Rsync Pull from Windows DeltaCopy to FreeNAS Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zythyr

Dabbler
I am trying to get FreeNAS to PULL data using rsync from a Windows computer that is running DeltaCopy server (rsync). I don't know why, but it is not working. It is not pulling/transferring any data.

It is important I pull from FreeNAS instead of having Windows to push to freenas!

In my FreeNAS, I created a Rsync task and used the following settings:
Remote Host: 192.168.1.149 (ip address of my Windows running DeltaCopy server)
Module Name: TEST
Direction: Pull
Every min/every hour/every day/every month
Yes, I did make sure that Rsync is turned on under Control Services

In my Windows machine, I installed DeltaCopy server, and created a Virtual Directory:
Virtual Directory Name: TEST
Path: c:\users\myusername\Documents

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Pull doesn't do anything except listen on the network port specified... if you want to move the data you have to initiate from Deltacopy... How to do that is anyone's guess since DeltaCopy isn't a FreeBSD app. So you're on your own to read it's documentation for how to do that.

Zythyr

Dabbler
Pull doesn't do anything except listen on the network port specified... if you want to move the data you have to initiate from Deltacopy... How to do that is anyone's guess since DeltaCopy isn't a FreeBSD app. So you're on your own to read it's documentation for how to do that.

@cyberjock,

I got it to work using the PULL method. The issue was that I needed to open the port 873 on my Window's Firewall...

Also, I don't want to be rude, but I think you are wrong about "Pull doesn't do anything except listen on the network...". FreeNAS documentation clearly state Rsync can be used as either to PUSH data or PULL data... http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Rsync_Tasks

Thanks for the help! Love FreeNAS!!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I looked that up an hour later, but I couldn't find this thread. Glad you figured out my mistake and figured out your problem.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have moved to this method for backing up 3 Windows desktops in my house, along with snapshots on the datasets, what a beautiful combo

Sent from my Nexus 5

Zythyr

Dabbler
Yeah, I looked that up an hour later, but I couldn't find this thread. Glad you figured out my mistake and figured out your problem.

Ya, I saw another thread in the forum with similar issues but there was no solution posted... So hopefully others having same issue now should be aware of that the port 873 must be open in Windows.

I have moved to this method for backing up 3 Windows desktops in my house, along with snapshots on the datasets, what a beautiful combo

Would Rsync be the right method or approach to keep all files between multiple computers in sync? Kind of like Dropbox? I want to selectively sync certain folders between computers/freenas server...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I would probably look at BTSync for file syncing like a dropbox alternative.

If you just want to backup your files rsync is awesome

Sent from my Nexus 5

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I do owncloud, and it's literally the exact same thing! I used to use dropbox for alot of stuff, but went to owncloud and haven't looked back.

Zythyr

Dabbler
I would probably look at BTSync for file syncing like a dropbox alternative.

If you just want to backup your files rsync is awesome

Sent from my Nexus 5

1) If I use BTSync, isn't it better to just use BTSync only and not use rsync at all? BTSync on the FreeNAS would have mater copy of all the files/folders while individual laptops/devices would have select files but will sync with FreeNAS any changes they make to the those files...???

2) Quick question about rsync: Does rsync differentiate between where a certain file came from (source) ? How does it know if a file that is backed up has or has not already been backed up? What I mean is that I have files on my laptop that I want to backup to my freenas using rsync... However, the first sync will take a long time to trasnfer on the network because it is a large amount of data... Thus I was planning on backing up all the files to an external hard drive and then trasnfering those files to my freenas. Then I'll setup rsync to backup files from my laptop so that the first trasnffer doens't take a long time... Will I have issue with this method?

3) Will I run into any issues if both rsync and BTsync are running on the freenas?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
1) 2 completely different things. BTSync (and OwnCloud) are meant to act as replacements for Dropbox/Copy/Box functionality. Generally you wouldnt use RSync for that purpose. The most common use for rsync is for backing up. I think you need to think about what it is you actually want the end product to look like, and what workflow you want to use. RSYNC wont do real time syncing without running some scripts that watch for file changes on the client, or (if you run linux, use lsyncd). BTSync and OwnCloud actually watch for changes and push them immediately.

2) rsync can use a couple of methods to verify a file. It can use checksum, or file metadata (time/date/contents/etc). you shouldnt have a problem with this method assuming the files dont change from the time you copy them to your rsync job

3) again, completely different things. there is no problem running them together because they perform different functions

Zythyr

Dabbler
1) 2 completely different things. BTSync (and OwnCloud) are meant to act as replacements for Dropbox/Copy/Box functionality. Generally you wouldnt use RSync for that purpose. The most common use for rsync is for backing up. I think you need to think about what it is you actually want the end product to look like, and what workflow you want to use. RSYNC wont do real time syncing without running some scripts that watch for file changes on the client, or (if you run linux, use lsyncd). BTSync and OwnCloud actually watch for changes and push them immediately.

2) rsync can use a couple of methods to verify a file. It can use checksum, or file metadata (time/date/contents/etc). you shouldnt have a problem with this method assuming the files dont change from the time you copy them to your rsync job

3) again, completely different things. there is no problem running them together because they perform different functions

2) So let me get this correct. If I a) transfer files from laptop to my external b) transfer from external to freenas c) setup up rsync to backup laptop I won't have a problem. However, if some files on the laptop changes prior to setting up rsync between freenas and laptop, there will be an issue???? So does this mean I cna't do anything on my laptop until all files have been transferred from external to freenas??

Status
Not open for further replies.