SCALE 20.10 Discussion Thread

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
As announced, SCALE 20.10 is in the wild!

Dev & Tech types, feel free to discuss any feedback or issues here :)

uberiain

Cadet
Hello, I am testing SCALE 20.10-ALPHA.

I have one bond working. Where I put this option xmit_hash_policy layer3+4? If I put this on the GUI, don't apply.

I put this "ip link set dev bond0 type bond xmit_hash_policy layer3+4" on one script at start and work. But I think this must be one option on the interface.

Thanks and regards

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello, I am testing SCALE 20.10-ALPHA.

I have one bond working. Where I put this option xmit_hash_policy layer3+4? If I put this on the GUI, don't apply.

I put this "ip link set dev bond0 type bond xmit_hash_policy layer3+4" on one script at start and work. But I think this must be one option on the interface.

Thanks and regards

I'm not sure we've tested any bond types yet. Can you please make a bug ticket on jira.ixsystems.com and we'll investigate? I suspect it'll need some new code / testing to make it functional in the UI.

KrisBee

Wizard
Been wrestling with SCALE 20.10-ALPHA. Post-install cannot change from DHCP to static IP via GUI, but you can from console setup. Got as far creating bridge (with static IP) on the main NIC (removed static IP) , a vlan on on main NIC and a second bridge on the vlan. Able to create a VM attached or the vlan bridge, whic gets correst IP etc. On reboot the network config is lost! Left with main nic and vlan interfaces, no bridges and of course there's no web access.

FYI: SCALE 20.10-ALPHA us running as a VM under KVM/virt-manager on a Debian buster desktop.

EDIT: After poking around in systemd, a systemctl restart ix-netif.service seems to restore the network config, so I added this as a post-init command as quick hack.

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
@Kris Moore Any plans to make use of vlan aware bridges and/or openvswitch in SCALE and expand network options for the KVM side etc?

KrisBee

Wizard
@waqarahmed At the moment SCALE networking looks limited as bridges must have physical interfaces as members, no way to create a "virtual bridge" or tap devices etc via the UI. For example, how would you create an isolated internal network for VMs? Looks this would only be doable via post-install commands/script.

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
@KrisBee exactly. The idea is quite interesting and it would be great if we take this step by step and file suggestions at jira.ixsystems.com. So this way we can add support for this by implementing the suggestions seeing community interest ; )

sretalla