SM X10SLL-F-O Won't Power On

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickybsd

Cadet
Hi,

I've just got a new SM X10SLL-F-O and a Xeon E3-1200v3 3.10ghz. Both the green and orange LEDs light up fine when the PSU is connected however I cannot power it on. No sign of any fans spinning etc, just nothing.

I've tried another PSU, but the LEDs suggest this is not the issue. Both ATX connectors are connected - and nothing else other than CPU fan. I've also swapped the CMOS battery.

BIOS is the latest version as well - checked via the IPMI, power on in here also fails. I've also tried with the CPU fan on FANA/FAN1 and with a single RAM module rather than 4 etc.

Does this sound like a dead board? I sadly don't have another CPU to test - is it worth me finding something cheap or should I just return the board?

Thanks for any help.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The last time someone reported this type of problem, it was due to trying to use registered ECC memory instead of the correct unbuffered type.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What does IPMI have to say?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
That is labeled as registered. I guess I screwed up with that? Should I at least get an error beep with no sticks inserted?
The thread I recall said the motherboard just acted dead. Several motherboards, actually. When compatible unbuffered ECC was installed, they were fine.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hmm interesting thanks the RAM i'm using is, Samsung 12800R DDR3 1600MHz 4x8gb modules. This one: http://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ram/ddr3-registered-dimm/M393B1G70BH0?ia=2506

That is labeled as registered. I guess I screwed up with that? Should I at least get an error beep with no sticks inserted?
No, you will not get any kind of error, it just won't work. That is definitely the wrong memory. Sorry.
Can you send it back?
I received the wrong kind from a vendor once and they were happy to exchange it for me.

rickybsd

Cadet
Thanks a lot for clarifying, I should have done better research. It was an ebay purchase so I'll resell it and get the correct type. I thought the 32gb ECC seemed like a good price!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks a lot for clarifying, I should have done better research. It was an ebay purchase so I'll resell it and get the correct type. I thought the 32gb ECC seemed like a good price!
Yes, registered memory is usually less because of the higher supply and lower demand.

rickybsd

Cadet
Hi all, thanks again for the help. I've now fitted some new RAM, SK Hynix 8GB PC3L-12800E DDR3-1600 1600MHz ECC Unbuffered and I still get no response from the board. I've tried two sticks in both DIMMA1/2 and just a single stick.

I've verified the PSU is fine and as discussed IPMI is working. Shorting the power/on switch to verify the case switch is ok gets the same result.

I've tried reseating the CPU (XEON E3 1220v3 MALAY) with no success.

Any thoughts on if there's anything else I can try to diagnose? It is a second hand CPU but new board, not sure which to send back as faulty :(

Thanks again.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That system board has a built in speaker. With the memory all removed, do you get any beep code?
Can you take a clear photo of the setup and post it?

rickybsd

Cadet
Sure thanks, with no RAM I get nothing from the internal speaker. I know there's no heatsink, but no point until the CPU fan spins up :(

The green light does flash after 2-5 seconds of power connected - which I believe is normal?

https://ibb.co/jhjwfw should be able to click for high res.

EDIT: I'm turning it on shorting the bottom two pins labled PWR ON on the right hand lower jumper set just above the sata ports.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The IPMI log might have relevant information.

rogerh

Guru
How happy are modern CPUs without any external heat spreading? Could some small bit of the die be getting very hot very quickly without a heatsink?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How happy are modern CPUs without any external heat spreading? Could some small bit of the die be getting very hot very quickly without a heatsink?
Not quickly enough to not even start booting.

How happy are modern CPUs without any external heat spreading?

Not happy at all, it will overheat in a matter of seconds, maybe less, and certainly it won't stay on long enough to post, though not sure if the fans should power on for at least a second or so since I never tried it.

rickybsd

Cadet
With the PSU not even spinning up on power-on I don't think any overheating's occurring. Thanks for all the help, I couldn't see anything in the IMPI logs either so I'm going to RMA the board. I'll post back if it turns out the CPU was dead instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.