Booting Hangs at EFI Console

tgipson

Cadet
Hello,

I am having issues with 3 systems that are running TrueNAS 12. They have been in for about 6-8 months running fine without issues until we did some maintenance on the power systems in the building. The 3 systems were shutdown and unplugged during the maintenance. Upon bringing up the machines after the maintenance window, the systems all hung just below the EFI Console line.

Per the Discord chat the details of the systems are:

Supermicro X10DRH systems. Bios Version 3.0a
Dual Xenon 2620 V4 Processors
32GB Per Processor @2134 MT/s
Dual Seagate ST1000NX0313 2.5MM 1TB Drives in a raid 1 (zfs) configuration for TrueNAS Installation booting UEFI
16 Ten TB WD Gold or HGST RaidZ2 Single Pool. These are in JBOD mode from the LSI AVAGO Mega-Raid controller FW Version 6.36.00.2
Dual 10 GB NICs in an LACP Bond

I installed TrueNAS 12 some time ago. I updated via the webgui to 12.0u3 and thats where it has been running for several months. I have tried to rerun the installer and change to BIOS mode. I did upgrade it to 12.0u8.1. The first upgrade failed stating: mount_msdosfs: /dev/ada1p1 No such file or directory. I reran the installer and changed to BIOS (formating the bootloader) and back to UEFI as it gave the error This is a freenas data disk and cannot boot system. System Halted. Which is where I stopped. I am not seeing any errors or warning in the Supermicro BIOS for any of the hardware, including hard drives.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
These are in JBOD mode from the LSI AVAGO Mega-Raid controller FW Version 6.36.00.2

This may not be the cause of your stall, but this is dangerous and not expected to work. Please see

It is likely to eventually lead to corruption.

tgipson

Cadet
This may not be the cause of your stall, but this is dangerous and not expected to work. Please see

It is likely to eventually lead to corruption.

Thanks for that link. I will see if I can get it flashed. Due to the shear amount of data on those disks, will changing to IT/IR modes wipe the data? Between the 3 servers, we are talking 400+ TB raw.