Supermicro X9SRI-F, no hardware monitoring tab in BIOS

IQless

Contributor
I just bought a Supermicro X9SRI-F, but as I try to change the fan settings in bios to stop it from running at full speed, I realize that there are no options named "Hardware Monitoring" in the advanced tab.

I updated the BIOS to R 3.3, but this does not look to solve anything.
Logging in through IPMI under the sensor tab lists all sensors as "N/A".

Does anyone know if there is a setting I have to set to get this option?
Have I missed completely, and there is no such feature for the X9SRI-F board?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

System:
MB: Supermicro X9SRI-F
CPU: Intel E5-1620v2
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB Samsung Registered Memory M393B1G73QH0-CMA)
Case: Supermicro CSE-836

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
One time, I had the IPMI screen (on a X11SSH) tell me "N/A" for every sensor. The problem appears to have been a loose connection on the secondary power connector on the motherboard. The 4 pin thing that is not near the 20 pin thing. Once I unplugged that, and re-plugged that in, all my sensors showed up.

Now, that is just a temporally coincident pair of events, and a couple guys in here, at the time, told me that what I was describing was "impossible". But, I had no other explanation other than that. You might try that.

IQless

Contributor
@Chris Moore, thanks, I will have a look :)

@DrKK that sounds like a typical problem that I would face, problems that should not happen :P I will give it a try when I get home from work. Let's hope that's what's causing the problem.

Am I wrong in assuming that there should be some kind of thermal management in BIOS on the X9 boards? I know there are on my X8, but that might be different I guess.

IQless

Contributor
So, that did not work...
This is what IPMI View shows me:
1548702515841.png

Any other suggestions?

/IQ

IQless

Contributor
AND then... after not working for 3 hours, it just suddenly appaired. Why, and how... I have no idea.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Wow.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Make sure you have the correct BIOS and IPMI for your board installed. Funny things happen if you have the wrong image installed. I've seen cases where someone thought that they could mix and match IPMI for similar boards. It isn't necessarily so.

IQless

Contributor
Make sure you have the correct BIOS and IPMI for your board installed.
I downloaded and updated both the BIOS and IPMI with the latest firmware from Supermicro's site. I could, of course, have done something wrong here. I will double check when I get home from work. Thanks for the advice!

@DrKK, considering nothing had worked for 2 days before I tried reconnecting the power to the motherboard, I so far choose to believe that was what "solved" the problem. +1 for the unknown :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was trying to get you to go to the IPMI web console, not to install the IPMI view software on your computer. There are advantages to both, but the web console is where you can make the changes I was hopeful you would find.
The IPMI feature runs like a separate computer / OS inside the system board that is accessed by the IPMI address either on the webpage it generates or by the IPMI view software. The IPMI operating system must be rebooted, and there is a menu option for that, for some of the changes to take effect. You can actually reboot the IPMI management interface without rebooting the main system.
When you disconnected and reconnected mains power, that rebooted the IPMI system.

IQless

Contributor
@Chris Moore ah, I understand, and thanks for pointing it out.
I did look around the IPMI web console before I downloaded the IPMI view software, the sensors in the web console did also at that time show N/A on everything. I also attempted to restart the BMC from the web console but that also did not work, why It now works, I still don't know.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

IQless

Contributor
Must be some Gandalf piece of thingamajig

I'm sad to say I'm not the kind of computer guy who can dive into why this happened. I don't have time and more importantly, the knowledge to figure this out :P