SOLVED New build on X9SRI-F won't boot. Pulsing power.

BroderLund

Cadet
Hi there.

I'm finally building myself a TrueNAS server, however it won't boot. I only get pulsing fans and a pulsing power light. No display, no PMI, only pulsing power to the fans.

Hardware are as follows:

MB: Supermicro X9SRI-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2
RAM: 4x 8GB Micron SNP96MCTC/8G
Boot SSD: 2x Kingston A400 120GB
HBA: Dell H310 (LSI 9211-8 in IT mode)
HDD 8x WD RED plus 10TB

Troubleshooting so far has been:

• Remove all but one RAM stick
  • Remove HBA
  • Changing CR2032 battery

Any ida how to make it boot so I can install TrueNAS?

Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
How large is your power supply? How is your HBA being fed, power-wise?

BroderLund

Cadet
EVGA 650GQ. 80+ gold 650W. HBA is bus powered. I disconnected it, boot SSD and all but one RAM stick to try getting into BIOS. No success. Same issue.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Have you tried different RAM slots for your single stick? Have you tried different sticks in different slots? At this point, it looks like your board may be DOA.

AlexGG

Contributor
Remove the motherboard, try the same out of the chassis, see if it will maintain fan spin. If yes, look for something in the case shorting over the reverse (bottom) side of the motherboard. Maybe there is an extra metallic screw-in standoff somewhere not aligned to the corresponding hole in the motherboard.

pschatz100

Guru
What bios version do you have on your motherboard? X9SCM-F requires bios rev. 2.0 or above to support E3-1200 v2 CPUs. There is more information about this on the Supermicro site.

BroderLund

Cadet
Update: Turnes out the motherboard was a defect. New motherboard resolved the issue and the server is up and running.

Thanks for the help all!