SOLVED X10SLL-F Post/IPMI/BIOS Are Good, But No Boot At All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Dill

Contributor
This is starting a new fresh from https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10sll-f-no-post-or-vga.39054/#post-241078 as that problem was overcome.

Motherboard: X10SLL-F

MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16 Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB Hynix H5TQ4G83MFR 2 RoHS Low Profile

The processor I purchased is: Intel E3-1220v3 SR154 3.1GHz/8M/5GTs LGA1150 Xeon 80W CPU Processor

IPMI works great, system POST just fine. It identifies the CPU, CPU features, RAM, etc. No matter what I do, the system will not go past POST. I tried booting from a USB on the MOBO, and it gave me black screen with bliinking cursor. So I read every thread in here about it... web out, got a USB 2.0 device, no dice. Burned a DVD, and put the ISO on it, no dice. Put in a Windows DVD, same symptom. No matter what I do, it goes to same point and stops.

Now the PSU does provide power to mobo, case, fans etc- but it is a Corsair TX850M and the fan does no spin up- I believe it only spins up when it reaches load, which it is not. I have checked power output and we are good to go.

Any ideas on this one? Not FreeNAS or USB specific, perhaps BIOS or hardware specific?

Chris Dill

Contributor
Went through troubleshooting steps today, disconnected everything, factory reset everything, switched RAM, etc- all produced same results. After post it hangs with a blinking cursor.

Babbage

Dabbler
Can you get into the BIOS? Does it see your boot devices? Boot Order set?
Is a newer BIOS available for your motherboard?
Turn off devices you aren't using.

Just some suggestions

Chris Dill

Contributor
Yes, I have full BIOS access. It does see my boot devices, and lists them by name such as PATRIOT USB. This is the newest BIOS available, only a few months old. And everything is turned off, like serial ports and Intel VT, etc. I have actually RMA'd the motherboard in hopes that it is the mobo and not the CPU.

Babbage

Dabbler
Can you hit F8 or F12 at POST to get the boot list on screen?
keyboard warnings, halt on warning turned on?
Sounds like the board may be bad. I've used some of those 1150 Supermicro boards without issue.
Did you try a different PSU?

Chris Dill

Contributor
I can hit Del, F8, F11 to get to boot options, and I can select a boot device. Halt on warnings is turned on. PSU works as far as I can tell, powers everything on- lights and board comes up. Voltages are good- sensors are all green in IPMI. At this point I think it has to be either mobo or CPU, but cannot say for certain as I do not have alternatives to test with.

Fuganater

Patron
Run MEMTEST and a CPU Test via a bootable flashdrive.

Chris Dill

Contributor
Nothing can boot! I cannot boot from any sort of DVD or USB or even a HDD- as soon as it gets to where it should begin the boot process, it black screens with blinking cursor.

Babbage

Dabbler
I can hit Del, F8, F11 to get to boot options, and I can select a boot device. Halt on warnings is turned on. PSU works as far as I can tell, powers everything on- lights and board comes up. Voltages are good- sensors are all green in IPMI. At this point I think it has to be either mobo or CPU, but cannot say for certain as I do not have alternatives to test with.

Try to switch the PSU, or use the other PSU 4 port power connector, some PSU's have (2) in addition to the main 20+4 connectors.
..and turn off halt on warnings. (I doubt this will help, but since you are experiencing a 'halt')

Fuganater

Patron
RMA the board. You should not be having this many issues.

Chris Dill

Contributor
It was the board, good call. I ordered a new one overnight from Newegg and it chirped right up, running stable now. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.