rsync task not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zythyr

Dabbler
I have two freenas servers (SVR1 and SVR2). I am trying to backup all the data from SVR1 to SVR2 using rsync. SVR1 is running freenas v9.2.1.9 and SVR2 is running v.9.3.

The rsync task on SVR2 is not running. When I looked at the error message on the monitor of SVR2, it says the following:

Code:
Jan 28 21:19:10 SVR2 su: _secure_path: /nonexistent/.login_conf is not owned by uid 65534

On SVR1 I created a rsync module the the following configurations:
- Module name: SVR1Backup
- Read only
- user: nobody group: nobody
- Path: /mnt/VOL1

On SVR2 I created a rsync task with the following configuration:
user: nobody
path: /mnt/VOL2/Backups
remote host: SVR1.local
Remote Module name: SVR1Backup
Direction: Pull

SVR1 Config:
Hotename: SVR2.local
Build: FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x86 (2bbba09)
Platform: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Memory: 2017MB
Gigabit Ethernet 192.168.1.110
Hard drive: Seagate 3TB

SVR2 Config
Hotename: SVR2.local
Build: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501212031
Platform: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 6052MB
Gigabit Ethernet 192.168.1.111
Hard drive: Seagate 3TB

I am unsure how to post the dmesg data from each server.
I know that I am able to connect to each server from another computer using CIFS share without any issues and am able to read/write to it.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Give the forum rules a read... there's a reason nobody answered.. you didn't provide anything that is requested when creating a thread.

Zythyr

Dabbler
Give the forum rules a read... there's a reason nobody answered.. you didn't provide anything that is requested when creating a thread.

Sorry. I updated the orginal posted with my server configuration details as requested. Hope this helps.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your system running 9.3 doesn't even meet the minimum requirements (RAM in particular). Stuff just doesn't work right and FreeNAS becomes unstable and erratic. You shouldn't expect much support with troubleshooting the issue until you can actually rule out insufficient hardware as a result.

Zythyr

Dabbler
Your system running 9.3 doesn't even meet the minimum requirements (RAM in particular). Stuff just doesn't work right and FreeNAS becomes unstable and erratic. You shouldn't expect much support with troubleshooting the issue until you can actually rule out insufficient hardware as a result.

My server running v9.3 with 6GB works perfectly fine. I had no issues with anything else. 8GB requirement is for "good performance"....

The rsync issue is clearly not related to hardware... There is something related to permissions I am guessing which I can't figure out. I had "Validate Remote Path" enable on my SVR2 when creating the rsync task. When I have this enable, it won't let me create the task, however with this option disabled, it am able to create the task but rysnc is not running....

I am guessing it has something to do with permissions?

Please help me, don't kick me out of support just because my system doesn't meet "recommended" hardware requirement.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Please help me, don't kick me out of support just because my system doesn't meet "recommended" hardware requirement.

Why the hell do you think we call it the minimum requirements?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We don't kick you out because you ignored our requirements.. but don't be surprised when we ignore you for ignoring us.

Ignoring recommendations/requirements goes both ways.

angelkiller

Cadet
Hi, let me try to help you! I even don't think that main memory has anything to do with your problem. My Freenas is running with 5 GB of memory without any problems.
Now the thing how i fixed the problem. I had the same error message like you "su: _secure_path: /nonexistent/.login_conf is not owned by uid"
Problem was in my situation wrong/different user in modul and task . I' m running freenas 9.3 in active directory environment. My module is now configured as my user that is owner of the zfs dataset and group my ad users group. In the rsync task i set my ad user like the module and owner of the zfs dataset i would like to backup. With this setup it is running and syncing now.

Hope it will help you, even with only 6 G memory or less :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.