FreeNAS Rsync Tasks/Rsync Commandline push to Windows 7 DeltaCopy Server pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to create an rsync push from my FreeNAS box across the same subnet to my Windows 7 DeltaCopy Rsync server. I am consistently getting Rsync Code 10 errors. I have read every manual related to Rsync on the How-To guides and read several MAN pages for Rsync command line operations. I have applied all of the required settings to the best of my ability using the tasks from the web-gui. I have tested my server-pull by doing a push from the local host there successfully. I have also explicitly opened the Windows 7 Firewall for the DeltaCopy server. I have noticed that although I have enabled module mode in Rsync Tasks, the shell output at the bottom of the web-gui states that the connection is failing on port 22. DeltaCopy Rsync (as with other Rsync) listens on port 873. Therefore I have inserted the "--port=873" into the options field under the relevant Rsync Task. When using a commandline I have tried to use variants on
Code:
Rsync -avz --progress --port=873 /mnt/VOLUMENAME/DIRECTORY WINDOWSUSERNAME@192.168.1.109::MODULENAME

This is all that stands between myself and backup/remotebackup goodness :cool:.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I used DeltaCopy as an experiment migrating from a Windows server to FreeNAS. I was able to get it working the first time with no prior experience with rsync at all using only the FreeNAS manual. I recommend you read over the FreeNAS manual.

I recommend you read over the FreeNAS manual.

I have read every manual related to Rsync on the How-To guides and read several MAN pages for Rsync command line operations. I have applied all of the required settings to the best of my ability using the tasks from the web-gui.

I am attempting to Rsync in the opposite direction than you describe noobsauce80 and am therefore using the DeltaCopy server not, the DeltaCopy client, and the FreeNAS Rsync client and, not the Rsync server as you did. Their is quite a bit of documentation on Rsyncing FROM windows to NAS floating around the FreeNAS community but much less on the opposite direction.

Thank you for considering my problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I am attempting to Rsync in the opposite direction than you describe noobsauce80 and am therefore using the DeltaCopy server not, the DeltaCopy client, and the FreeNAS Rsync client and, not the Rsync server as you did. Their is quite a bit of documentation on Rsyncing FROM windows to NAS floating around the FreeNAS community but much less on the opposite direction.

Thank you for considering my problem.

My point was that if you read through the manual(which explains how to use rsync from one FreeNAS server to another FreeNAS server) you should be able to see what you need to set up on the source AND destination. Then just set it up accordingly. The thought processing is exactly what I did. While I sent information in the opposite direction there's no doubt in my mind if I had been trying to go the other way I would have gotten it the first time around by using the FreeNAS manual.

You're not going to get spoonfed from FreeNAS to Windows. It's going to require you to think on your own. You're the first person I've seen on the forums trying to go from FreeNAS to Windows.

JaimieV

Guru
Shouldn't make any significant different, Jonathan - rsync is rsync, doesn't matter about the direction.

Do you get the "code 10" errors (which you should quote) instantly on firing off the rsync task, after connection, aftern login, after a bunch of files copy over, or what?

Add another v or two to your options list to increase the verbosity of the rsync task. It's probably easier to experiment at the FreeNAS command line than using the UI, due to the restricted window size of the results!

Noobsauce: On the one hand I appreciate your candor in telling me that I am "not going to get spoonfed". Quite right. On the other hand I could find your RTM comment as being nothing more than a rude and trite response my question because I have already spent at least 4.5 hours reading those manuals and guides and told you multiple times that I have done so. The fact that your "spoonfed" response comes after I have plainly told you that I have already done so could make me think that you are a troll. I know that isn't true about you however because I have seen you all over this forum being exceedingly helpful. So, I understand if you do not have the answer to my problem but I would appreciate it if, now that you know that I have read the article you are referring to, you would kindly stop telling me to do that repeatedly.

JaimeV: Thank you for identifying my oversight. It is a code 10 error immediately on attempting a connection. I did not realize that I could get verbosity out of that error. I will attempt that and get back to you.

JaimieV

Guru
The extra -vvv might not affect the detail of the error shown, but will reveal exactly what rsync is trying to do when it happens. Do the rsync from the command line and post the results here - include the command line format too (options and whatnot, hide anything you want to about hosts:paths)

mskenderian

Contributor
had the same issue, windows firewall blocks port 873. go into ur firewall or antivirus, and windows firewall and open port 873

Status
Not open for further replies.