.kern.vty=$kernvt" in the grub.cfg so the built-in (short-circuited) logic always wins.

To verify this is your problem too, pause the boot at the GRUB menu. Hit whatever key it says to edit commands (c I think). Scroll through the GRUB commands and remove the lines that say "set kFreeBSD.kern.vty=$kernvt" (there should be three of them). Alternately, edit that line to say 'set kFreeBSD.kern.vty="vt"'. Then proceed to boot (I think its F10, but it says at the bottom of the screen). You should be able to choose "Normal Boot" assuming you edited/removed all three lines.

If this boots and you can see output, great, you have the same issue. If you want to check your current kern.vty (assuming you can boot and SSH in), run "sysctl kern.vty". Mine said "sc" whenever I had no output. It says "vt" when my output works.

Edit: I believe this is the bug I found last night which I also believe is the source of this problem: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/16156

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and assign it to Kris Moore. He'll need to add another check in that code to also cover this type of hardware. Include what you said above in your ticket and post the ticket number here.

dAlexis

Dabbler
Same thing with me. Was creating a new installation (upgrading to to RAIDZ2, clean install and data copy). 9.10.1 - blind screen after GRUB. Lucky am I, 9.10 iso was present - works now. Is it possible to add "text console mode" in GRUB menu?
By the way, will it load with blind screen? No worries about boot messages, but system should work indeed.

chris1664

Cadet
first post on here so sorry if it is somewhere else but I've been trying to sort this for days i have this problem and i changed the kFreeBSD.kern.vty="vt" in the GRUB by pressing e on boot and it booted up and ran like a dream but every time i shutdown or reboot i have to change the kFreeBSD.kern.vty="vt" every time or it wont boot (black screen) is there a way to save the settings so i don't have to change it every time i reboot

romracer

Cadet
Same thing with me. Was creating a new installation (upgrading to to RAIDZ2, clean install and data copy). 9.10.1 - blind screen after GRUB. Lucky am I, 9.10 iso was present - works now. Is it possible to add "text console mode" in GRUB menu?
By the way, will it load with blind screen? No worries about boot messages, but system should work indeed.

It should boot blind. And you can see the boot messages via the "console" thing at the bottom of the web interface (if you enable that option).

romracer

Cadet
first post on here so sorry if it is somewhere else but I've been trying to sort this for days i have this problem and i changed the kFreeBSD.kern.vty="vt" in the GRUB by pressing e on boot and it booted up and ran like a dream but every time i shutdown or reboot i have to change the kFreeBSD.kern.vty="vt" every time or it wont boot (black screen) is there a way to save the settings so i don't have to change it every time i reboot

Unfortunately, there's not a good, supported way to make it permanent. You could edit /usr/local/etc/grub.d/00_header and force it to vt there, and then run "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg". But that's not supported, permanent (if you reboot, 00_header will revert, and if you do something to generate a new grub config after that, your change would be lost) or recommended.

If you check the bug report, Kris has proposed a solution and an option to override the default. But that won't be available until 9.10.1-U1 (assuming it passes review) and I don't know when 9.10.1-U1 is targeted.

chris1664

Cadet
many thanks for the quick reply and i will keep a eye on the 9.10.1-u1 build but i have solved my problem by wiping everything (was a new build) and going back to 9.3 stable and boots and runs fine so ill just wait and see but many thanks

dAlexis

Dabbler
many thanks for the quick reply and i will keep a eye on the 9.10.1-u1 build but i have solved my problem by wiping everything (was a new build) and going back to 9.3 stable and boots and runs fine so ill just wait and see but many thanks

Hmm, 4 me with Skylake 9.3 is not possible... 9.10 w\o .1 is OK. Maybe, will upgrade, because it should boot normally.

chris1664

Cadet
Well I didn't know my ip so it might have worked just no display I don't know but I'm running 9.3 and it's fine now for your info I'm running

Mother board = gigabyte gaming 7
Processor = Intel i7 4771
Hdd = 2X segate 500gig
Ram = 16 gig
Boot drive is a 16 gig sandisk ultra slim

proligde

Dabbler
Alternately, edit that line to say 'set kFreeBSD.kern.vty="vt"

First of all - thanks for saving my day! Had exactly that problem and the system did not boot up in blind mode. I had to edit the grub settings manually to get it up again.

My (relevant) Hardware:
  • ASRock E3C226D2I
  • Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8GB
My scenario how I bricked it:
  • Attempted to Update from 9.10 to 9.10.1 via GUI - Update looked well, System rebooted but didn't came up again.
  • Plugged in a screen to see the grub configuration was somehow messed up saying something like "no such device <uuid>" dropping into Grub rescue shell.
  • Re-Applied Update using another USB-Stick, selecting "upgrade" (again) - According to the shell output this seemed to have worked well. Reboot
  • Now Grub worked and showed the newly installed 9.10.1. After waiting or manually selecting that, the screen went black immediately - and as far as I can tell it did not boot up.
  • Doing what romracer suggested fixed that. (At least until next reboot :-/ )
Thanks - Max

Last edited:

chris1664

Cadet
Yes I had exactly what you had no boot with the black screen luckily for me I was setting up a new nas so just wiped and went back to 9.3 hopefully as romracer said the 9.10.1 u1 update will fix this if not I'm waiting for 9.10.2 I would keep a eye on this post see if it gets fixed

Hope you don't need to reboot any time soon

Michael De Cou

Explorer
Ok, I am a bit confused. I have the same issue as noted above, where I cannot see any terminal messages beyond POST. If it edit the GRUB settings and set the KERNVT to "vt", I can see the terminal output until next reboot.

In the latest update to FreeNAS-9.10.1-U1 (ff51a5d), I was hoping something would be fixed with this. Have I missed something?
Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.