SuperMicro X10SL7-F - new build - wont boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

I have the X10SL7-F which came today with the Xeon E3-1231V3 & 32 GB of Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B.

I have the SeaSonic 650 PSU. All I have is the ram, processor, and PSU installed in a temp case I am using. When I plug it in, I am able to access the web admin. If i power up the unit it starts, fans spin, and about 15 seconds later it powers down, the starts up again, over & over etc.

The LE6 light is red which doesnt seem good. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

I figured with ram, cpu and mobo it should boot OK. My plan was to leave Memtest running overnight - as i cant get the thing booted, who knows.

The log for the IPMI said something about fan 3 being too slow (nothing is plugged into fan 3, only fan 1 - which does start during the 15 second boot attempt.

The monitor is not showing any video either - not even standby when plugged in. Strange!

JDCynical

Contributor
The LE6 light is red which doesnt seem good. Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Manual for that board says:

LE6 Power Status LED-
Red: PWR Fail
Yellow: Standby PWR Active
Green: PWR On Normal

Tried running it outside of the case to make sure something isn't being grounded by accident?

Fuganater

Patron
Tried running it outside of the case to make sure something isn't being grounded by accident?
This. Put the mobo on the box it came in, hook up power and try to boot it.

RichTJ99

Patron
I popped it out of the case, put it on a plastic lid I have sitting around. Just Mobo, Ram, CPU & PSU. I jump the power:

PSU 1 (seasonic) - Power plugged in, not turned on - LED amber - jump power - LED goes red, unit powers on, fan starts turns on for 5 seconds, shuts off for 5 seconds, turns on for 5 seconds, rinse/repeat.
PSU 2 (brandx) - Power plugged in, not turned on - LED amber - jump power - LED goes red, nothing happens at all.

Guess the board is dead?

I am using the stock Xeon fan for the unit which just pushes on - could the CPU be heating up and shutting the board down?

Attachments

• 2015-12-10 08.56.05.jpg
    2015-12-10 08.56.05.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 269

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Can you explain what "jump power" is please? because if you put a jumper on the power switch pin header it's maybe why you have this problem, it should be only a momentary connection.

Can't be the CPU overheating, the cycling is way too fast.

RichTJ99

Patron
With a further review I found this in the log - note the date.

1 2015/08/18 05:18:05 FAN3 Fan Lower Critical - Going Low - Assertion
2 2015/08/18 05:18:05 FAN3 Fan Lower Non-Recoverable - Going Low - Assertion

Please note the date. I think that Newegg sent me someone elses return. Very disappointed. I hope the other parts of the build are OK.

I sent the unit back for an RMA refund and ordered from Provantage. I am hopeful this works out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.