SABnzbd won't start after upgrade

ChiknNutz

Patron
I am on 11.2-U8 and just upgraded SAB to the latest, I think it's 3.0 or so. It's been working fine until now. I am unable to see it in a webpage at the web address it has been working on, though FreeNAS reports it as being up and running. I have also noted it will not start from the Jail Shell, so something got hosed during the process.

Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd: WARNING: failed to start sabnzbd

The jail was first created as 11.3-release-p6 quite some time ago. It is not a plugin, but a jail. I have of course stopped, restarted and ultimately restarted the FreeNAS box.

Last edited:

ChiknNutz

Patron
I have been researching this and seems there may be a compatibility issue with Python. Could this be the issue?

As of version 3, SABnzbd only supports Python 3.5 or higher. Python 2 is no longer supported.
For more info see: Python 3 - SABnzbd 3.0.0

ChiknNutz

Patron
Anybody?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you console into the jail and do pkg upgrade (you need to agree to ignore the bad OS version and agree to upgrade pkg itself too), do you see the installation of python 3.x proposed?

ChiknNutz

Patron
No, it doesn't list the python version at all, just says they are all up to date.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What install guide did you use to stand it up?

I followed something like this one (although I will fairly say that it was not this one... I can't find the one I used):

OK, I found it, it's under the unsupported spoiler list:

When I came to update it yesterday, it just proposed installing Python3 as part of the pkg upgrade.

Your best bet may be to install a fresh jail.

Last edited:

horse_porcupine

Dabbler
I am on 11.2-U8 and just upgraded SAB to the latest, I think it's 3.0 or so. It's been working fine until now. I am unable to see it in a webpage at the web address it has been working on, though FreeNAS reports it as being up and running. I have also noted it will not start from the Jail Shell, so something got hosed during the process.

Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sabnzbd: WARNING: failed to start sabnzbd

The jail was first created as 11.3-release-p6 quite some time ago. It is not a plugin, but a jail. I have of course stopped, restarted and ultimately restarted the FreeNAS box.

Hey ChiknNutz, did you ever manage to figure this out? I'm after running across the exact same error after updating the packages in the jail I have sabnzbd installed in. I think you're on the right track with the python version. Is it possible to downgrade this?

horse_porcupine

Dabbler
For anyone else that comes along after me with the same issue, I was able to get this working by uninstalling the latest package and installing the previous version. For me this meant running "pkg delete sabnzbdplus" from within the jail followed by "pkg install sabnzbdplus-2.3.9.txz". The .ini file remained the same, so no harm done and am back to square one :smile:

I was able to find the previously installed package version under "var/cache/pkg". Good luck!

ChiknNutz

Patron
Hey ChiknNutz, did you ever manage to figure this out? I'm after running across the exact same error after updating the packages in the jail I have sabnzbd installed in. I think you're on the right track with the python version. Is it possible to downgrade this?

Sorry for not replying sooner. I did not get it working. I ended up moving to NZBget as an alternative which is working fine so far. Thanks for indicating that you did find how to get it working.

warrenmatty

Dabbler
Update python to 3.7 and install pip-3.7.

# pkg install python3
# pkg install py37-pip
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/python3.7 /usr/local/bin/python
# python --version
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/pip-3.6 /usr/local/bin/pip
# pip --version

# pkg upgrade sabnzbdplus
# reboot jail
# service sabnzbd start

running sabnzbd version 3.0.2 [51cc765] on FreeBSD 12.2 RC3

tgn55

Dabbler
sabnzbd package has been updated, version 3.2.1 now installs fine on FreeNAS.
The python/pip version does NOT solve the problem... it was a broken sabnzbd package, try upgrading again now. Should install 3.2.1

Zboard

Cadet
sabnzbd package has been updated, version 3.2.1 now installs fine on FreeNAS.
The python/pip version does NOT solve the problem... it was a broken sabnzbd package, try upgrading again now. Should install 3.2.1

Installs for me then nothing. How are you installing the program please?

I'm not sure if these are the right steps, but after I did this, 3.0.2 ran within my jail on TrueNAS:
Uninstalled the plug-in for sabnzbd within TrueNAS core (I did a lot of testing before and I wanted to start fresh/clean)
Opened an SSH console to sabnzbd
check if sab really was/was not running by issuing:
Code:
service sabnzbd status

Sure enough, the service was NOT running (just wanted to double check...)
Found some posts online about installing Python and PIP (HERE)
Installed Python by running:
Code:
pkg install python

This installed python-3.8_3,2
Attempted to start the sab service again - no go.
Installed pip:
Code:
pkg install py38-pip

This installed py38-pip-20.3.4
Attempted to start the sab service again - no go.
Installed the older feedparser as advised on the LINK above.
Code:
pip install feedparser==5.2.1

This automatically uninstalled the existing, newer feedparser-6.0.2
Attempted to start the sab service again - this time it worked and stayed on. Refreshed the web browser and I was greeted with the sabnzbd installation wizard. Restarted the plugin/jail and sabnzbd also automagically started, too, but was greeted with:
Access denied - Hostname verification failed: https://sabnzbd.org/hostname-check
For that, I just need to modify the sabnzbd.ini host_whitelist field. Easy enough.

New error but at least sabnzbd 3.0.2 is up again. If tgn55 can share his steps on how he got 3.2.1 running, that'd be great.

hertzsae

Contributor
There's a couple other posts, but there was an issue with incompatibility with feedparser. The issue is resolved by upgrading to 3.2.1 which was upload late last week. When a fix gets uploaded it can take days for it to be compiled and available on ports. If you don't know how to compile yourself, you're basically stuck waiting until your version gets compiled. Anyone running 64 bit on TrueNAS 12 are still waiting. The compiles have finished for all other versions. You can see the status here.

If you want more info, there's at least a couple other threads discussing this. Here and here on this forum and here and here on Sab's forum.

dalepearson

Cadet
Just to confirm my understanding, as I have just done a clean fresh install of TrueNas on my box to start over and now sabnzbd installs and shows service running, but no webui.

TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1
sabnzbd 3.2.1

Need to wait for a further TrueNas update to have this working again?

Zboard

Cadet
Just to confirm my understanding, as I have just done a clean fresh install of TrueNas on my box to start over and now sabnzbd installs and shows service running, but no webui.

TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1
sabnzbd 3.2.1

Need to wait for a further TrueNas update to have this working again?
I am in the middle of doing the same. Hope this is sorted soon. Radarr, lidarr etc is also no working at all

hertzsae

Contributor
There was a problem with sab on version 3.0.2-1, but that was resolved with sab 3.2.1. I created a brand new jail on either Tuesday or Wednesday after that fix went in, install sab from ports and it works as expected.

Any problems with Radarr and Lidarr should be unrelated. Mono is not going to be supported much longer by the radarr team, so you'll need to switch to dotNet soon which unfortunately doesn't have proper BSD support yet. I installed a custom package from TheFrank and Radarr is working well.

I'm running TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 x64 and I'm using manually installed jails, not plugins.

dalepearson

Cadet
There was a problem with sab on version 3.0.2-1, but that was resolved with sab 3.2.1. I created a brand new jail on either Tuesday or Wednesday after that fix went in, install sab from ports and it works as expected.

Any problems with Radarr and Lidarr should be unrelated. Mono is not going to be supported much longer by the radarr team, so you'll need to switch to dotNet soon which unfortunately doesn't have proper BSD support yet. I installed a custom package from TheFrank and Radarr is working well.

I'm running TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 x64 and I'm using manually installed jails, not plugins.
I did the install as new on Thursday 13th May, but was from the plugins screen, so you are saying this wont work even though it installed 3.2.1?
Do I just need to drop to the jail shell and do a package upgrade?

tgn55

Dabbler
Note I am running FreeNAS.. not TrueNAS, so if you are on that platform your mileage may vary. Also, like hertzsae, I am running a manually created jail... not plugins.

After the broken sabnzbd 3.2.1 package was sorted, I simply ran a pkg upgrade sabnzbdplus... but note I had Python 3.8 installed by then.

I did not create a new jail ... continued using my existing jail which hosts plexmediaserver, sonarr/radarr/lidarr ... with a common sabnzbd download client. At some point I did a jail restart... can't recall now exactly at what point in the process, but recommend you try that if you have not yet done so.

Once I got sabnzbd operational again, all my *arr systems worked just fine, as I recall... I did perform updates on some of them using the builtin apps' Update facility, but the crux of the matter (for me) was getting beyond the broken sabnzbd 3.0.2 version which error'ed out on feedparser. After I got 3.2.1 installed, it was all peachy.

For dalepearson and zboard... if you have confirmed the sabnzbd service is running, (eg by running ps aux in the jail, ), check that there is a listener on the correct port (netstat -a). You might want to check your log files if there is still nothing doing...

My system outputs this:
root@plexapps:/ # ps aux
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND
root 90050 0.0 0.0 6428 2516 - IsJ 8May21 0:00.82 /usr/sbin/syslogd -c -ss
media 90099 0.0 3.1 307716 256332 - SsJ 8May21 10:35.57 /usr/local/bin/mono /usr/local/share/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe --data=/config/sonarrdata --n
media 90113 0.0 1.9 184920 160436 - SJ 8May21 29:25.68 /usr/local/bin/python3.8 -OO /usr/local/bin/SABnzbd.py --daemon -f /config/sabnzbddata/s
plex 90129 0.0 2.4 290208 198172 - IsJ 8May21 17:54.78 /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver-plexpass/Plex_Media_Server (Plex Media Server)
media 90138 0.0 3.0 290956 245040 - SsJ 8May21 57:22.84 /usr/local/bin/mono /usr/local/share/Lidarr/Lidarr.exe --data=/config/lidarrdata --nobro
root 90145 0.0 0.0 6460 2340 - IsJ 8May21 0:01.54 /usr/sbin/cron -J 15 -s
plex 90217 0.0 1.4 148508 117588 - INJ 8May21 2:48.70 Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system] /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver-plexpass/Resources/Pl
plex 90241 0.0 0.3 43324 25788 - SJ 8May21 2:02.86 /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver-plexpass/Plex Tuner Service /usr/local/share/plexmedias
media 90345 0.0 3.5 342112 290196 - SJ 8May21 10:27.86 /usr/bin/mono --debug /usr/local/share/Radarr/Radarr.exe /data=/config/radarrdata /nobro
plex 91268 0.0 0.1 9620 5904 - IJ 9May21 0:29.16 Plex EAE Service (EasyAudioEncoder)

I can see the python3.8 process running SABnzbd.py.... if you can't, you have a problem.
And for checking listeners...

root@plexapps:/ # netstat -a | fgrep LISTEN
tcp46 0 0 *.7878 *.* LISTEN
tcp46 0 0 *.8686 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.32600 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.34197 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.32401 *.* LISTEN
tcp46 0 0 *.32400 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.8989 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.8080 *.* LISTEN

where we can see a listener on port 8080, default for sabnzbd. If you can't see this... your webUI will not respond (assuming you are trying to connect to the right port yada yada...)

Hope that helps...
T.

Last edited: