sata controller

antonio7319

Contributor
Hi i should increase the sata ports of the nas i have a supermicro x11ssl motherboard
can you recommend a pci express card with sata ports, something else

Ciao dovrei aumentare le porte sata del nas ho una scheda madre supermicro x11ssl
mi sapete consigliare una scheda pci express con porte sata, qualche altra cosa

c77dk

Patron
The best bet might be to get a LSI/Broadcom/Avago HBA - with breakout cables you can connect SATA disks/ssds to them. They're highly tested by the community.

ThreeDee

Guru
oldie but goodie ..the IBM M1015 (LSI9211-8i) .. runs about $25'ish on ebay. Breakout cables are about $7

ThreeDee

Guru
Let TrueNAS do the RAID controlling.. any card you get you'll need to flash to IT mode if it isn't already

ThreeDee

Guru

I plugged my IBM M1015 card into my main rig to crossflash to an LSI9211-8i IT mode .. then installed into my TrueNAS box.. but to each their own :cool:

..and I've never flashed an HBA card before ..so If I can do it .. anybody can. .. google search for "flash M1015 to lsi 9211-8i it mode" and read up on anything you find if you want/need more clarity

you can also find pre-flashed cards as well if you want to pay the extra money for them.

antonio7319

Contributor
Hello sorry if I keep breaking but I'm looking at some solution on the net,
I came across an ebay user Who sells controllers already flashed like this What do you think?

Redcoat

MVP
Art of the Server is well spoken of here in the forums. I have a personal good experience buying the item you identified from him.