SC846/X8DT6-F semi dead after flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernhardMM

Cadet
Hi guys,

After a quite short night (2am), I am just now in the process of tearing out the X8DT-6F motherboard from our SC846 chassis and replace it with something I got around here, just to get the storage working for Monday.

I updated the BIOS of this motherboard on Frinday (flashing went just fine), alas, after CTRL-ALT-DEL, the system won't post. It will also issue just one beep when starting up, fans are spinning at high speed and stay there. No VGA output, or power to the keyboard or USB (so also no AMI recovery flash). IPMI module (with an ancient 1.1 FW or something - should have replaced that first) seems to be partially working (DHCP IP is requested, but cannot be reached by ping, HTTP or any IPMI tool).

I have tried unloading/switching RAM (no change), removing all PCI cards (no change), clearing CMOS (after swapping in a new battery, no change), and removing one processor (now system reboots 5sec after powering up), swapping the processors around (now system reboots 5sec after powering up).

I am out of ideas :( Is there any trick I can try to revive the board? I guess there quite a few guys here with the SC846, maybe someone got a similar story...(https://hardforum.com/threads/supermicro-x8dte-f-bios-flash-issue.1761065/ is the only thing I found, but how could a bios upgrade fry 2 CPUs?). Would appreciate any help :)

Cheers,

Bernhard

BernhardMM

Cadet
Well, I ended up getting a used 1CPU Supermicro board for the maximum compatibility, and the storage is up and running, just in time for Monday. Hooray for freenas starting after one boot with all config data intact :)

Still, anxious to see what Supermicro has to say about that

Status
Not open for further replies.