X9SRI-F Problems setting bios ipmi ip and logging in

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think you need to sit back, drop all your preconceived notions, and start fresh. You're either not listening or not comprehending. Either is fine, one of them we can fix, and people here are generally happy to do so if you want.

The IPMI system is an almost entirely independent miniature embedded computer that lives on your system mainboard. It is something that is approximately like a low-end Raspberry Pi, in that it has a network port, can speak IP, and can do some nifty tricks.

Because typical desktop boards and gamer boards do not have this, they typically make some halfarse arrangement for the host CPU to be able to monitor and control things like fan speeds, power supply voltages, etc. , or, worse, they make you buy "fan controller" modules or crap like that.

By way of comparison, the IPMI subsystem is not closely tied to the system mainboard, despite living on the system mainboard. The host system does have a communications channel it can use to talk to the IPMI subsystem, which is how tools like "ipmitool" work on a local host. I previously suggested you try to use "ipmitool" locally to check out what the settings were, because this is generally effective at resetting IP's, passwords, etc., on the IPMI system.

The IPMI system also has a dedicated LAN port, which in some cases may instead optionally be configured to be a shared port with the host. This is somewhat harder to leverage, but I suggested configuring a PC or laptop on the network that is being shown to you in the static IP displayed in the BIOS. You haven't indicated what this is, and there are potentially some addresses which won't be usable if you do that.

The IPMI is basically a parasite on the main system and has its tendrils going into many things, and has direct access and control over things like the host console, the fans, power supply readings, ability to overwrite the BIOS, etc. It is very powerful for the various things it is able to do.

You can access the IPMI in various ways over the network, including using the dedicated IPMI protocol, or using the HTTP/HTTPS webserver. In order to do that, you need to be able to set up a PC or laptop on the same network as the IPMI, and then you should be able to connect to the IPMI controller.

However, it is entirely possible that the IPMI has some sort of broken static IP configuration, in which case you are best off loading a copy of TrueNAS, FreeBSD, or Linux on the server, and using the local ipmitool or ipmicfg tools to reset the BMC to default, or setting it via the host BIOS interface. That's described on page 2-3 of the manual:

We're all very familiar with the Supermicro IPMI systems here, everybody that has answered you so far is at least "expert hobbyist". I work with this stuff professionally and still actively manage racksful of X9 systems. So what you really need to do is to just put the brakes on and see if you can latch on and provide some detailed feedback. We can get you straightened out.

1) Try loading TrueNAS, or FreeBSD, or Linux, or Windows, or any convenient OS on the host system. Use that to install either impitool (a generic tool) or ipmicfg (Supermicro's tool). Some commands for ipmicfg are listed starting on page 2-4 of the manual above. Start simple and see if you can get the IPMI to regurgitate something simple like the network configuration. You can move on from there to actually setting variables. Expect to be frustrated numerous times, take small steps, and experiment only with the obvious stuff, but you should be able to both configure IP and clear any existing user password. Tell us which thing you end up using and we can probably give you more specific guidance.

<<<or>>>

2) Try connecting a PC or laptop to the IPMI port, configuring the PC/laptop to be on the same network that the IPMI alleges to be on. This implies you need to set a static IP address on the PC/laptop. Ping that address. If it does not ping, move the PC connection to each of the host ports and try again. I don't recall which one the IPMI system uses in shared mode offhand.

Report back with more details about what worked and what didn't.

serverguy

Dabbler
Hello Jailer
The board is hooked directly via cat5 cable to another computer. The bios has the ip set to static and I can't change it. So the option of letting the DHCP pick the address is not there. I can see the station ip address in bios but can't access it to change it. I put that address into my browser and push enter and there is no reply. I am using win10 microsoft edge browser. The password prompt does not appear. So if you know what I'm doing wrong or have other suggestions please tell me. This board is new old stock. So no passwords have been changed and all jumpers are default.
thanks

Jgreco here is the net config

BMC Network Configuration

LAN Channel 1
IPMI Lan Selection [Share LAN]
IPMI Network Link Status: No Connect
Update IPMI Lan Configuration [No]
Configuration Address Source [Static]
Station IP Address 010.251.098.185
Subnet Mask 255.255.248.000
Station MAC Address 0c-c4-7a-o5-47-dd
Gateway IP Address 010.251.103.254

I have input both ip address's with no reply.
Bios won't let me change anything. I set the above to yes and reboot. Always sets back to no ?!??!?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The BIOS screen is saying that the IPMI is trying to use the shared LAN port. I don't recall if this is ethernet 0 or ethernet 1 offhand. It's just easiest for you to try hooking up to ethernet 0, rebooting, going back into the BIOS, and seeing if the network link status changes to "Connected". If not, do the same thing with ethernet 1, and it should be that port.

Did you try setting "Update IPMI Lan Configuration" to "Yes"? This should unlock the IP address fields, and also let you change from Static to DHCP if that would be preferable. After you do that, and make your changes, you then need to make sure that you SAVE the BIOS configuration, and then reboot. If you do not save the configuration, I'm pretty sure it doesn't take effect -- if this is really a problem, I can toss an X9 on the bench later and find out. These are things where most people familiar with IPMI just follow a by-rote set of steps, and I actually don't recall the edge cases.

Redcoat

MVP
Did you try setting "Update IPMI Lan Configuration" to "Yes"?
Does one not have to Save, then reboot after setting that, and the ability to change the IPMI config in the BIOS is then available?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Does one not have to Save, then reboot after setting that, and the ability to change the IPMI config in the BIOS is then available?

No. The "Update LAN" field is always set to No upon entry into BIOS Setup. I believe it is primarily there to protect against inadvertent changes to a critical bit of the system. If you are in a datacenter and you fat finger some incorrect IPMI setting while logged in over the IPMI, and don't notice, you probably have to roll a crash cart out to the server to fix it manually. This is worse in many cases because oftentimes the ops staff is not adjacent to the server; I manage many servers thousands of miles away, for example..

Redcoat

MVP

serverguy

Dabbler
YES I have changed that setting to YES many times till I'm blue in the face and rebooted. Always comes back to NO

jgreco

Resident Grinch
YES I have changed that setting to YES many times till I'm blue in the face and rebooted. Always comes back to NO

That's exactly what it's supposed to do. When you set it to YES, it temporarily allows you to make changes to the fields below. So, for example, you set it to YES, and you can go one field down and suddenly you can CHANGE "Static" to "DHCP". All the remaining fields are locked out for DHCP, I expect. For "Static", you can go down and change the IP/netmask/gateway settings. You do NOT reboot after setting it to YES. You reboot after setting it to yes AND THEN AFTER MAKING YOUR DESIRED CHANGES AND SAVING THEM.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The board is hooked directly via cat5 cable to another computer
Is this a crossover cable? If not that's not going to work.

My experience with Supermicro boards is a total of 2 but I've never had to go into the BIOS to set an IP address for either one of them. I would suggest if nothing else works that you reset the BIOS to factory defaults and hook the IPMI LAN port to your network, NOT directly to another computer, and see if it picks up an IP address from your router.

That's my $.02 for whatever its worth.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Guys, could we please avoid interjecting derailing comments here please.

Is this a crossover cable? If not that's not going to work.

Not true, we already established that the shared port was configured, and gigE definitely supports auto MDI/MDIX.

And, incorrect.

So, please, if you're not following along, please, this is already hard enough for the poster to be working through.

serverguy

Dabbler
Ok jgreco I just tried changing the BMC addresses. After setting it to yes, no matter what I try to do it goes back to no.
If I try to go down to static it changes to no. If I push enter it goes back to no. It's not going to let me change anything.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Then I suggest moving on to one of the other suggestions here, namely:

1) Load FreeNAS, FreeBSD, Linux, or Windows on the PC. Load up ipmitool or ipmicfg and use that to configure the IPMI subsystem,

<<<or>>>

2) Manually configure a PC/laptop to 10.251.098.10 mask 255.255.248.0, connect an ethernet cable to the ethernet 0 or ethernet 1 port, whichever makes the IPMI subsystem available, and go to http://10.251.098.185

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Ok jgreco I just tried changing the BMC addresses. After setting it to yes, no matter what I try to do it goes back to no.
If I try to go down to static it changes to no. If I push enter it goes back to no. It's not going to let me change anything.
PLEASE describe step-by-step what you are doing. Without that information we cannot help.

serverguy

Dabbler
ChrisRJ I am trying several ways to try to communicate with this board.
linux: IPMITOOL
win10: IPMICFG and IPMIVIEW
Also direct with browser

ChrisRJ

Wizard
ChrisRJ I am trying several ways to try to communicate with this board.
linux: IPMITOOL
win10: IPMICFG and IPMIVIEW
Also direct with browser
@serverguy , if that was meant as a reply to me asking for details, we seem to speaking different languages. I don't know how to help, if you do not provide any details.

serverguy

Dabbler
Anyone familiar with IPMIView ?
I tried the search function with the current ip addresses shown in the bios.
I had the hub inline and then not inline.
Nothing found.
Anyone that uses this ap could maybe give me some ideas.
thanks

mystica555

Cadet
serverguy said:

This literally describes my problem with an X9DRT. You go into IPMI settings in the AMI bios. You go down to "Change Network Settings" then you navigate to the "no/yes" prompt. I then select "yes". Enter. 2 fields below become 'changeable' the IP and the subnet mask. nothing else.
ANY attempt to navigate away from the no/yes option causes it to switch back to "no". Arrow up, down, left, right, pgup/pgdn capslock numlock all change the "yes" back to "no" and change the color of the options for IP and subnet mask back to 'config locked' / 'unchangeable' colors.

Does THIS satisfy your needs for "what have you done" @ChrisRJ ? This is the verbose "i tried changing it and i can't". Its literally what @serverguy said. He CANNOT change the settings. I have enumerated every key on the keyboard. Either NO change happens, or "yes" changes to "no" . NO navigation is happening except esc going back to the primary BMC menu in BIOS.
I have video too.

Redcoat

MVP
Change from Failover to Direct first?