SOLVED Motherboard LEDs look OK but computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilepton

Dabbler
This is my first build using X10SLL-F-O and Pentium G3220. I plugged everything in and when I turn on the power supply, I see a solid orange LED and a blinking green LED on the motherboard. According to the manual, both are indicating normal status (AC power is connected and BMC Heartbeat respectively). Now if I try to turn on the power switch on the case, nothing happens.

I removed all peripherals, USB and fan connectors, RAM and hard drives and still not turning on. I even took it out of the case to rule out shorting, removed the CPU 4pin connector leaving only the CPU, CPU fan, and 24pin connector. I tried to power it on using a screwdriver to short the power headers. Still, it doesn't turn on but the LEDs are still on.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What's the IPMI say? Does it turn on via IPMI or report anything interesting in the SEL?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Definitely this is odd. The only things that would cause this:
1) Improperly seated CPU
2) Bad motherboard
3) Bad memory/incompatible memory/non ECC memory
4) Voltage supplied out of range.

I'm putting my money on #3. Tell us the precise part/model you used for memory?

I would try pulling the ram and see if it beeps, or put 1 stick of ram in the first slot and go from there. then id reseat the CPU, verify all cables are plugged all the way in, i would deff test it all "out of the box"

trilepton

Dabbler
The RAM I used is just one stick Crucial 8GB Single DDR3L 1600MT/s PC3-12800 DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT102472BD160B. Darren, I did try booting outside the case without RAM (or pretty much anything else except CPU, CPU fan, and 24pin connector attached). I didn't hear any beeps so I don't think RAM is the issue. I also tried the paperclip test on the PSU (Corsair CX430) and it works. I was very diligent about seating the CPU and orienting the notches. The tab on the 24pin connector doesn't quite lock onto the bit on the motherboard but I can't really push the plug any harder without damaging something plus since I'm seeing the LEDs I don't think there is an issue with this connection. I'm thinking the problem is with the motherboard.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Note that the IPMI has some LEDs associated to it, that fire up as soon as the PSU goes live, regardless of CPU/RAM/etc.

But I see what your problem is...possibly.

The supermicro X10 manual clearly states that the minimal memory configuration involves 2 sticks. I took them at their word on that, and never tried one...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Note that the IPMI has some LEDs associated to it, that fire up as soon as the PSU goes live, regardless of CPU/RAM/etc.

But I see what your problem is...possibly.

The supermicro X10 manual clearly states that the minimal memory configuration involves 2 sticks. I took them at their word on that, and never tried one...

If that's the problem, it's the single craziest memory problem I've seen in my life. Sure, 2 DIMMs are recommended, for performance reasons, but not booting with just one?

Silly question (only because it's happened to me): Is the CPU power connector plugged-in? It's not optional. No point in trying without any RAM installed, either.

Z300M

Guru
The RAM I used is just one stick Crucial 8GB Single DDR3L 1600MT/s PC3-12800 DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT102472BD160B. Darren, I did try booting outside the case without RAM (or pretty much anything else except CPU, CPU fan, and 24pin connector attached). I didn't hear any beeps so I don't think RAM is the issue. I also tried the paperclip test on the PSU (Corsair CX430) and it works. I was very diligent about seating the CPU and orienting the notches. The tab on the 24pin connector doesn't quite lock onto the bit on the motherboard but I can't really push the plug any harder without damaging something plus since I'm seeing the LEDs I don't think there is an issue with this connection. I'm thinking the problem is with the motherboard.
Have you tried the RAM module in a different slot?

If you can't seat the 24-pin connector fully, that may mean that some crucial connection is not being made, even if the LEDs do illuminate.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If that's the problem, it's the single craziest memory problem I've seen in my life. Sure, 2 DIMMs are recommended, for performance reasons, but not booting with just one?

Silly question (only because it's happened to me): Is the CPU power connector plugged-in? It's not optional. No point in trying without any RAM installed, either.
Eric, I'm with you. It would be insane to *require* 2-dimms on the motherboard. But it's printed, in black and white, in the motherboard manual, that all memory configurations have 2 or 4 dimms in the slots. Never one. This is true for all the various flavors of the X10, as I peruse the manuals.
It says clearly, one dimm per channel, two channels, is the minimal configuration.

Also, I have built several systems with this exact motherboard, this exact CPU, and so on, and I've not had a problem, and on TOP of it, the type of issue he's seeing is precisely what you'd expect if something about the RAM were not right.

My next step would be to call SuperMicro. They actually do answer the phone; at worst, they have one of their engineers call you back.

trilepton

Dabbler
One thing I didn't notice before is that the PSU fan doesn't spin when hooked up to the motherboard (it was mounted in the case, so I didn't see it). I also called Supermicro and they confirmed that I should be able to boot up with ONE stick of RAM. They also state that I should be hearing error beep codes when RAM is absent (which I didn't) so clearly this isn't a RAM issue.

I attempted reseating the CPU, resetting the CMOS, and even got the 24pin connector plugged in all the way. Still same results. And none of the ethernet LEDs on the back light up. Of course, this isn't surprising now that I learned the PSU is not being activated. Given that I can get the PSU to work with a paper clip, I don't see any other explanations than that the motherboard is bad.

Any suggestions other than RMA the motherboard?

if you turn it on with no RAM does it beep? if it doesnt beep with no RAM i'd point to the CPU as an issue, i would reseat and repaste the CPU and then try it without RAM again and with 1 stick. But it SHOULD beep if theres no RAM.

Do you have a known good and functional powersupply you can switch out to verify its either the psu or motherboard ?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The paperclip test doesn't test under load. So it's hard to rule out the PSU.

BY *FAR* the most common piece of hardware to be bad is the PSU, especially when put under load the first time. My first step--given that the supermicro guys say 1-stick should work--would be to use the PSU in a known-good computer to rule out a PSU problem.

DJ9

Contributor
I see you mentioned hooking up the 24-pin power connector, but did you also hook up the 4-pin one between the Fan4 and Com2 connectors?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Out of curiosity, did you wire up the MB PWR ON pins to the case switch properly? Have you tried to temporarily short the PWR ON pins on the MB to see if that turns on the system? You could have a bad switch on the case you know. If you do, swap it with the reset switch (assuming you have one) for now.

trilepton

Dabbler
I see you mentioned hooking up the 24-pin power connector, but did you also hook up the 4-pin one between the Fan4 and Com2 connectors?
Yes, I did connect the 4-pin CPU power connector.

if you turn it on with no RAM does it beep? if it doesnt beep with no RAM i'd point to the CPU as an issue, i would reseat and repaste the CPU and then try it without RAM again and with 1 stick. But it SHOULD beep if theres no RAM.

Do you have a known good and functional powersupply you can switch out to verify its either the psu or motherboard ?

I opened up a working computer and hooked up its power supply to the motherboard (24pin and 4pin). Still no change. No beep codes, just the LEDs light up. The CPU is seated properly. I don't see any bent pins, notches align with the small protruding points on either side, and CPU is seating flush. I don't have thermal paste to reapply but I don't see how that would prevent booting.

Out of curiosity, did you wire up the MB PWR ON pins to the case switch properly? Have you tried to temporarily short the PWR ON pins on the MB to see if that turns on the system? You could have a bad switch on the case you know. If you do, swap it with the reset switch (assuming you have one) for now.

I tried both the PWR and RESET switches. As I mentioned previously, I even shorted the pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver. Same result in all cases.

I still think the motherboard is the problem, given that a working power supply is not able to power the system.

Yea motherboard it is, i would send it back. Now depending when you purchased it (within 30 days) send it back to where it came from I.E newegg,amazon,tigerdirect, etc. otherwise RMA it to SuperMicro, now the other option is you could get a advanced RMA, where you give them a credit card to put on file and they send you a new board first and then you return the old one.

Disclaimer, i know ASUS and some other companies do the adv RMA, i am NOT sure if supermicro does it...but i dont see why they wouldnt...

joeschmuck

Old Man
Based on your last post it definitely appears to be the MB. Before you return it, ensure the CPU socket has it's cover installed, the one the MB came with. Sometimes your MB will be rejected if that little cover isn't installed, or so I've been told.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Based on your last post it definitely appears to be the MB. Before you return it, ensure the CPU socket has it's cover installed, the one the MB came with. Sometimes your MB will be rejected if that little cover isn't installed, or so I've been told.

Yeah, the pins get damaged very easily. Intel felt like moving the risk for shipping damage over to motherboard manufacturers and people went along.

trilepton

Dabbler
I'll start the RMA process soon. Yes, SuperMicro does have advanced RMA although I'll probably stick to sending it in first. Thanks for the support. My first build experience is turning out to be more involved than I expected.:)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'll start the RMA process soon. Yes, SuperMicro does have advanced RMA although I'll probably stick to sending it in first. Thanks for the support. My first build experience is turning out to be more involved than I expected.:)

The first one always is. BUT, it looks like you're doing the right thing. You aren't buying inappropriate hardware and you're taking our advice. I have no doubt that once its built you'll get many years of satisfaction from this server.

Status
Not open for further replies.