SCALE 21.08-BETA.1 Released!

Kasazn

Explorer
Hi all.

I am on the nightly train (TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-MASTER-20210831-232919). I downloaded the latest 21.08-BETA, extracted the update file and tried to update but it failed.

EDIT: I was previously on a build lower than the current BETA 1 but still failed to update.

I was wondering if the system backup includes my VMs? If I cannot migrate to Beta channel I might as well just clean wipe and import my pools.

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 382, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 418, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1239, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 412, in file
    await self.middleware.call('update.install_manual_impl', job, destfile, dest_extracted)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1307, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1275, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1179, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 23, in install_manual_impl
    self._install(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 41, in _install
    raise CallError(f'Unable to downgrade from {old_version} to {new_version}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from 21.08-MASTER-20210831-232919 to 21.08-BETA.1

Last edited:

LePousson

Dabbler
Hi guys !

Just jumped into TrueNAS and especially the SCALE 21.08 version, which I'm pretty satisfied with ...

I just wanted to know if there is a way to get a "personalized prompt" for console, something like : "user@host: # " (user@host in yellow)

As I do not want to do something stupid and wrong, if someone can tell me where and how I may do this, I'd really appreciate ;)

LePousson

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi guys !

Just jumped into TrueNAS and especially the SCALE 21.08 version, which I'm pretty satisfied with ...

I just wanted to know if there is a way to get a "personalized prompt" for console, something like : "user@host: # " (user@host in yellow)

As I do not want to do something stupid and wrong, if someone can tell me where and how I may do this, I'd really appreciate ;)

Glad you like it, but I don't think there is a way to do what you asked.
If you describe why you need it, then people may have an alternative to achieve your goals.

LePousson

Dabbler
I'd like a new prompt, as it is possible on Debian or Ubuntu, cause the current one looks like a bit sad and is not very clear ...

But if it is not possible, too bad but i'll have to deal with it :(

Ixian

Patron
I'd like a new prompt, as it is possible on Debian or Ubuntu, cause the current one looks like a bit sad and is not very clear ...

Why can't you just use a .bashrc file and make changes as you please for your user? Shells work the same on SCALE as any other Debian distro/derived distro.

LePousson

Dabbler
Why can't you just use a .bashrc file and make changes as you please for your user? Shells work the same on SCALE as any other Debian distro/derived distro.
As I'm pretty new to TrueNAS, I wasn't sure that using a .bashrc would work or not. I just wanted to avoid making any mistake and to be sure that I would not crash anything. But if you tell me that it will work as any Debian system, then I'll give it a try tomorrow ;)

Thanks for the reply !

Ixian

Patron
As I'm pretty new to TrueNAS, I wasn't sure that using a .bashrc would work or not. I just wanted to avoid making any mistake and to be sure that I would not crash anything. But if you tell me that it will work as any Debian system, then I'll give it a try tomorrow ;)

Thanks for the reply !

Your home directory lives outside the boot pool and this kind of mod overall has no effect on the TrueNAS middleware. Where you'd potentially get in to trouble is if you tried to install packages, change grub, fstab, etc. outside of TrueNAS - things the middleware does deal with.

LePousson

Dabbler
I just changed the bashrc and I have the prompt I like ... Thanks for your help !!

PS: Yes I saw a warning message telling that no "wild update" should be done outside the WebUI :D

overeat

Dabbler

TrueNas uses zsh by default. You can change your shell to bash in "Credentials > Local Users > Edit User" then change Shell from zsh to bash.

Then your .bashrc will work.

Otherwise you could just customize zsh if you prefer to use that shell.

I got confused by this one as well, but it's a fairly simple fix.

LePousson

Dabbler
@j0rd thanks for your reply !! It's been a while since I did not put my hand in "pure Debian" bash scripts/files (I was using an Ubuntu tiny box until then) so I kinda forgot to switch the shell in the user settings so that's why the prompt was not properly applied (logical looool)

mkirchner

Cadet
Has anyone done a fresh install on this beta? I have three installs and none will pull an IP address to configure via GUI and the CLI is useless for statically assigning IPs to any interface.

ClaesBas

Cadet
Has anyone done a fresh install on this beta? I have three installs and none will pull an IP address to configure via GUI and the CLI is useless for statically assigning IPs to any interface.
Same for me, when I played with it at home on a HP 380e G8, yesterday night!

I didn't manage to get the network to come up through the "CLI-thing", had to do it the "Debian way" in /etc/network/interfaces ...

Code:
auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static
    address 172..../24
    gateway 172.....

I've not removed the above config yet, which after some fiddling with the Web-UI gives me two IP's (one from "Debian" and one from Truenas) for my connected interface.

Some other things...

When I've have 192GB RAM, I didn't created any Swap on my two boot SSD's, but got Swap on my "data-pool"... I thought ZFS was working best with access to the whole disk!?

I could also find "help-links" in the Web-UI, linking to man pages at FreeBSD instead of Debian, ex. in "help" for Edit Interface under Network (have following link: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ifconfig)

Anyways, this is an interesting thing to play with (in the future).
Keep up the good work!

ClaesBas

Cadet
Another thought, is it not possible/better to have the swap inside of a pool instead of a partition (if possible)?

Floppy35

Cadet

I did a fresh install over the weekend and it pulled multiple ip addresses via DHCP. I then used the GUI to set the adapters to static addresses and built my vlans etc.

ClaesBas

Cadet
@mkirchner, did you also had more than one interface?
My server has four, with the HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331FLR Adapter (Broadcom BCM5719 I think).
Looks like my hp proliant 380e g8 has: Intel I350 gigabit interfaces (that's what lspci says).

Last edited:

LePousson

Dabbler
Hey guys !

If I understood well, Cloud Backup will copy ALL the files every time the backup task runs ...

Is it possible that the Cloud Backup would copy only the new or changed files from source to destination ?

Thanks for the replies ...

LePousson

Floppy35

Cadet
Just FYI: My install was on a server with 6 network interfaces. They all can get address via DHCP but I grouped them into 2 logical interfaces with multiple adapters. Then I assigned multiple aliases or addresses on different vlans.

vampyren

Dabbler
TrueNAS SCALE documentation is improving and its where we need to be for BETA. The team is mostly focussed on quality testing to get to RC and then RELEASE. Documentation will also improve as we get there.

Does anyone prefer good documentation and buggy software?
As a project manager i know that devs prefer to code but i would say code + doc need to go hand in hand. You dont want users to report faulty report due to bad document and increase your teams work either dont you?

Any how i'm glad to say that the VM works so so much better now. Not sure if its stable yet (just installed win10) but its far better then it was on the previous beta. So this is a huge step forward.
I still see one device not identified so not sure what to do about this yet either, any tips is appreciated.
1631350403243.png

vampyren

Dabbler
As a project manager i know that devs prefer to code but i would say code + doc need to go hand in hand. You dont want users to report faulty report due to bad document and increase your teams work either dont you?

Any how i'm glad to say that the VM works so so much better now. Not sure if its stable yet (just installed win10) but its far better then it was on the previous beta. So this is a huge step forward.
I still see one device not identified so not sure what to do about this yet either, any tips is appreciated.
View attachment 49329
Ok think i found it, used the image i use for my qnap and it used
1631350693161.png

The image with drivers i get from Index of /groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio

LePousson

Dabbler
Hey ...

All my computers, including Windows, MacOS and Linux machines, can access my TrueNAS SCALE shares.

My BluRay Player, which can access all my other SMB Shares (on Synology & Windows machines), CAN'T see my TrueNAS machine and of course, its shares. Except the SMBv1 (enabled cause the player needs this), is there anything I should check to get this fixed ?

Thanks for the reply !

LePousson